December 14, 2011
Tonight Picks: East Passyunk Santa Bar Crawl, Chestnut Hill’s Stag & Doe Nights, Free Library Raven Society Holiday Fete And More
[Evenings during the holiday season in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can't-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
• Raven Society’s 6th Annual Holiday Fete: The Raven Society, the Free Library of Philadelphia’s membership group for supporters in their 20s and 30s, is hosting its 6th Annual Holiday Fete inside the Central Branch’s newly renovated Popular Library, Besides the great view of the city skyline, you’ll be able to enjoy drinks (Victory beer!), hors d’oeuvres, live music and even livelier book talk with other library supporters and literary mavens.
Where: Central Library, newly renovated Popular Library, 1901 Vine Street
When: Wednesday, December 14, 6 p.m.
Cost: $10 for members, $20 for non-members
• Spirits & Suds with Santa East Passyunk Bar Crawl: A dozen bars and restaurants along East Passyunk Avenue will be offering one draft craft beer for $3 and one cocktail or wine-based drink for $4. Registration will be held at The Bottle Shop from 5:30-8 p.m. The $5 admission gets you the drink specials at each of the listed bars, a Santa or Elf hat and Santa’s Sipping Stamp Card.
Where: Along East Passyunk Avenue
When: Wednesday, December 14, 5:30-11 p.m.
Cost: $5 registration, then pay as you go
There are more ideas for how to spend your evening, below.
• Square 1682′s 12 Days Of Christmas Cocktails and Wednesday Wrapping Party: Square 1682 will feature a different holiday cocktail for just $7 from happy hour until close, through December 23. Tonight’s is the Cheerful Irishman made with Jameson Irish Whiskey, Kahlua and mint schnapps. You can also take part in the weekly Wednesday Wrapping Party featuring $3 beer and cocktails as well as complimentary wrapping paper.
Where: 121 S. 17th Street
When: Wednesday, December 14, wrapping party 8-10 p.m.; cocktails 5 p.m.-close
Cost: $7 Christmas cocktails, $3 beer and cocktails
• Chestnut Hill’s Stag & Doe Nights: Every Wednesday through December 21 from 6-9 p.m., Chestnut Hill truly shines as its one-of-a-kind shops open their doors and welcome you with wonderful gift ideas, refreshments and personalized service. Stroll Germantown Avenue and savor the festive decorations, including lights twinkling in the trees, carolers singing on the street and fresh pine boughs decorating the shops.
Where: Along Germantown Avenue
When: Wednesday, December 14, 6-9 p.m.
Cost: Pay as you go
• Holiday Pops Concert: Ring in this festive time of year with Peter Nero and the Philly Pops’ annual Holiday Pops concert, featuring the delightful, nostalgic seasonal tunes Philadelphians have come to cherish. This year’s show features Ashley Brown, famous for originating the role of Mary Poppins on Broadway.
Where: Kimmel Center’s Verizon Hall, 260 S. Broad Street
When: Wednesday, December 14, 8 p.m.
Cost: Tickets start at $26
• King of Prussia Mall’s annual Pet Photo Night: This year, 102.9 WMGK radio personality John DeBella will participate in the festivities as families and pets arrive in their best holiday outfits to take a photo with Santa. The mall is also partnering up with Finding Shelter, an animal rescue organization that seeks to find safe and happy homes for homeless animals. The mall will donate $5 from every photo package sold.
Where: lower level of the Bloomingdale’s Court
When: Wednesday, December 14, 6-9 p.m.
Cost: Photo packages start at $21
• Friends of Schuylkill Banks Holiday Party at Milkboy: Join in the second annual holiday party to help raise funds for winter maintenance of the Schuylkill Banks. $10 cover at the door will support the park. Enjoy drink specials, raffle prizes and music from DJ Handsome Sam and the Penn Glee Club.
Where: 1100 Chestnut Street
When: Wednesday, December 14, 8-11 p.m.
Cost: $10 cover