October 12, 2012
Fall means fashion, and style-seeking shoppers in Philadelphia don’t have to look far for familiar brands.
We adore our Philadelphia-bred lines (SA VA, Duke & Winston, Irina Sigal, Carmelita Couture, Commonwealth Proper, dozens more), but it’s also great to know that the city harbors destination-worthy boutiques featuring the wearable works of some of the world’s most coveted indie designers.
For all the savvy shoppers in Philadelphia (maybe you’re trying to nail down an outfit for Saturday’s Sartorialist appearance at the Barnes), here is a list of top designers and where to find them in Center City Philadelphia and beyond.
When you’re looking for major brands at Philadephia shops, you can also reference The Philadelphia Collection’s handy designer finder. And be sure to keep tabs on what’s going on at Skai Blue Show, the awesome new premier fashion showroom in Midtown Village from fashion expert Rakia Reynolds.
• Charlie’s Jeans: 237 Market Street, (also in Rittenhouse Square 1735 Chestnut Street). An award-winning favorite for men and women, Charlie’s is quite large with a huge selection but still has that charming boutique feel with service that makes devout customers out of their clientele.
Brands you can find there: J Brand, Splendid, Citizens of Humanity, Bailey 44, Joe’s Jeans, Michael Stars, Sebastian McCall
• Sugarcube: 124 N. 3rd Street. Considered an independent fashion destination, Sugarcube has an awesome collection of vintage, vintage-inspired and modern designer attire for men and women.
Brands you can find there: A.P.C., Big Star, Bluejuice, BREN, Covet, Demylee, Goddis, Lanston, Left on Houston, Seduce, Krisa, Lifetime Collection
• Third Street Habit: 153 N. 3rd Street. Acclaimed by Lucky Magazine, Travel + Leisure, CNN, People Magazine and The New York Times, Third Street Habit is a long-enduring women’s clothing and accessory boutique possessing tons of designer cred.
Brands you can find there: Splendid, Burning Torch, BY ZOE, Current/Elliot, Isabel Marant, AG Jeans, J Brand, James Perse, MOTHER
• Vagabond: 37 N. 3rd Street. Your bank account might not end up liking Vagabond as much as you do, but not because of the prices (they’re actually pretty reasonable) but because you’ll always find something at this obsession-inducing designer boutique.
Brands you can find there: A Detacher, Ace & Jig, Black Crane, Court Jeans, Creatures of Comfort, Dolce Vita, Dora Landa, Global Mamas, Something Else, Stellapop, Jeffery Campbell, Laugh Cry Repeat, Rachel Comey, Sam & Lavi
• Adresse: 1706 Locust Street. Modern elegance inspired by classic design, Adresse offers the most sophisticated luxury looks in women’s clothing and accessories.
Brands you can find there: Proenza Schouler, Stella McCartney, The Row, Bouchra Jarrar, Lela Rose, Chloe, MIH, Rupert Sanderson, Jenni Kayne, Rochas
• Arcadia Boutique: 265 S. 20th Street, (also in Northern Liberties at 819 N. 2nd Street) Get to know store owner Ali McCloud and all of the acclaimed sustainable designers she features at Arcadia Boutique that have earned it its name as Best of Philly.
Brands you can find there: Ace & Jig, Ark & Co., BB Dakota, Curator, Dear Creatures, Dolce Vita, Dusen Dusen, Greylin, Hyden Yoo, James Jeans, TBA (To Be Adored), OBEY, Lauren Moffatt, Mary Meyer, Micaela Greg, Nicholas K., Pendleton Portland Collection, Porto, Prairie Underground
• Boyds: 1818 Chestnut Street. Voted by CBS Philly as one of the top menswear stores in the city, Boyds designer store has four levels of men’s as well as women’s wear featuring contemporary and designer styles.
Brands you can find there: Citizens of Humanity, Current/Elliot, Edun, Improvd, J Brand, Bailey 44, Armani Collezioni, Yves Saint Laurent, Lanvin, Givenchy, Vince
Much more fashion, below.
• Joan Shepp: 1616 Walnut Street. Joan Shepp has been dressing Philadelphians in their finest since 1971 and continues to bring an eclectic mix of rare luxury designs to the table while still offering friendly, familiar service.
Brands you can find there: Ann Demeulemeester, Comme des Garçons, Costume National, Y-3 Women, Marni, Opening Ceremony, Rick Owens, Yohji Yamamoto, Dries Van Noten, Junya Watanabe, Martin Margiela
• Kiki Hughes: 259 S. 21st Street. With gorgeous selections of hard-to-find and original pieces curated by the beloved Kiki herself, patrons often make this darling boutique a one-stop shop for unique designer women’s fashion finds.
Brands you can find there: Babette, Sarah Pacini, Blanque, Zelda, Childress, Cop Copine, Jenne Maag, Lilith, Mary de Angeles
• Kimberly Boutique: 123 S. 16th Street. The two Kimberlys who run Kimberly Boutique posses exactly the kind of genuine enthusiasm and appreciation for the brand names as you should expect in a designer carrier.
