UPDATE: Due to forecasted weather conditions and possible flooding at FDR Park, the Popped Music Festival has been moved to Temple’s Liacouras Center. The Food Bazaar will now take place at the Piazza from 3-9 p.m. on Saturday. More info here.
The POPPED! Music Festival returns for its fourth year, September 23-24, with a bigger and better lineup than ever before. Over the course of two days, more than 30 diverse acts, from top performers to local talent, will share the stage at FDR Park (a first-time location!), in South Philly across from the sports complex.
You’ll hear groups like The Shins, Foster the People, Black Thought and Girl Talk alongside world-class DJ J. Period (named among “the world’s top DJs” by the New York Times) and indie acts The Hold Steady and Panda Bear.
It’s a giant outdoor community food celebration highlighting an eclectic range of Philadelphia’s food, from gelato to tacos to cupcakes to hot dogs to brick oven pizza. The bazaar will showcase the tastiest bites from Philadelphia’s restaurants, gourmet food trucks and markets. AND it will feature the debut of Questlove’s food project, a signature chicken “drumstick” dish (get it?); see details below.
Plus, the POPPED! Music Festival is committed to sustainability, so food vendors, à la Philly Homegrown, will be embracing local, fresh and healthy food choices. All of the food vendors will also serve their dishes in biodegradable, compostable containers.
The Vendors: (more to be announced)
• Sweet Box: Vendy award winner for Best Dessert! The gourmet mobile cupcake truck specializing in premium ingredient cupcakes will serve Southern Red velvet Cupcakes and Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes.
• Capogiro: Family-owned and operated gelateria will serve up authentic Italian artisan gelato and sorbetto.
• Jimmie’s Cupcakes: Gourmet mobile bakery specializing in hand baked treats made with high quality, fresh ingredients and sprinkled with Jimmies; expect cupcakes, brownies and irresistible ice cream sandwiches.
• KT Cake House: KT’s is a Chester County bakery that offers fresh baked goods made with local farm fresh eggs, milk and produce sold from a licensed mobile food truck. They’ll serve cupcakes (including vegan options) and cakepops.
• Farm Fresh Lunch Truck: This new farm to table mobile food kitchen based out of New Hope has on the menu: Thorpe Farm Bison rib-eye with gruyere cheese, carmelized vadalia onions, and a herb infused horse radish sauce on a brioche roll; and Phillips Farm Portabellapressed on a ciabatta roll with bufallo mozzarella, smoked red pepper, and homemade pesto.
• Made in the Shade: This stand serves multi-flavored lemonade sweetened with agave and twisted with lime. For POPPED! they’re bringing classic, cucumber-mint and ginger-peach flavors.
• ?uest Loves Food (VIP area only): POPPED! is the exciting premiere of ?uestlove’s Signature “The ? Drumstick,” Buttermilk Fried Chicken Drum Sticks from local Lancaster County farms with Homemade Creole Seasoning.
• Cookie Confidential (VIP area only): This locally sourced/organic ingredient cookie and cupcake company is preparing eight cookie varieties, including Raspberry Balsamic, Maple Bacon Oatmeal, Vegan Sriracha Mango and the famous Cheese Steak Cookie, in addition to two flavors of “Cupcake Push Pops.”
• Cantina Dos Segundos: It’s a festive Mexican eatery based in Northern Liberties that’s bringing the spice to FDR Park, with Bacon Guacamole and Chips; Grilled Corn on the Cob with mayo and cotija cheese; and Mexican Hot Dogd (either beef or vegan) with mayo, pickled jalapeños, pico and queso fresco. Um… yum.
See the remainder of the vendors, below.
• The Royal Tavern: Located on Passayunk Avenue, it’s known for having some of the best burgers and sandwiches in Philadelphia. They’ll dish up BBQ Brisket Sliders, Vegetable Mulfuletta and Vegan Potato Salad.
• Scott’s Dogs (VIP area only): This is a brand new cart featuring handmade hot dogs from chef Scott Schroeder of the South Philly Taproom. Scott Dogs came out of Scott’s love of hot dogs from his hometown of Detroit.
• F’real Milkshakes: F’real offers real ice cream milkshakes, real fruit smoothies and gourmet frozen cappuccinos.
• Gigi and Big R: Winner of the Vendy Cup! Combined passion of Caribbean island spices and American southern cuisine makes for delicious food. Expect all the staples: Jerk Chicken, Fried Fish, Macaroni & Cheese and Collard Greens.
• Hardena: This small South Philly restaurant offers a variety of authentic Indonesian dishes. They’ll serve up Beef Rendang, an Indonesian style beef stew; Tempe Lodeh, Tempe stew with tofu and string beans; and Sayur Singkong, a Collard greens stew.
• Cucina Zapata: A blend of Asian favorites with a Mexican twist is never a bad thing. You can get Thai-short rib tacos and Chicken Satay tacos.
• Violette’s Crepes (VIP area only): Serves fresh lemon s Sugar, seasonal fruit jam and classic Nutella crepes.
• Nomad Pizza: A delicious mobile brick oven pizza truck that’s environmentally conscientious to boot, Nomad will serve up margarita and pepperoni personal pizzas.
This is not just your standard festival fare. POPPED! is bringing the best of music and food to Philadelphia, and we simply can’t wait.
POPPED! tickets are available online: 1-day tickets are $59.50, VIP 1-day tickets are $110 (includes access to VIP lounge, food concessions, special beer and wine services and separate festival entrance), and a limited amount of 2-day passes for both regular and VIP admission remain for $110 and $200, respectively.
POPPED! Music Festival
When: Friday, September 23 at 2 p.m.-Saturday, September 24 at 10 p.m.; Food Bazaar Saturday, 3-9 p.m. at the Piazza at Schmidts
Where: NEW LOCATION: Temple’s Liacouras Center, 1776 N. Broad Street
Cost: 1-day passes start at $59.50
More info: www.poppedphiladelphia.org