Get your margarita on today to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Philadelphia bars and restaurants, of both the Mexican variety and otherwise, are hosting fiestas that include irresistible drink specials, delicious snacks, spicy music and much more.
Check out a few top picks for where to celebrate, below:
• Cantina dos Segundos and Cantina Los Caballitos: The 5th annual Cinco de Mayo party (literally all day, from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.) includes watermelon margaritas, white sangria and an assortment of Mexican snacks. Get it all for the appropriately priced $5.55.
• Distrito: Nosh on tacos, guacamole, nachos and a Cinco de Mayo margarita, all specially priced from $5-7. DJ Lips will get the fiesta going, plus Distrito will also host a Tequila Tasting from 8 to 11 p.m. in the upstairs private dining room.
• El Rey: Leave it to Stephen Starr to hook you up with great drink and food specials; the casual eatery cousin of El Vez doesn’t take reservations so head there early. The “Uno, Dos, Tres, Quattro” happy hour features $1 tacos, $2 Tecates, $3 Coronas and $4 classic margaritas.
• El Vez: Stephen Starr’s original Mexican restaurant will have a DJ, specials, giveaways and a make-your-own T-shirt station.
• Xochitl: Executive Chef Lucio Palazzo will prepare and serve goodies specially crafted for the holiday. Thee tasty dishes are all priced under $10, and the classic Xochitl margarita, made with juiced-to-order limes, is just $6.
• Square 1682: In honor of Cinco de Mayo, Chef Guillermo Tellez will be offering Tostadas de Atun y Guacamole; Queso Fundido con Chorizo y Poblano Rajas; and Enchiladas de Pollo. Wash it all down with their famous Nectar Margarita.
A few more options, below.
• Jolly’s Dueling Piano Bar: They’ll be serving up (in their new location!) beer buckets, $4 margaritas and $3 Landshark Lagers — and there’s no cover. Also, starting at 8 p.m., it’s Jimmy Buffett night. A proper occasion for a trip to Margaritaville.
• Lolita: Marcie Turney is dishing up a three-course prix fixe dinner for $38. It includes tequila-cured salmon tostadas, chile braised short ribs, grilled pork adobado, a Yucatan style chicken breast, and much more. Bring your own tequila for the BYOB’s fresh made mixers and margarita fixings.
• Cantina Feliz: Jose Garces protégé Tim Spinner will celebrate his inaugurak Cinco de Mayo at his own restaurant with 50 different types of tequilas, three flavors of margaritas and a whole, roasted in-house pig.
• Matyson: If you’re seeking a more sophisticated celebration, enjoy a Mexican tasting menu with courses including ahi tuna ceviche, rock shrimp tamales and carne asada with black beans, corn and queso fresco. $45 per person.
• Pub & Kitchen: In addition to drink specials and light appetizers, today’s 6-9 p.m. happy hour benefiting Nest will also feature a global raffle and a small assortment of handcrafted items available for sale (all made by Nest loan recipients). Cover charge is $25.
• Valanni: Up for a “Cinco de Mayo Smackdown”? Two tequilas will be competing to be the favorite for the night: Tequila Patron and Tequila Don Roberto. They’ll also have $5 margaritas and $25 pitchers until 2 a.m., $3 Tecate and Corona, and $5 Latin-inspired tapas (Spicy Pulled Chicken Empanadas, Housemade Guacamole, Chickpeas & Chorizo, Quesadillas).
• Avenida: This Latin-inspired restaurant voted Best Kids Menu by Philadelphia Magazine, celebrates Cinco de Mayo with five $5 food & drink specials that include traditional favorites, margaritas, quesadillas and more. Coconut tres leches cake? Yes please.
• Coyote Crossing: What’s on the table at this authentic Mexican suburban spot: drink specials outside on the patio, $3 beer specials all weekend long, DJ Dance party, $5 margatitas and more.