In honor of Chef Marc Vetri’s newest cookbook, Rustic Italian Food, out this month, GQ Magazine has just published a cool online feature in which Chef Vetri dishes on his top food, drink and music picks in Philadelphia.
The latest feature in the magazine’s series called “The Short Order,” in which top local chefs provide a tour of their city’s go-to spots, Vetri’s roundup highlights Hank’s Place in Chadds Ford, Jose Garces’ Distrito, Capogiro Gelato, La Colombe, Di Bruno Bros., Stephen Starr’s Morimoto, Silk City and Zahav.
Vetri also spotlights Vintage Instruments guitar shop (he’s a guitarist on the side) and Electric Factory to round out his selections.
The article lends Vetri some huge praise. According to the magazine, Mario Batali, Tom Colicchio and Bobby Flay will all vouch for Vetri as the best Italian chef in the entire country.
That’s just how we do it in Philadelphia.
A few choice quotes from Vetri about his picks:
• About Philadelphia: “The variety of food here has made leaps and bounds in the past 10 years. You can get just about anything you want, whether it’s Israeli, Mexican, or Italian… and there’s still room to grow.”
• About Distrito: “Chef Jose Garces is a good friend of mine, and my wife and I love to go here. It’s my favorite of his restaurants.”
• About Capogiro; Vetri agrees it’s the world’s best: “Capogiro is the best gelato inside or outside of the Boot. A couple of years ago, my wife and I went to Rome and looked everywhere for an ice cream place and it was all crap. There are a lot of places in America that do gelato much nicer. I think this one’s at the top of the list. It’s ridiculous. The dark chocolate is my favorite. It’s all about the ingredients, the milk is sourced well, and they spin it up that morning.”
• About Vintage Instruments: “This is the guitar shop to end all guitar shops…. I wouldn’t call myself a collector, but I have about 15 guitars and three are from this shop.”
• About Morimoto: “I eat sushi at least one a week and for the best I go to Morimoto.”
Read the full guide right here.