November 16, 2012
The Philadelphia Museum Of Art To Celebrate The 2012 Holiday Season With Music In The Galleries, “The Christmas Story In Art” Tours, Winter Wonderland Event And More
The majestic Philadelphia Museum of Art is a wonderful place to bring family and friends throughout the holiday season, with festive programs, gallery tours, sing-alongs, delicious treats and more.
Take a look at what the museum has planned for this year’s holiday season in particular.
We’ve picked out a few stand-out events for your Christmastime enjoyment:
• The Christmas Story in Art: Select dates from December 1-January 1, noon. Take a guided tour through the museum’s galleries highlighting works of art that tell the story of Christmas. Featured works will be marked with a special “Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!” label. Five of them will be family stops with activities for the kids.
• Caroling Through the Galleries: Saturday, December 1, 1, 2 and 3 p.m. The Pennsylvania Girlchoir will lead museum visitors through the galleries of medieval and Renaissance art, singing traditional European and American carols. Each performance runs for 40 minutes.
• Winter Wonderland: Sunday, December 2, 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Here’s one for the little ones. Set out on a Gallery Quest to discover festive art, create masterpieces in the Make-and-Take Workshop and enjoy an American take on the classic ballet The Nutcracker with a performance of the Rock School’s Nutcracker 1776.
• Music in the Galleries: Saturday, December 8, 1:30, 2:15 and 3 p.m. Head to Gallery 204 for an informal concert from the gifted young musicians of the Curtis Institute of Music paired with interpretation of a work of art.
• Festival of Lights with West Philadelphia Orchestra: Friday, December 14, 5-8:45 p.m. The museum celebrates Hanukkah, too, with a lively West Philadelphia Orchestra concert, complete with dancing.
• First Person Arts StorySlam: Home for the Holidays: Friday, December 14, 7-8:30 p.m. Alter Gallery 176 is where to go for the holiday edition of First Person Arts’ StorySlam storytelling competition.
• The Jingle Bell Jive: Friday, December 21, 5-8:45 p.m. Boogie to the rhythms of The Tickled Pinks, a New York–based swing vocal trio that brings a fresh sound to authentic 1940s arrangements.
During your holiday trip to the museum, also be sure to stop by Stephen Starr’s Granite Hill restaurant for delicious treats.
Holidays at the Museum
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
When: December 1, 2012-January 1, 2013
Cost: Admission (gets you access for two consecutive days to any PMA property) is $20 for adults, $18 for seniors, $14 for students and youth, free for kids 12 and under
More info: www.philamuseum.org/holidays