August 30, 2012
Tonight Picks: Last Chance To Catch An Outdoor Movie Screening At Penn’s Landing, Liberty Lands Park Or Schuyllkill Banks; Piazza Jumbotron Screening Of The Eagles Vs. Jets Pre-Season Game; Much More
[Summer nights in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can't-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
Tonight, like last night, brings a bunch of final installments for some summer activities, including Screenings Under the Stars at Penn’s Landing, $5 After 5 admission to the National Constitution Center and Schuylkill Banks movie nights. So make sure you get out there and make the most of it. But never fear: we’re here to make sure you’re aware of the best of what to do in late summer and early fall, with plenty of fun stuff on the radar.
• Penn’s Landing’s “Screenings Under The Stars”: Watch The Descendants tonight on the River Stage on Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, the final 2012 edition of Screenings Under the Stars. Pack a picnic.
Where: River Stage on Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, Columbus Boulevard at Chestnut Street
When: Thursday, August 30, 8 p.m.
• Movie Nights on the Schuylkill Banks: It’s the final Schuylkill Banks Movie Night of the summer (rescheduled from a previous rain-out). Bring your friends, blanket and picnic basket for a great time watching viewer’s choice movies by the river. Come early to participate in a free pre-movie raffle for prizes from Philadelphia Runner. Tonight’s movie is O Brother, Where Art Thou, an awesome choice to end the series with.
When: Every other Thursday at dusk from June 14-August 23
Where: Schuylkill Banks by the Walnut Street Bridge
• $5 After 5 at the National Constitution Center: Get $5 admission tonight when you enter from 5-8 p.m. (your last chance this year!) And don’t forget: when you visit the center by Thursday, August 30 (that’s today) you can enter to win a special VIP Springsteen prize pack featuring a pair of tickets to the Springsteen concert at Citizens Bank Park on Sunday, September 2, an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn Philadelphia-Stadium location and $50 towards dinner at Xfinity Live.
Where: 525 Arch Street
When: Thursdays 5-8 p.m., through August 30
• Northern Liberties SIPS and Social: From 5 p.m. to midnight, get $2 beers, $3 drinks, $4 wines and $5 select appetizers at PYT, Gunners Run, King’s Oak & Darling’s Diner. Plus, the jumbotron will be screening the 6:35 p.m. Philadelphia Eagles vs. New York Jets pre-season game.
When: Thursday, August 30, 5 p.m.-midnight
Where: Northern Liberties bars and restaurants
Cost: Pay as you go
More Tonight Picks, below.
• Best of the ’80s Outdoor Summer Movie Series at Liberty Lands: Every Thursday at 8:30 p.m. through August 30, Liberty Lands is screening your 80s favorites on a giant inflatable screen. Bring a chair or a blanket and some snacks and enjoy a relaxed summer night outdoors. Tonight’s movie is The Wizard (with a video game tournament to follow).
Where: Liberty Lands Park, 926 N. American Street
When: Thursday, August 30, 8:30 p.m.
• Bar Ferdinand’s Chef Tasting Menu by David Ansill: Chef David Ansill, a legend in Philadelphia’s culinary realm, has made his way back to his roots and into the kitchen as executive chef at Owen Kamihira’s Bar Ferdinand, a modern Spanish tapas restaurant in Northern Liberties. His tasting menu is featured every Thursday, 5-11 p.m, a multi-course prix-fixe set at $40 per person.
Where: 1030 N. 2nd Street
When: Thursday nights
Cost: $40 plus tax and gratuity; $20 optional wine pairing
• Pairings on the Parkway at Sister Cities Park: Every Thursday from August 2-October 25, the newly opened Sister Cities Park at Logan Square will host “Pairings on the Parkway.” Each week, the park invites you to bring your own bottle of wine and enjoy this great new green space while Milk & Honey Cafe helps you find cheeses and other goodies to pair perfectly with your selection. Sounds like a perfect summer night.
Where: Logan Square, 18th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
When: Every Thursday from August 2-October 25
Cost: Pay as you go