December 13, 2011
Roundup: Where To Eat Out For Christmas Dinner In Philadelphia; Our Top Picks For Christmas Eve Dining, Too
You’ve spent the past few weeks preparing for the holidays by wrapping presents, hanging stockings and decorating the tree, so it’s time to take a break and let some of the region’s top chefs take care of your holiday meal.
From extravagant brunches to fanciful feasts, restaurants throughout the Philadelphia area will make your Christmas Eve or Christmas Day meal one to remember.
Check out a few of our top picks for holiday meals, below:
Christmas Eve: Saturday, December 24
• 10 Arts by Eric Ripert: Celebrate the season at 10 Arts by Eric Ripert with a special six-course Christmas Eve dinner from 5:30–10 p.m. that includes lobster bisque, rack of lamb and chocolate gingerbread mousse cake from 2–8 p.m. ($110 per person; $55 for children 4–12)
• Bistrot La Minette: Sit down to a luxurious traditional French Christmas Dinner at Bistro la Minette (December 15–24). Feast on a six-course meal including oysters on the half shell, roasted chestnut soup and butter-poached lobster and cap off your meal with a chocolate yule log with toasted bread ice cream. ($65 per person; $100 including optional wine pairing)
• Bistro St. Tropez: Let Chef Patrice Rames and his team at Bistro St. Tropez do the cooking this Christmas Eve with a special five-course degustation menu which includes split pea soup with smoked Virginia ham, seared duck breast, assorted cheeses, desserts and more. ($48 per person; wine paring for an additional $30. A three-course meal is also available for $28 per person)
• Fork: Enjoy the treasures of the sea with Fork’s four-course seafood menu on Christmas Eve including crispy calamari with smelts and caper sauce, Zuppa di Vongole with fennel and tomato broth and a surprise Christmas dessert. ($65 per person; optional wine pairing for $25)
• Le Virtù: Head to East Passyunk Avenue for a comforting Italian meal at Le Virtù featuring Timballo, layered crepes with pork sausuage and Torcinelli, fried anise-and-raisin dough tossed in sugar with eggnog sauce. ($65 per person)
• Positano Coast: Get a taste of the Mediterranean during a five-course dinner at Positano Coast. Highlights include Fritto Misto with calamari, baby shrimp, flounder and zucchini, sea urchin pasta and seafood risotto and a sampler of homemade desserts. ($55 for two. Optional wine paring available for $15 extra).
• Susanna Foo: Start a new holiday tradition with the award-winning Asian dishes at Susanna Foo Gourmet Kitchen, open from noon–9 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
• The Twisted Tail: Carnivores rejoice! In addition to their regular menu, the Twisted Tail will be celebrating with a Christmas Carvery, featuring stations of sliced roasted beef and pork and sides including roasted potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes and more from 5-10 p.m. ($25 per person)
• Verdad: Head to the Main Line’s preeminent Latin-influenced tapas and tequila bar Christmas Eve for an evening of traditional Spanish holiday cuisine including seafood pasta, patatas brava and churros from 4–8 p.m. ($35 per person)
• Village Belle: The Village Belle is celebrating Christmas Eve with a four-course meal featuring escarole soup, Patricia’s Seafood Cioppino and Buche de Noel. ($45 per person)
• Meme: Chef David Katz will be preparing a Christmas goose, served family-style along with his famous buttermilk biscuits and free eggnog. ($35 per person)
Christmas Day: Sunday, December 25
• 10 Arts by Eric Ripert: Chef de Cuisine Nathan Voltz at 10 Arts by Eric Ripert is offering a four-course tasting menu on Christmas Day that includes lobster bisque, rack of lamb and chocolate gingerbread mousse cake from 2–8 p.m. ($110 per person; $55 for children 4 – 12)
• Balcony Restaurant: Sit high above the Avenue of the Arts on Christmas Day and enjoy a special holiday breakfast, brunch and dinner at Balcony at the Doubletree by Hilton Center City.
• Bridget Foy’s: Bridget Foy’s on South Street has your traditional Christmas dinner covered with favorites like turkey, glazed ham and filet mignon from 2–9 p.m.
Hungry yet? Continue reading for additional delicious Christmas Day dining options, below.
• Chez Colette: Enjoy a leisurely brunch-styled buffet at Chez Colette in the Sofitel ($21 per person) or a special holiday prix-fixe menu featuring Maine lobster bisque, French cheese and traditional desserts. ($36 per person)
• Fountain Restaurant: Put on your Sunday best for a special Christmas day feast at the Fountain Restaurant and Swann Lounge at the Four Seasons. Seatings are available until 6:30 p.m. at the Swann Lounge and 7 p.m. at Fountain Restaurant. ($98 per person)
• Glenmorgan Bar & Grill at the Radnor Hotel: Experience a wonderful Christmas dinner at Glenmorgan Bar & Grill at the Radnor Hotel from featuring chef specials like rack of lamb and twin lobster tails from 3–9 p.m.
• Lacroix: Lacroix at the Rittenhouse Hotel will be serving a lavish Christmas day brunch all day long. ($75 per person)
• Nineteen – XIX: Nineteen will be adding several festive additions to their menu Christmas day from 4–8 p.m.
• Paramour at the Wayne Hotel: Paramour’s Executive Chef Michael Giampa will be preparing a special four-course dinner Christmas Day featuring caramelized cauliflower soup with Maine lobster and corn relish, rack of wild board and a holiday pie sampler. ($65 per person; optional wine paring for $30)
• The Plough and the Stars: Make your reservations now for The Plough and the Stars’ special Christmas dinner menu, served from noon–8:15 p.m.
• R2L: You may see Santa flying by as you enjoy a special Christmas Day Supper at R2L on the 37th floor of Two Liberty Place. The family-style meal features crab-stuffed mushroom caps, house-made ham long, prime rib and a dessert buffet. ($65 per person; $30 for children 12 and under)
• SoleFood: Head to the Loews Philadelphia Hotel for a three-course prix fixe Christmas dinner at SoleFood featuring seared salmon, roasted Lancaster chicken and traditional desserts from 5:30–10 p.m. ($36 per person; $10 for children)
• Susanna Foo: Try something new this holiday with the award-winning Asian dishes at Susanna Foo Gourmet Kitchen, open from 4–8 p.m. on Christmas Day.
• Tavern 17: Get in the festive spirit at Tavern 17 with a three-course Christmas dinner from 2–8 p.m. ($40 per person; $20 for children 3-10)