August 22, 2012
Tonight Picks: Second To Last Center City Sips, Philadelphia Weekly Concert In Rittenhouse Square, “Wine Down Wednesday” At Spiga, Penn Museum Concert And More
[Summer nights in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can't-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
• Our Top Picks For The Best Places To Watch The Sunset In Philadelphia: Make it a night to remember by planning your evening around a scenic view of the sunset.
• Philadelphia Weekly Concert in the Park: Philadelphia Weekly’s free Concerts in the Park Series has returned to its rightful location in Rittenhouse Square, with three Wednesdays of totally free outdoor entertainment.
When: Wednesdays, August 15, 22, 29, 7-9 p.m.
Where: Rittenhouse Square
• Center City Sips: The summer’s happiest happy hour returns tonight, with $5 cocktails, $4 wine, $3 beer and half-price appetizers at an impressive 88 bars throughout Center City.
When: June 6–August 29, Wednesdays 5–7 p.m.
Where: 83 bars in Center City
Cost: $5 cocktails, $4 wine, $3 beer and half-price appetizers
• “P.M. @ Penn Museum” Weekly Summer Night Concert Series: Featuring a mix of international music styles displaying sounds of Brazil’s popular bossa nova beats, funk fusion and Middle Eastern folk/rock, the Penn Museum’s series of summertime tunes will take place out in the gardenscape (indoors in the event of rain) with drinks and bites available at the garden bar. Admission is just $5 for the three-hour fest (5-8 p.m.), and it includes entry to explore the museum’s galleries which are open late until 8 p.m.
Where: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, 3260 South Street
When: Wednesday, June 20-Wednesday, August 29, 5-8 p.m.
• “Wine Down Wednesdays” at Spiga: Not only is the food at Spiga delicious and creative (strawberry and alsamic onion with robiola cheese pizza is one favorite), the drink list is pretty impressive as well. And you can even enjoy those drinks at a steep discount, with “Wine Down Wednesdays.” Every Wednesday evening, get any of two bottles of red or two bottles of wine at literally half the price.
Where: 1305 Locust Street
When: Wednesday nights
Cost: Pay as you go
More Tonight Picks, below.
• Meritage Lobster Tasting Menu: Located a few blocks from Rittenhouse Square, Meritage restaurant is offering a Lobster Tasting Menu for $39 per person tonight, Wednesday, August 22, through Friday, August 24. There’s an optional wine pairing for $20 if you want to round out your meal.
Where: 500 S. 20th Street
When: Wednesday, August 22-Friday, August 24
Cost: $39 per person
• “Quench” Happy Hour at The Four Seasons: The Four Seasons Philadelphia has introduced “Quench” on the Swann Terrace, a new weekly happy hour under the sky. Every Wednesday from 5-8 p.m. (that means today), you can enjoy food and drink specials on the beautiful outdoor terrace.
Where: The Four Seasons Hotel (1 Logan Square)
When: Wednesdays, 5-8 p.m.
Cost: Pay as you go
• Cool Wednesdays in Old City: From 5-8 p.m., enjoy the district’s numerous happy hours, from a cool martini and tapas at Stephen Starr’s Continental Martini Bar to half-price drinks and discounted food at local favorite FARMiCiA. The options are endless. Afterward, peruse the art galleries (open late) or shop at the many boutiques, book stores and wine and gourmet shops.
Where: Various locations around Old City
When: Every Wednesday in July and August
Cost: Pay as you go
• Hotel Palomar Presents Jessy Kyle: Kimpton’s Hotel Palomar debuts an independent music series to showcase the hotel’s commitment to its “Live Like A Local” experience. First up is songstress Jessy Kyle, tonight.Guests will enjoy cocktails and hors d’oeuvres courtesy of Square 1682. Kyle has performed at the White House, Citizens Banks Park and Madison Square Garden.
Where: Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, Burnham Ballroom (25th Floor), 117 S. 17th Street
When: Wednesday, August 22, 7-9 p.m.
• Tomato Collaboration Dinner between Supper and Bistrot La Minette: Mitch Prensky of Supper and Peter Woolsley of Bistrot La Minette have created a collaborative menu, featuring tomatoes from Blue Elephant farm. The dinner, happening tonight at Supper and Thursday, tomorrow, at Bistrot La Minnette is priced at $35 per person or $50 per person with wine pairings.
Where: Supper, 926 South Street
When: Wednesday, August 22