Mothers Day, May 13, is a great opportunity to enjoy either brunch or dinner al fresco. (Left photo courtesy 333 Belrose, right courtesy Hyatt Regency at Penn's Landing)
Let’s be honest: Moms are always worth the splurge.
Given all their hard work that goes unnoticed, it’s a good thing we have Mothers Day (which falls on Sunday, May 13 this year) to remind us to appreciate the moms of the world. It’s also a good thing that Philadelphia restaurants have got you covered for brunch and dinner on Mom’s special day.
And some non-restaurants (see below) are offering exciting brunch packages with activities attached.
Below, we present our top picks for Mothers Day meals:
• Bistrot La Minette: Chef Peter Woolsey has put together a $40 prix fixe menu that he’ll be offering all day. The three courses include a host of classic French recipes, prepared with his signature decadent flair. Try the mustard-braised rabbit with homemade tagliatelle, or the salade savoyarde, with lardons, potatoes and sumptuous Comté cheese.
• Hyatt Regency: The Hyatt Regency at Penn’s Landing is serving an elaborate Mothers Day brunch, with something for everyone — and then some. The $50-per-person meal ($25 for children 12 and under) includes a seafood station with seared tuna, a carving station with grilled flank steak and much, much more. Best of all, everyone’s favorite part of the meal is given the royal treatment, with more than a dozen dessert offerings including chocolate fondue and classic crème brulee.
• Balcony: If Mom is looking to get more decadent this year, the new restaurant at the Doubletree Hotel on Avenue of the Arts is offering a buffet of comfort food favorites. On the $34 menu ($15 for kids) are grilled cheese with tomato soup, homestyle roast turkey sandwiches and a create-your-own mac and cheese bar.
• 333 Belrose: Radnor eatery 333 Belrose is a great choice for al fresco dining this Mothers Day. A brunch buffet will be offered at $31.95 for adults and $12.95 for children, and standard dinner service will begin at 3 p.m.
• The Prime Rib: Frequently rated the best steakhouse in the city, Rittenhouse Square’s The Prime Rib opens at 2 p.m. on Mothers Day for refined dining in their throwback atmosphere.
• Square 1682: Swanky restaurant and lounge Square 1682 at the Hotel Palomar is serving their a la carte menu with special additions, as well as globally-inspired grand breakfast buffet for $45, or $20 for children.
More Mother’s Day picks, below.
• Davio’s: The popular Northern Italian steakhouse is serving a luxe three-course feast this Mothers Day. The $55 menu is available 1-8 p.m.
• The Palm: The historic steakhouse is offering its regular menu all day on Mothers Day, and offering a $25 gift card to every mom who dines.
• Victory Brewpub: The top-notch craft brewery’s Downingtown restaurant is opening its doors to beer-loving moms and their families for a $20 ($10 for kids) brunch buffet, featuring many American classics.
• Loews Philadelphia: Enjoy the view from the hotel’s historic 33rd floor as you dine on a sumptuous Buffet Brunch with seatings at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. $40 Adults, $16 Children (5–12), Children under 5 are complimentary.
Meals and More
• Top of the Tower: For moms who like a view, Top of the Tower is opening its doors — usually closed but for private events — for a seriously elaborate brunch buffet. Highlights of the $50-per-person menu include prime rib, lemon-sage chicken and bananas foster french toast.
• The Clay Studio: This ceramics center in Old City is offering a triple whammy of Mothers Day fun, with brunch, mimosas and pottery. First enjoy a catered meal with your loved ones, plus that classic brunch cocktail. Then move onto the potter’s wheel for an instructional workshop where you’ll make a creation that’s yours to keep.
• Penns Woods Winery: Just a 35-minute drive from downtown, this local winery features more than just grapes on Mothers Day. For $50, Moms can take part in an hour-long yoga class, followed by a tasting of wine, chocolate and cheese.
• Betsy Ross House: The historic Betsy Ross House in Old City hosts a playful Mothers Day tea every year. Tickets to the Saturday, May 12 event are $20 and available here.