August 9, 2012
Tonight Picks: Pennsylvania Dutch Festival Kicks Off, Bar Ferdinand’s Chef Tasting Menu By David Ansill, “Pairings On The Parkway” And More
[Summer nights in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can't-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
• Best of the ’80s Outdoor Summer Movie Series at Liberty Lands: Every Thursday at 8:30 p.m. through August 30, Liberty Lands is screening your 80s favorites on a giant inflatable screen. Bring a chair or a blanket and some snacks and enjoy a relaxed summer night outdoors.
Where: Liberty Lands Park, 926 N. American Street
When: Every Thursday through August 30, 8:30 p.m.
• Movie Nights on the Schuylkill Banks: Bring your friends, blanket and picnic basket for a great time watching viewer’s choice movies by the river. New this year, come early to participate in a free pre-movie raffle for prizes from Philadelphia Runner. Tonight’s movie is The Incredibles.
When: Every other Thursday at dusk from June 14-August 23
Where: By the Walnut Street Bridge
• Penn’s Landing’s “Screenings Under The Stars”: Watch The Muppets tonight on the River Stage on Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. Pack a picnic.
Where: River Stage on Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, Columbus Boulevard at Chestnut Street
When: Thursdays in July and August; 8:30 p.m. in July, 8 p.m. in August
• Pennsylvania Dutch Festival at Reading Terminal: It’s Day One of the annual Pennsylvania Dutch Festival at Reading Terminal, a delicious three-day foodie’s dream filled with mouth-watering Amish treats aplenty plus live music and crafts. It goes through Saturday.
Where: 11th and Arch Streets
When: Thursday, August 9-Saturday, August 11, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Cost: Pay as you go
More Tonight Picks, below.
• Bar Ferdinand’s Chef Tasting Menu by David Ansill: Chef David Ansill, a legend in Philadelphia’s culinary realm, has made his way back to his roots and into the kitchen as executive chef at Owen Kamihira’s Bar Ferdinand, a modern Spanish tapas restaurant in Northern Liberties. His tasting menu is featured every Thursday, 5-11 p.m, a multi-course prix-fixe set at $40 per person.
Where: 1030 N. 2nd Street
When: Thursday nights
Cost: $40 plus tax and gratuity; $20 optional wine pairing
• $5 After 5 at the National Constitution Center: Get $5 admission to the NCC each Thursday through August 30 when you enter from 5-8 p.m. It’s a great opportunity to escape the heat and spend an evening cooling down in the A.C. while taking in some of the summer’s richest programming.
Where: 525 Arch Street
When: Thursdays 5-8 p.m., through August 30
• Pairings on the Parkway at Sister Cities Park: Every Thursday from August 2-October 25, the newly opened Sister Cities Park at Logan Square will host “Pairings on the Parkway.” Each week, the park invites you to bring your own bottle of wine and enjoy this great new green space while Milk & Honey Cafe helps you find cheeses and other goodies to pair perfectly with your selection. Sounds like a perfect summer night.
Where: Logan Square, 18th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
When: Every Thursday from August 2-October 25
Cost: Pay as you go