Pick up one of MANNA's four delicious varieties of pie, or chow down on one of our top picks for pie in Philadelphia. (Credit: iStockPhoto)
November means Thanksgiving, and Thanksgiving means pie.
In honor of MANNA’s annual Thanksgiving-centric “Pie In The Sky” fundraiser, Mayor Nutter will declare this Thursday, November 10 as “Pie Day” in Philadelphia.
Celebrate the delicious christening at Marathon Restaurant, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., with a pie-themed event, featuring a pie sample and tasting, contests, raffles, prizes, an appearance by the Philly Phanatic and more.
In addition, MANNA will be launching their “Spot the Pie Man” contest at Pie Day. The MANNA mascot Pie Man will be traveling around Center City on November 10 from noon-2 p.m., tweeting and Facebook-posting clues to where he is. Tweet or post where you spotted Pie Man, and you’ll be automatically entered into a raffle to win exciting prizes.
Also note that MANNA’s pies will be the featured as “Deal of the Day” on Groupon November 10, and MANNA will be on the PECO Crown Lights November 11-13.
MANNA is selling four pies this year, with (as always) proceeds going towards Philadelphians coping with a life-threatening illness. Choose from the Signature “Sky Pie,” a rich cheesecake with caramel and walnuts; pumpkin pie; apple pie; and Southern pecan pie.
In addition, check out our top picks for pies in Philadelphia, either to enjoy on site or take home for your Thanksgiving feast:
• Percy Street Barbecue: The Best of Philly 2011 winner for pies, Percy Street creamy key lime or dense, sweet Pecan pie are both irresistible.
• Beiler’s Bakery at Reading Terminal Market: This Amish bakery selling homemade baked goods makes a mean shoofly pie, the Pennsylvania Dutch classic.
• Wedge & Fig: Pick up a Spiced Pumpkin or Apple Crumb pie, baked specially for Thanksgiving at this new cheese specialty shop and cafe in Old City.
• Darling’s Diner: Darling’s is known for their cheesecakes, but their pies are straight-up delicious as well. Choose from Chocolate Mousse, Key West Key Lime and more, either sliced or whole.
• Jones: Jones is still the destination for creative comfort food, no more so than with the dessert menu. From the twisted key lime pie with blackberry sauce and lime shortbread to the triple chocolate mud pie with chocolate pretzel crunch, you cannot go wrong.
• Belle Cakery: The newest spot on East Passyunk Avenue, from Fond’s proprietor/pastry chef Jessie Prawlucki, hasn’t even opened yet but in the meantime delicious Thanksgiving treats are available, including pies. To place an order call (215) 271-2299 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your order, name, phone number and approximate pick-up time during pick-up hours, which are November 23 from noon–8 p.m. or November 24 from 9 a.m.–noon. Orders must be received by November 17.
MANNA’s Pie Day Celebration
When: Thursday, November 10, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Where: Marathon Restaurant, 1818 Market Street
More info: www.mannapa.org