PAFA After Dark is back at the gorgeous Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, this time celebrating the legacy of locally bred architect Frank Furness. (Photo by B. Krist for GPTMC)
[Evenings in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can’t-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
• Young Friends Of The Academy Monster Ball: Tonight at the Orpheus Club of Philadelphia, support the Academy of Music at the Second annual Monster’s Ball. Dress up in your best Halloween costume and enjoy delicious drinks from Philadelphia Distilling while dancing to the beats of DJ Adrian Hardy.
When: Thursday, October 25, 7-11 p.m.
Where: The Orpheus Club of Philadelphia, 254 S. Van Pelt Street
Cost: $50-$65; get $15 off by using the discount code ‘uwishunu’
• Freud’s Last Session: Opening tonight at the Arden Theatre, Freud’s Last Session is an intellectual yet humorous play about an imagined meeting of Sigmund Freud and C.S. Lewis. Directed by Philadelphia actor Ian Merrill Peakes, the debate discusses God, love, science and man’s place in the universe. The play will not only entertain, but get you thinking too.
When: Thursday, October 25, 8 p.m.
Where: Arden Theatre, 40 N. 2nd Street
• Treasures Jewelry Sale and Show Preview Gala: The Penn Museum’s jewelry sale and show doesn’t technically start until tomorrow, but for those who can’t wait, there is a preview gala tonight! Treat your eyes to a wide range of jewelry from more than two dozen designers and jewelers. Details on the rest of the show, running through Sunday, here.
When: Thursday, October 25
Where: Penn Museum, 3260 South Street
• PAFA After Dark’s Designed With Love: From 6-9 p.m. head over to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts Historic Landmark Building to celebrate the architecture of Philadelphia’s own Frank Furness. As you listen to music from DJ Apt One, enjoy cocktails and explore the work of Frank Furness, you can also fulfill your shopping needs at Anthropologie’s pop-up shop where designs by PAFA students will be up for sale.
When: Thursday, October 25, 6-9 p.m.
Where: PAFA’s Historic Landmark Building, 118 N. Broad Street
Cost: Free for PAFA members, $10 advance, $15 at door (based on availability)
• Oktoberfest Happy Hour at Brauhaus Schmitz: Head over to Brauhaus Schmitz tonight for an endless supply of beer. From 5:30-8 p.m. fill your liter mugs up time and time again will raising money for a good cause, the Center for Literacy.
When: Thursday, October 25, 5:30-8 p.m.
Where: Brauhaus Schmitz, 718 South Street
More Tonight Picks, below.
• Longchamp and InStyle “More is More” Cocktail Party: Mingle with fellow fashionistas tonight at the King of Prussia mall. Longchamp is teaming up with InStyle magazine to celebrate the Longchamp Paris 2012 “More is More” Collection. The in-store cocktail party celebrates the 2012 collection with champagne, hors d’ouvres and live jazz.
When: Thursday, October 25, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Longchamp Boutique at the King of Prussia Plaza, 160 N. Gulph Road
Cost: Pay as you go
• GLOW In The Park At FDR: The Fairmount Park Conservancy is hosting their first “GLOW in the Park” event tonight at the boathouse at FDR Park. Music will be provided by Hazie Blu and food will be available from some of Philly’s favorite food trucks like Foo Truck and Sweetbox Cupcakes.
When: Thursday, October 25, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Boathouse at FDR Park, 1500 Pattison Avenue
Cost: Fairmount Park Conservancy Members, $45, Non-Members, $75
• Philadelphia Film Festival: The film festival is quickly coming to an end. Don’t let the opportunity of watching great movies with a great crowd slip by. See what’s playing tonight and pay the festival a visit. And while you’re there, enjoy dinner from one of the delicious food trucks.
When: Through October 28
Where: Various locations
• Terror Behind the Walls: Scare yourself silly tonight at Eastern State Penitentiary. It’s another event that is quickly coming to an end, so add a little fright to your night before the event ends.
When: Thursday, October 25
Where: Eastern State Penitentiary, 22nd Street and Fairmount Avenue
• Mega-Bad Movie Night: Mega-Bad Movie Night is back, and tonight, Bigfoot will be playing. Not only do you get to watch an “awesomely awful” movie, but the Academy of Natural Sciences invites guests to explore the museum before showtime. And then, during the movie, munch on snacks and enjoy Drink Philly sponsored beer. If the movie has you wondering if there is a Bigfoot wandering around somewhere, experts will be in attendance to discuss the possibility.
When: Thursday, October 25, 6:30-10 p.m.
Where: The Academy of Natural Sciences, 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Pumpkin Head at Standard Tap: Pumpkin beer served out of a pumpkin gourd, nothing could be more festive! Starting at 4 p.m., drink up with 10 of the best pumpkin brews from the area like, Dogfish Head, Woodchuck and Manayunk.
When: Thursday, October 25, 4 p.m.-close
Where: Standard Tap, 901 N. 2nd Street
Cost: $10 for the gourd, $2 for refills
• Slam, Bam, Thank You Ma’am at the Pen and Pencil Club: Tonight at the Pen and Pencil Club, write with all of your might in celebration of the written word. Musician, Andrew Keller will be the event’s new host. Write to impress for a chance to win fun prizes!
When: Thursday, October 25, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Pen and Pencil Club, 1522 Latimer Street
• The Dark Arts in the Dark Ages: Join historian Elly R. Truitt at her discussion about medieval demons, magic and pacts with the devil tonight at the Wagner Free Institute of Science. With Halloween getting nearer and nearer, its the perfect time to get a little spooked.
When: Thursday, October 25, 5:30 p.m.
Where: Wagner Free Institute of Science, 1700 West Montgomery Avenue
Cost: Free, but requested donation of $10 for adults and $5 for students and seniors
• Philadelphia Whiskey & Fine Spirits Festival: Enjoy tasty spirits tonight at Lincoln Financial Field at the Philadelphia Whiskey & Fine Spirits Festival hosted by Philadelphia magazine. Choose from over 200 spirits of all of the types of liquor that you can imagine. Local restaurants will offer bites to pair with your booze.
When: Thursday, October 25, 6:30-9 p.m.
Where: Lincoln Financial Field, 1020 Pattison Avenue
Cost: $90 in advance, $100 at the door, $150 VIP
• An Evening with Ann Coulter: Talk Radio 1210 host Chris Stigall will host an evening with bestselling author Ann Coulter at the National Constitution Center. In her most recent book, Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama, she takes a look at race and politics in the last 40 years. Tonight she will discuss her new book which is bound to start fires about race and politics.
When: Thursday, October 25, 7 p.m.
Where: National Constitution Center, 525 Arch Street