July 25, 2012
Tonight Picks: Center City Sips, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Performs “The Legend Of Zelda” At The Mann Center, Uwishunu Happy Hour At Frankford Hall And More
[Summer nights in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can't-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
• Center City Sips: The summer’s happiest happy hour returns tonight, with $5 cocktails, $4 wine, $3 beer and half-price appetizers at an impressive 88 bars throughout Center City.
When: June 6–August 29, Wednesdays 5–7 p.m.
Where: 83 bars in Center City
Cost: $5 cocktails, $4 wine, $3 beer and half-price appetizers
• 2012 University City Dining Days Kick Off: One of the Philadelphia area’s best restaurant deals is back for the summer starting tonight: University City Dining Days. 34 restaurants in the University City neighborhood will be offering three-course prix-fixe menus at either the $15, $25 or $30 price point.
Where: 34 restaurants in University City
When: Through Thursday, July 26
Cost: 3-course menus starting at $15
• Uwishunu Philly 101 Happy Hour at Frankford Hall: Don’t forget that tonight, Uwishunu is hosting a special Philly 101 Happy Hour at Frankford Hall. Join us in celebrating the wrap of the Philly 101 Video Series. Frankford Hall will graciously be extending its happy hour specials to 8 p.m. Enjoy 1/2 liter drafts for $5 and deals on delicious snacks like Bavarian pretzels and sausages. Plus ping pong, Jenga and the company of a few Philly 101 stars. And it’s supposed to be perfect party weather.
Where: Frankford Hall, 1210 Frankford Avenue
When: Wednesday, July 25, 6-8 p.m.
Cost: Free admission; pay as you go
• 2012 MLS All-Star Game: The game is sold out, but you can still partake in the festivities. There’s a 2012 MLS All-Star Soccer Celebration at PPL Park’s West Plaza from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., which includes an interactive fan zone, soccer themed games, giveaways, MLS autograph booths and much more. Then, at 8:30 p.m., the main event begins inside the park.
Where: PPL Park, One Stadium Drive, Chester
When: Wednesday, July 25, 8:30 p.m.; free celebration is 4-8 p.m.
• “Steamy Summer Cinema Series” at the National Museum of American Jewish History: A Walk on the Moon: Tonight’s edition of the “Steamy Summer Cinema Series” (the last one in the series!) stars Diane Lane, Viggo Mortensen and Liev Schreiber.
Where: 101 S. Independence Mall East
When: Wednesday, July 25, 6 p.m. light reception, 7 p.m. film
Cost: $8 for members and $10 for non-members
• “P.M. @ Penn Museum” Weekly Summer Night Concert Series: Featuring a mix of international music styles displaying sounds of Brazil’s popular bossa nova beats, funk fusion and Middle Eastern folk/rock, the Penn Museum’s series of summertime tunes will take place out in the gardenscape (indoors in the event of rain) with drinks and bites available at the garden bar. Admission is just $5 for the three-hour fest (5-8 p.m.), and it includes entry to explore the museum’s galleries which are open late until 8 p.m.
Where: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, 3260 South Street
When: Wednesday, June 20-Wednesday, August 29, 5-8 p.m.
More Tonight Picks, below.
• Summer Vacation Wednesdays at Twenty Manning Grill: Say “Ciao, Italia!” tonight at Twenty Manning Grill with a choice of 3 delicious Italian dishes for $20, available at the bar and in the dining room.
Where: 261 S. 20th Street
When: Wednesday, July 25, 5-7 p.m.
Cost: Pay as you go
• “Quench” Happy Hour at The Four Seasons: The Four Seasons Philadelphia has introduced “Quench” on the Swann Terrace, a new weekly happy hour under the sky. Every Wednesday from 5-8 p.m. (that means today), you can enjoy food and drink specials on the beautiful outdoor terrace.
Where: The Four Seasons Hotel (1 Logan Square)
When: Wednesday, July 25, 5-8 p.m.
Cost: Pay as you go
• Cool Wednesdays in Old City: From 5-8 p.m., enjoy the district’s numerous happy hours, from a cool martini and tapas at Stephen Starr’s Continental Martini Bar to half-price drinks and discounted food at local favorite FARMiCiA. The options are endless. Afterward, peruse the art galleries (open late) or shop at the many boutiques, book stores and wine and gourmet shops.
Where: Various locations around Old City
When: Every Wednesday in July and August
Cost: Pay as you go
• Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra – The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses at the Mann Center: Featuring dynamic and compelling video accompanied by sensational, thematic and action-packed music played live by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, The Legend of Zelda™: Symphony of the Goddesses brings the world’s most popular video game series to life. Enjoy original music spanning 25 years of adventure from the celebrated Zelda franchise, uniting sound and visuals in a way never before realized. The Legend of Zelda™: Symphony of the Goddesses is the first-ever video game-themed concert to feature a complete four-movement symphony, showcasing the work of Nintendo composer and sound director Koji Kondo.
Where: 5201 Parkside Avenue
When: Wednesday, July 25, 8:30 p.m.
Cost: Tickets start at $19.50
• Whenever Wednesday at International House: This edition of the Institute of Contemporary Art’s Whenever Wednesdays is hosted at the International House’s Ibrahim Theater, a special screening of Wildness with Director Wu Tsang. The movie is a documentary portrait of the Silver Platter, a historic bar in the MacArthur Park neighborhood that has been home to Latin LGBT immigrant communities since 1963. It’s free, but RSVP here.
Where: 3701 Chestnut Street
When: Wednesday, July 25, 7 p.m.
Cost: Free; RSVP online
• RAAMP It Up! Wednesday at the African American Museum: Join AAMP after work for an evening of extended gallery hours and live outdoor music (tonight features a dynamic set of 70s and 80s R&B and soul jams) from across the Diaspora. Meet up with friends, meet someone new, tour the museum or relax on the plaza.
Where: 701 Arch Street
When: Wednesday, July 25, 5:30-7:30 p.m.