June 7, 2012
It’s hard not to love vintage. Vintage wine. Vintage cars. But especially, vintage clothing.
Fortunately, there is no shortage of vintage clothing stores in Philadelphia.
Regardless of whether your retro style is Donna Reed or Donna Summer, there is surely a shop where you can find the perfect ensemble from a beloved bygone time.
Our top picks for vintage shops in Philadelphia:
• Vagabond: 37 N. 3rd Street. An oldie, but a goodie. This Old City staple is a cool blend of old and new (clothing, shoes, jewelry, bags). It delivers today’s cutting-edge fashion trends, while continuing to bring unique vintage items to the table.
• Sugarcube: 124 N. 3rd Street. This spacious Old City boutique provides customers with a select pairing of both vintage and contemporary items (primarily from super hip independent designers not found elsewhere).
• Sazz Vintage Clothing: 60 N. 3rd Street. Sazz recently moved a few doors down from its original quarters, but still calls Old City home. While it has mostly men’s vintage (disco attire, blazers, western shirts, vintage T-shirts), they now offer choice women’s vintage clothing and estate jewelry from the 1940s-1980s.
South Street/Fabric Row/Queen Village
Retrospect: 508 South Street. Retrospect’s vintage emporium has surprises waiting around every corner. Not only do they carry vintage clothing and accessories, but they have retro furniture, housewares and tchotchkes galore. See inside the shop in this Philly 101 video.
• Astro Vintage Boutique: 702 S. 5th Street. A pair of bell bottoms was the inspiration behind this vintage shop. The owner’s fondness for the 50’s means you can expect her to keep an eye out for pencil skirts, cat-eye glasses and numerous other classic accessories.
• Philly AIDS Thrift: 514 Bainbridge Street. A non-profit whose mission is to sell the lovely, useful and interesting stuff generous people donate and then distribute the proceeds to local organizations involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS. As they like to say, “Here’s to fashion that makes you feel as good as you look!”
• Wilbur Vintage: 716 S. 4th Street. This boutique is stocked with hard-to-find items like retro clothing toys, and jewelry. Tip: don’t miss the vintage sunglass table displayed every summer.
• Second Time Around: 1728 Chestnut Street. Second Time Around is a premier consignment company, offering customers and consignors the best in upscale resale. You’ll find everything from Chloe satchels to Belstaff leather jackets.
• Hello World and Hello Home: 257 S. 20th Street, 1004 Pine Street. Two locations to bring you everything vintage that you need for yourself and your home. Before you redecorate your living room, be sure to check out their huge array of vintage lamps, tables, and chairs.
Washington Square West/Antique Row
• Addiction Studio: 1024 Pine Street. Part consignment shop, part make-up studio, part vintage. OK, there’s only one vintage rack. But it’s a doozie! It’s full of vintage items by top-notch couture designers like Chloe, Versace and Gucci.
• Philadelphia Vintage and Consignment Shoppe: 111 S. 12th Street. Prices start at $30 at this new-ish vintage (ha) shop just off Midtown Village. Seek out vintage hats, skirts, dresses, bags and more.
• Curated Goods: 421 Fairmount Avenue. This new kid in town specializes in mid-century furniture, décor, vintage apparel and more.