The Loews Hotel affords fantastic views of the Philadelphia night sky, perfect for watching Open Air illuminate the city. (Photo courtesy Loews)
The Association for Public Art’s highly anticipated Open Air begins tonight, September 20.
For those coming from out of town, looking for a spontaneous night out or simply craving a spot to crash after a night on the town, we’ve pulled together a list of the hotels with great vantage points of the night skies above the the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
Disclaimer: though all of these hotels give you a great shot at a view of Open Air, be sure to inquire directly with the hotel and request a room on a higher floor facing northwest.
If you’re visiting Philadelphia during Open Air, this list is calling your name; or if you live in the city, treat yourself to a staycation. For more on Open Air, including other suggestions for where to watch, check out our ongoing coverage.
• Embassy Suites Philadelphia: For a beautiful downtown highrise view of the Parkway that’s just 7 blocks from the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we suggest checking in at the Embassy Suites hotel. Again, be sure to ask for a room with a view of the sky above the Parkway.
• DoubleTree: This Avenue of the Arts hotel by Hilton has plenty of rooms with giant windows that face northwest and, while the Parkway itself may not be in plain view from Double Tree, the sky above it will be.
This Avenue of the Arts hotel by Hilton has plenty of rooms with giant windows that face northwest, the perfect angle to catch views of Open Air spotlights tracing patterns in the night sky. (Photo courtesy DoubleTree)
• Best Western Center City Hotel: Conveniently located a block from Ben Franklin Parkway, this Best Western simple, affordable option for catching a view of the lights.
Continue reading, below.
• The Windsor Suites Philadelphia: Besides having a rooftop pool with a view to die for, The Windsor Suites will give you an up-front and personal view of the light show if you request a room high enough and on the appropriate side of the building to see the Parkway.
• Le Méridien Philadelphia: Located in perfect proximity to Love Park and the Ben Franklin Parkway, Le Meridien offers sophistication and luxury with a first-class view of the show (upon request).
• Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel: Beautiful, sweeping views from right within the downtown skyline, plenty of rooms within The Sheraton will be great spots to crash and watch Open Air.
• The Four Seasons: Many of the rooms within the Four Seasons will offer great views of Open Air, especially the luxury suites and room on the upper levels facing northwest.
Book a high-floor room at the Courtyard Marriott and pair your view of Open Air with a view of iconic City Hall. (Photo courtesy Courtyard Marriott Philadelphia Downtown)
• Marriott Residence Inn: The majority of the rooms at the Residence Inn face City Hall, but if you request a room up high, you should have a great view of the lights beaming all around it.
• Ritz-Carlton: Rooms in the far northwest-facing corner of the Ritz-Carlton above the twentieth floor will provide a good look at the lights with some of Philadelphia’s best known landmarks also in eye-shot.
The Four Seasons Hotel gets you right up close to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. (Photo courtesy Four Seasons)
• Courtyard Marriott Philadelphia Downtown: Located steps away from City Hall, the Courtyard Marriott directly faces the Parkway.
• The Loews Hotel Philadelphia: Once you get above eyeshot of surrounding buildings, somewhere around the 25th floor, you can get a great look at Open Air from The Loews while staying in one of downtown’s swankiest and historic hotels.
Check out our interactive map of places to watch Open Air, below.
Open Air Opening Night Celebration
When: Thursday, September 20, 7:30-11 p.m.; ceremonial lighting at 8:30 p.m.
Where: Benjamin Franklin Parkway inner drive, between 21st and 24th Streets
More info: www.openairphilly.net