Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, which means that the shelves at Philly-area card and gift shops are taking on a recognizable color scheme of red, white and pink.
Our advice: bypass that last-minute trip to the corner drugstore, and snag your cards and gifts now for the best selection. The following stores have everything you need to put a smile on your sweetie’s face.
For the creative, do-it-yourself types, there’s even a couple card-making workshops to choose from. Our guide to local valentine-making, below:
Local Spots for Cards
• Nice Things Handmade: Everything in this East Passyunk Avenue boutique is handmade, from cards and clothing to jewelry and housewares.
• Paper on Pine: Stop into this Midtown stationery shop for a cute card, and be sure to peruse their selection of candies and scented candles.
• Paper Source: From Valentine’s Day-themed rubber stamps to heart-shaped spatulas, Paper Source has everything you need to make an impression on February 14. There are two locations: one on Walnut Street and one in Suburban Square.
• Papyrus: You’ll find a range of Valentine’s Day cards at Papyrus, from the traditional to the zany, along with picture frames and sweetly-scented soaps and candles. There’s a shop in Rittenhouse plus one at the King of Prussia mall.
• Square Peg Artery and Salvage: Handmade gifts from cards to coasters take center stage at Square Peg.
Continue reading, below.
• The Paperia: With a wide selection of wrapping paper and tissue, a visit to The Paperia in Ardmore will ensure your gift makes the best impression possible.
• Two Paper Dolls: This Main Line store specializes in letterpress, and even sells Philly-themed tees, prints, and funky clocks via their e-shop.
• Black Heart Letterpress will host Letterpress for Lovers, a card-making workshop, on February 5 and 11. The free event is open to the public, and will allow crafty people to print their own Valentine’s Day card using Black Heart’s letter press. And in the event that your custom creation doesn’t end up quite as you envisioned, Black Heart Letterpress will be selling their own handmade cards and gifts.
• The experts at Paper Source will lead the My Sweet Valentine Workshop on January 26, at each of the shop’s two local stores, Walnut Street and Ardmore. The session costs $26, and will provide eventgoers with everything they need to create an awesome, one-of-a-kind Valentine’s Day card. In addition, attendees can expect complimentary snacks and beverages.