November 19, 2012
Our Guide To Black Friday In Philadelphia, November 23: Boutiques, Restaurants, Bars, Museums And Attractions With Black Friday Specials
Black Friday is traditionally known in Philadelphia and everywhere as the day that officially kicks off the holiday shopping season. But it’s also a great chance to enjoy specials at bars, restaurants, museums and other attractions.
After your belly is full and your heart warmed by the Thanksgiving holiday, get out in the city to take advantage of sales and happenings around town on Black Friday, November 23.
Bonus: Center City District will be handing out free shopping bags on Black Friday! CCD representatives will be at five locations beginning at 11 a.m. until all the bags have been distributed: 9th and Market Streets, 13th and Market Streets, Broad and Walnut Streets, 18th and Walnut Streets and 16th and Chestnut Streets.
• Bus Stop Boutique: As the wintry weather approaches, boots are an outfit staple that will keep you warm all winter long. Buy some boots at the Black Friday Boot Sale at Bus Stop Boutique. All black and brown boots will be 15-20% off.
• Knit Wit and Plage Tahiti: Say “Action News” as you check out, and receive 20% off of your purchase. The sister stores partnered up with Channel 6 Action News this Black Friday for this exclusive discount. For those in the suburbs, the discount is available at all Knit Wit locations; that means Bryn Mawr and Margate, NJ too.
• Sa Va: For this Black Friday sale the earlier you get there the better. Sa Va
is offering major savings for its customers. Purchases made before 1 p.m. will be 30% off. Purchases between 1-8 p.m. will be 15% off.
• Skirt: The Bryn Mawr shop is offering plenty of incentives and deals for dedicated shoppers. Starting at 8 a.m. baked goods, mimosas, coffee, tea and cold drinks will be served to guests. Get your holiday presents ready with complimentary gift wrapping, too. Those who spend more than $250 will receive a free blowout from Salon A, located steps from Skirt. Those who spend anything at the store will be entered into Skirt’s raffle, featuring three gifts, a $500 Skirt gift certificate, a Loeffler Randall handbag and a Diane von Furstenberg scarf.
• Nicole Miller: Brides to be, take notice! On Black Friday, or as it’s called at both Nicole Miller locations in Philadelphia, (one at The Bellevue in Center City and one on Main Street in Manayunk) White Friday, find your perfect wedding dress at an astronomical discount. Select dresses will be 50-90% off. Enjoy the discount all day from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Pass this information onto your friends and Moms: bridesmaid and mother-of-the-bride dresses will also be on sale.
• Third St. Habit: Celebrate Black Friday with huge savings at Third St. Habit. The entire Isabel Marant Etoile collection is 40% off. We’re not kidding. Get there before it’s too late!
• Smak Parlour: Head over to Smak Parlour in Old City for their fun Black Friday event. From 11 a.m.-9 p.m. shop all of the latest fashions while getting into the seasonal spirit. Get your gifts wrapped for free while enjoying ginger snaps and apple cider. Also, a free pair of gloves will be given away with every purchase over $40. Score! Smak Parlour will also be collecting toys for Toys for Tots, so be sure to bring a toy to donate.
• Manayunk: Bryn Mawr Running Co. located on Main Street in Manayunk is hosting an event that will get your heart pumping this Black Friday. The Shop Near Run Far event encompasses a 5K run (or walk) through the Manayunk towpath to start off the day. The entry fee is $25, but if you pay a little more at registration, you will receive a Bryn Mawr Running Co. gift certificate. If you spend $50, you will get a $40 gift certificate and a free beer at Winnie LeBus and if you spend $100, you will receive a $100 gift certificate and a free beer at Winnie LeBus and Manayunk Tavern. All participants will receive a reusable shopping bag for your Black Friday purchases and a shopping/dining list of all the Manayunk Black Friday specials.
• Kevin O’Brien Studio: Treat yourself to luxe pillows, blankets, scarves, shawls, rugs and more at the high-end textile studio. On Black Friday there will be a storewide discount of 25%.
There are more Black Friday specials and events below, including midnight mall openings, ice skating, holiday railroads and more.
• Handmade in Philadelphia Local Art Sale: At the Ethical Society Building in Rittenhouse Square discover local, handmade jewelry this Black Friday night. From 5-7 p.m. browse one-of-a-kind jewelry for your friends and family… and yourself!
• Three Sirens Boutique: From 11 a.m.-7 p.m. enjoy major discounts at Three Sirens Boutique. Clothing will be 15-40% off, accessories will be discounted at 15-20% and lots of new items will be added to the clearance rack which will be 50% off!
• Macy’s Center City: Macy’s flagship location in Philadelphia opens it doors at midnight this year for shoppers. You can preview the deals online. Then the Macy’s Christmas Light Show and the Dickens Village make their 2012 debut at 10 a.m.
• Arcadia Boutique: Back by popular demand is Arcardia Boutique’s Black on Black sale at both the Northern Liberties and Rittenhouse locations. The sale offers 30% off everything black and 20% off everything else in the store. The sale extends to online too; enter the code “TURKEY” and receive 20% off of your online purchase.
• PREIT Malls: Bunches of Greater Philadelphia area malls will be opening at midnight on Black Friday including, Exton Square Mall, Plymouth Meeting Mall, Springfield Mall, Willow Grove Park, Cherry Hill Mall, Cumberland Mall and Moorestown Mall. Select malls will offer treats and drinks for dedicated shoppers along with giveaways and entertainment.
