June 14, 2012
The Kimmel Center has announced the first installment of its 2012/13 season programs for the “Kimmel Center Presents” season, and the lineup looks awesome.
New hot ticket items include:
• 7 Fingers: Fresh from their 2011 Live Arts Festival smash hit Traces, Montreal-based circus company 7 Fingers returns with the U.S. premiere of Sequence 8, September 18-23 at the Merriam Theater.
• Ben Harper: Grammy® winner Ben Harper performs an evening of stellar acoustic music on October 3 in the Merriam Theater.
• Shaquille O’Neal All Star Comedy Jam: The Shaquille O’Neal All Star Comedy Jam arrives at the Academy of Music on November 17 with a lineup that includes Host Gary Owen, fresh off his co-starring role in the blockbuster hit Think Like a Man; Capone, known as “The Gangsta of Comedy,” Tony Roberts, “The Comedian’s Comedian,” and Michael Blackson, “The African King of Comedy.”
• Chick Corea: Jazz legend Chick Corea performs with vibraphone virtuoso Gary Burton and New York’s Harlem String Quartet in Verizon Hall on November 9.
• Monterey Jazz Festival 55th Anniversary Tour: The longest continuously-running jazz festival in the world lands on the Merriam stage on February 2 with Dee Dee Bridgewater, Christian McBride, Benny Green, Lewis Nash, Chris Potter and Ambrose Akinmusire.
Cool Kimmel Center programming outside of the “Kimmel Center Presents” season includes:
• American Idiot: Based on Green Day’s groundbreaking rock opera of the same name, this daring new musical, February 12-17, tells the story of three lifelong friends, forced to choose between their dreams and the safety of suburbia.
• Catch Me If You Can: Calling all Leonardo DiCaprio lovers… Based on the hit DreamWorks film and the incredible true story that inspired it, Catch Me If You Can, January 15-20, is the high-flying, splashy new Broadway musical that tells the story of Frank W. Abagnale, Jr., a teenager who runs away from home in search of the glamorous life.
Single tickets can be purchased by calling (215) 893-1999 or online. Tickets are also available at the Kimmel Center box office, open daily from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (later on performance evenings). For group sales, call 215-790-5883.
Broad and Spruce Streets