July 26, 2012
Tonight Picks: Two Movies On Two Waterfronts, Last Night Of University City Dining Days, Mega-Bad Movie Night At Academy Of Natural Sciences And More
[Summer nights in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can't-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
• Best of the ’80s Outdoor Summer Movie Series at Liberty Lands: Every Thursday at 8:30 p.m. through August 30, Liberty Lands is screening your 80s favorites on a giant inflatable screen. Bring a chair or a blanket and some snacks and enjoy a relaxed summer night outdoors.
Where: Liberty Lands Park, 926 N. American Street
When: Every Thursday through August 30, 8:30 p.m.
• Movie Nights on the Schuylkill Banks: Bring your friends, blanket and picnic basket for a great time watching viewer’s choice movies by the river. New this year, come early to participate in a free pre-movie raffle for prizes from Philadelphia Runner. Tonight’s movie is O Brother, Where Art Thou? starring George Clooney.
When: Every other Thursday at dusk from June 14-August 23
Where: By the Walnut Street Bridge
• Penn’s Landing’s “Screenings Under The Stars”: Watch The Help tonight on the River Stage on Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. Pack a picnic.
Where: River Stage on Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, Columbus Boulevard at Chestnut Street
When: Thursday, July 26, 8 p.m.
• 2012 University City Dining Days: One of the Philadelphia area’s best restaurant deals concludes tonight; don’t miss out! 34 restaurants in the University City neighborhood are offering three-course prix-fixe menus at either the $15, $25 or $30 price point.
Where: 34 restaurants in University City
When: Through Thursday, July 26
Cost: 3-course menus starting at $15
• $5 After 5 at the National Constitution Center: Get $5 admission to the NCC each Thursday through August 30 when you enter from 5-8 p.m. It’s a great opportunity to escape the heat and spend an evening cooling down in the A.C. while taking in some of the summer’s richest programming.
Where: 525 Arch Street
When: Thursdays 5-8 p.m., through August 30
• IBU Smackdown at Iron Hill Chestnut Hill: Head brewer Paul Rutherford of Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant will host a spirited IBU Smackdown pitting his Ultimate Warrior IPA, a big-time American IPA, against his Belgian Full Nelson, a Belgian double witbier, in a cask challenge to determine the fan favorite between these two heavyweights. A fun menu of hot dogs, named for pro wrestlers, will also be available, plus other exciting surprises.
Where: 8400 Germantown Avenue
When: Thursday, July 26, 5 p.m.
Cost: Pay as you go
More Tonight Picks, below.
• Mega-Bad Movie Night At Academy Of Natural Sciences: Join the Academy after hours to watch some “awesomely awful” movies. The Academy’s experts will be onstage to comment on the many scientific absurdities. Before the show, 6:30-8 p.m., grab some snacks and a beer, and check out the many cool things on display. The movie starts at 8 p.m.; tonight’s feature is Batman & Robin with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Register to attend online.
Where: 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
When: Thursday, July 26, 6:30-10 p.m.
• Grid magazine presents Grid Alive: Join Alex Mulcahy, Grid publisher, and Nic Esposito, urban farmer and novelist, as they bring some of the people featured in the August issue to the stage. Expect a fun, talk show-like affair, with live music and local beer and wine.
Where: Trinity Memorial Church, 22nd and Spruce Streets
When: Thursday, July 26, doors at 7 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
• Free Philadelphia Orchestra Concert at Curtis Arboretum: The orchestra’s 2012 Neighborhood Concert Series kicks off tonight at the gorgeous Curtis Arboretum in Wyncote.
Where: 1250 W. Church Road, Wyncote
When: Thursday, July 26, 7 p.m.
• “In The Pocket: Essential Songs of Philadelphia” Rocks The Chestnut Cabaret: The Hooters’ David Uosikkinen’s “In The Pocket” will play their final show of the summer at The Blockley, formerly known as the Chestnut Cabaret. Celebrate the best rock-n-roll that Philly has to offer. WMMR’s Pierre Robert will host the show. Tickets are available online.
Where: The Blockley, 3801 Chestnut Street
When: Thursday, July 26, doors at 7:30 p.m., show at 8 p.m.
Cost: $20 in advance, $25 at the door, or $45 for VIP tickets (includes 6:30pm buffet, meet & greet with band, guaranteed seating and 1/2 priced drafts)
• Howard Eskin Celebrity Bartending at R2L: Hang out with American Sports Radio personality Howard Eskin and grab a delicious drink 37 floors above the city.
Where: 50 S. 16th Street, 37th floor
When: Thursday, July 26
Cost: Pay as you go