Square Peg's Tastykake Apple Pie Milkshake, spiked with Jim Beam, White Tail Caramel Whiskey and Apple Pie Tastykake Apple Vodka, adds an edge to a chilly summer treat that just can't be beat. (Photo courtesy Square Peg)
What’s better than a cold and creamy milkshake during the scorching summertime? A spiked, cold and creamy milkshake.
Luckily, there are a few choice options for boozy beverages in Philadelphia this summer, creative takes on a kiddie classic.
And coincidentally, The Print Center is hosting a Boozy Milkshakes BYO Social this Wednesday, July 18, 6-8 p.m. Meet special guest artist James Johnson and enjoy BYO spiked milkshakes; you bring the alcohol, they mix the milkshakes. And it’s free!
Our top picks for milkshakes with an adult twist, below:
• Village Whiskey: For $6-9, get a milkshake with a twist at Chef Jose Garces’ whiskey bar. There are currently three options (a fourth is non-alcoholic). Our two favorites: the Irish Car Bomb (devil’s food cake brushed with Negra Modelo and chocolate pastry cream flavored with Jameson and Bailey’s, blended into vanilla and chocolate ice cream and topped with a piece of cake); and Cherry Garces (cherry chocolate chip ice cream and chocolate sauce mixed with rum topped with Amarena cherries).
• Frankford Hall: $6 Spiked Shakes have been added to the Frankford Hall menu, including Jack N’ S’mores, Orange Creamsicle and Honey Graham. Delicious.
• Golosa: A chocolate bar/dessert lounge is an ideal spot for sophisticated milkshakes, and Queen Village’s Golosa obliges with 14 varieties — all chocolate — with accent flavors such as lavender, orange and pink pepper. They also allow patrons to bring their own libations to spike any of the shakes as desired: they suggest, specifically, Dark Rum, Tequila, Vodka or Bourbon Whiskey for the best flavor combo.
• Square Peg: At this American diner-inspired restaurant in the former Marathon space in Washington Square West, Matt Levin, former owner and chef of Adsum, is serving up his typically crazy inventive dishes. The six spiked milkshakes are freaking delicious; our favorites are the Apple Pie (Jim Bean, White Tail Caramel Whiskey, Apple Pie Tastykake, Apple Vodka, topped with cinnamon) and Banana Split (Dark Chocolate Van Gogh Vodka, Banana Liqueur, Strawberry Cruzan Rum, Trader Vic’s Macadamia Nut, strawberry puree).
• Bobby’s Burger Palace: Leave it to a celebrity chef to reinvent the classics. Bobby Flay’s Burger Palace in University City has three signature spiked shakes (Vanilla Caramel Bourbon, Pineapple Coconut Rum and Mocha Kahlua Vodka) in addition to a host of virgin shakes and malteds in tempting flavors like dark chocolate, pistachio and cola.
• Burger Bar: The milkshakes at Mayfair’s Burger Bar at Gallo’s Seafood are spiced up with bourbon (the Caramel Bourbon shake) and Kahlua (the Knight Rider), but for the teetotalers, there are also more innocent shakes in flavors like Mudslide and Monkey Business.
• PYT: At PYT at The Piazza at Schmidts, the boozy ice cream cocktails are called “adultshakes,” with varieties like The Bubble Ohh (vanilla ice cream, jimmies and Three-O Bubble vodka), the Jon Valdez (espresso ice cream, Kahlua and Patron) and the ?uestlove, named for (duh) the famed Roots drummer (Frangelico, Bailey’s Irish Cream and vanilla ice cream).
Honorable mention: How about an alcoholic root beer float? Percy Street Barbecue serves Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout with a big, creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream. Delicious.