Brands you can find there: alice + olivia, Amy Matto, Design House History, Eva Franco, Fifteen Twenty, Lewis Cho, Yoana Baraschi
• Knit Wit: 1729 Chestnut Street, (also on Main Line at 905 W. Lancaster Avenue, Bryn Mawr). 40 years later and Knit Wit is still turning heads with the unique selection of designer duds that just slightly push the trending limits.
Brands you can find there: A.L.C., Alexander Wang, Haute Hippie, J Brand, James Perse, Levis Made & Crafted, Paul Smith, Phillip Lim, Repeat Cashmere, Vince
• Sophy Curson: 19th and Sansom Street. An official outfitter of Princess Grace’s wedding guests back in the 1950’s, Sophy Curson embodies all that is Philadelphia elegance and sophistication in luxury design.
Brands you can find there: Alex Teih, Antonio Marras, Blumarine, Design Stockholm, Kevan Hall, Sofie D’Hoore, Tom and Linda Platt, Kevin Hall, Krizia
• Suzanne Roberts: 1121 Walnut Street. The modern, elegant, simple-chic woman need not look further than Suzanne Roberts, a boutique that’s consistently on all of Philadelphia’s hot lists.
Brands you can find there: Aimee G., Babette, Cecilia Prado, Crea Concept, Eileen Fisher, LUNN by Lilth, OSKA, Porto, Ronen Chen, Sarah Pacini, White + Warren
• Shop Sixty-Five: 53 W. State Street, Doylestown. Former New York stylist Linda LaRosa’s Shop Sixty-Five was noted by Lucky Magazine for being one of the best shops in the country, and with the lovely mix of trendy designer dresses, jeans and more, this spacious boutique definitely lives up to that title.
Brands you can find there: AG Jeans, Burning Torch, Citizens of Humanity, Current/Elliot, Diane Von Furstenburg, Duffy, Haltston Heritage, James Jeans, Joe’s Jeans, Krisa, Lanston, Milly, Rebecca Taylor, Tibi, Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent, Diesel, 7 For All Mankind, True Religion
• Love Illuminati: 23 S. State Street, Newtown. With affordable, unique and hip fashions in clothing, accessories and more, Love Illuminati can’t be missed.
Brands you can find there: Brixton
• Christa’s : 511 W. Lancaster Avenue, Wayne. Christa’s offers a nice range of casual to dramatic styles of quality, designer clothing for her.
Brands you can find there: Trina Turk, Girad Darel, Marc Cain, Joesph Ribkoff, Iris, Fabrizio Gianni
• Elizabeth Maar: 20 Sation Road, Haverford, (also in Chester County at 3515 West Chester Pike, Newtown Square) Elizabeth Maar provides casual sophistication for teens girls as well as the mature women in this adorable Haverford boutique.
Brands you can find there: alice + olivia, Autumn Cashmere, Drew, Fifteen Twenty, Halston Heritage, Haute Hippie, Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent, Vince, Zoe Couture,White + Warren, Repeat Cashmere, Second Denim Co.
• Per Lei: 2 E. State Street, Media. With its Buy Now, Wear Now, Pay Later program, Per Lei makes high fashion affordable.
Brands you can find there: alice + olivia, DVF, Mark & James by Badgley Mischka, Theory, Tibi, Trina Turk, Vince, Yoana Baraschi
• Skirt: 931 W. Lancaster Avenue, Bryn Mawr. Get a taste of NYC fashion right in Bryn Mawr thanks to Maureen Doron, owner of Skirt, who does the downtown digging and brings the best in couture home for you.
Brands you can find there: AG Jeans, Autumn Cashmere, Diane Von Furstenburg, J Brand, Milly, Splendid, Theory, Tibi, Vince, Alice and Olivia, Tory Burch, Gerard Yosca, Adriano Goldschied, Monrow, Alice & Trixie, Bettye Muller, Susana Monaco, Sanctuary Clothing, Wildfox
• Claire Dickson: 545 Germantown Pike, Lafayette Hill. Claire Dickson has been outfitting the ladies of Montco for more than 30 years, and her years of experience with high-end fashion show with every article of hand-chosen clothing she sells.
Brands you can find there: Autumn Cashmere, Desigual, Diane Von Furstenburg, Second Denim Co., Theory, Trina Turk, White + Warren, Fabrizzio Gianni, Marakech, Bluegirl, Sanctuary, Schumacher
• First Impressions: 470 Germantown Pike, Lafayette Hill. Make the best First Impressions with their designer duds for women and girls.
Brands you can find there: Burning Torch, Cut25, Elizabeth and James, Haute Hippie, J Brand, Joe’s Jeans, Koral, Laugh Cry Repeat, Michael Stars, Minnie Rose, Robert Rodriquez, Something Else, Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent, Vince, Wildfox