August 28, 2012
Celebrate First Friday At The Barnes Foundation On September 7 With Live Music, A Beer Tasting, After-Hours Gallery Access And More
First Friday in Philadelphia has become a city-wide event, with a hefty handful of neighborhoods throughout the city celebrating the first Friday evening of every month with live music, street entertainment, drink specials and sales at stores and art galleries that stay open late specially for the event.
No matter where you spend it, First Friday is a great opportunity to explore a new location with a new perspective. And one of the best options? The beautiful new Barnes Foundation on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
The Barnes takes First Friday seriously, and luckily for you there’s another coming up quickly on Friday, September 7.
Here’s a look at what the Barnes is planning for September’s First Friday, which runs from 6-10 p.m.:
• Live music: The Planets, commissioned by new-music ensemble Relâche, blends Kyle Gann’s score and John Sanborn’s imagery for a compelling soundtrack to the evening. 6-8 p.m.
• Cafe menu and cash bar: Thanks to Wells Fargo’s sponsorship, a cafe menu and bar are available at every First Friday at the Barnes.
• Intellectual discussion: Art historian and celebrated Penn professor David Brownlee will survey the Barnes’ history along with architect and scholar Grace Ong Yan. 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15.
• Beer tasting: This is incredibly cool. Barnes artist and teacher Philly 101 star John Gatti will lead a group in comparing the subtleties of American craft beers with formal and sensory aspects of masterworks in the Barnes Foundation. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tickets are $40.
• After-hours gallery access: Included in your First Friday ticket is access to the Barnes’ world-renowned art galleries until 10 p.m.
Wells Fargo First Friday tickets cost $18; you can (and should) reserve them online as they sell out fast. Some events, like the beer tasting, cost extra.
Take a look at what else the Barnes has planned for the month of September, including a Shakespeare performance and a jazz concert, online.
First Friday at the Barnes Foundation
Where: 2025 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
When: Friday, September 7, 6-10 p.m.
Cost: $18; additional ticket price for some elements, as noted above
More info: www.barnesfoundation.org