Museums and Attractions
• National Constitution Center: The National Constitution Center is celebrating the start of the holidays with extended hours on Black Friday. They will be open from 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. offering special activities for Thanksgiving weekend guests. Discover the evolution of Thanksgiving since its origination 223 years ago and strut down the runway at the “Growing Up, American Style” interactive show which encourages guests to dress up in fashion from different eras in history.
• Blue Cross RiverRink: The Penn’s Landing ice skating rink will open for the season on Black Friday with plenty of activities to celebrate their 19th season. Listen to music from Megan & Liz at a free Q102 Jingle Ball Preview concert hosted by Maxwell from Q102.
• Reading Terminal: Also starting off their season on Black Friday is the Reading Terminal Holiday Railroad. The track runs nearly a third of a mile long and boasts 17 working train lines. The trains move through a miniature replicated Christmas Village, Center City, a Town of Lincoln Logs and a snow-covered countryside.
• The Barnes Foundation: The Barnes Foundation will also be offering extended hours on Black Friday. They’ll open at 9:30 a.m. and their doors won’t close until midnight. Enjoy live music and booze in the afternoon and evening. Starting at 2 p.m., enjoy the sounds of Papo Gely, a talented Puerto Rican singer. Starting at 6 p.m., The Robin Work Ensemble will be serenading guests with tunes ranging from pop to big band hits. From 6:30-7:30 p.m. enjoy tasty sips at a wine tasting. Looking for more booze? From 9-10 p.m., partake in a beer tasting. The night will end with a show from DJ Adrian Hardy who mixes a wide variety of music, from top 40 hits to Latin music. He will perform from 8:30-11:45 p.m.
• Franklin Square: The park and the beloved Square Burger will be open from noon-5 p.m. on Black Friday. Escape the shopping crazed crowds at the 6th and Race Street family friendly park.
• Brandywine River Museum: Beginning on Black Friday, the Brandywine River Museum will debut its holiday display. It will include holiday decorations and an 18-foot-wide Christmas wreath!
• Theatre Exile: Theatre Exile is offering a steal of a deal this Black Friday. Buy one ticket for the acclaimed show, The English Bride, and receive one free! Buy one get one free, folks! It doesn’t get any better than that.
• Adventure Aquarium: Look out, kids, Santa is arriving at the Adventure Aquarium on Black Friday. But, he’s not arriving the old fashioned way, he’ll be scuba diving around an underwater winter wonderland. That’s right, Scuba Santa is here for the season. Is there anything the guy can’t do?
• Longwood Gardens: Black Friday marks the second day of the impressive Christmas display at Longwood Gardens. Twinkling lights, decorated fountains and festive Christmas trees and plants will dress up the establishment. Check it out on its second day, it’s a holiday tradition that cannot be missed.
• Morris Arboretum: The favorite holiday railway is back and is opening on Black Friday. The festive train follows a quarter of a mile track through tunnels, bridges and loops. It is appealing for guests of all ages as they stare in awe at the meticulously decorated railroad tracks.
• Santa Express: SEPTA’s special holiday-themed train, dubbed the Santa Express, will deliver guests to The Gallery at Market East where there will be a Christmas parade throughout the mall.
Food and Drinks
• City Tap House: Cozy up at City Tap House this Black Friday with their “Art of Dark Craft” beer event. Choose from an extensive list of 20-plus dark brews. Tasting packages are $35 per person, but guests are also welcome to pay as they go.
• Resurrection Ale House: Enjoy brunch until 3 p.m. and beer upon beer upon beer all Black Friday at Resurrection Ale House. Their favorite low ABV beers will be on tap for you to sip as the holiday season truly begins.
• The Institute: The Institute is hosting their Black Friday Brunch Frenzy to break your daze after Thanksgiving. Spend $12 or more on brunch and receive a complimentary Troegs Mad Elf or Brew Works Rude Elf beer.
• Memphis Taproom: The event may sound ominous with a name like Everything Went Black Friday, but don’t be afraid. Head out to Memphis Taproom for post-Thanksgiving festivities. Choose treats from their full brunch menu which will be offered from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. while boozing on some dark brews.
• Kildare’s: Need to get out of the house after Thanksgiving? Look no further than Kildare’s West Chester. They’ll be opening at 7 a.m. and that’s not the only perk. Until 8 p.m. half-priced gift cards will be available for purchase, perfect for those hard to please relatives.
• Opa: Beginning on Black Friday is Opa’s Holiday Lunch Deal to keep you from breaking the bank this season. The deal includes the Opa Signature Burger with house-cut fries and a soft drink for $5.95. Head out to Opa on weekdays from 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. to take advantage of this awesome offer.
• New Candlelight Theatre: Treat yourself to something a little different this Black Friday. Head out to the New Candlelight Theatre in Wilmington for a night of dinner theater. Guests will be welcomed with desserts and discounted drinks at the Black Friday Escape event. Guests will also enjoy a performance of Christmas by Candlelight.
• Penns Woods Winery: Starting on Black Friday, Penns Woods Winery will be making sure your wine collection is fully stocked this holiday season. They’re giving away a free bottle of wine with every half case purchase and three free bottles of wine with every full case purchase! In additions, select wines will be up to 30% off and guests can enjoy samples of the vineyard’s mulled wine.
• Cook: You can never have enough kitchen supplies! This Black Friday, stop by COOK and receive 10% off of your purchase. This promotion excludes cooking classes and gift certificates. But choose from cookbooks, barware, kitchen linens, herbs, spices, chopping blocks and more!