December 31, 2012
Happy New Year, Philadelphia!
The city’s getting ready for an explosive celebration tonight, as SugarHouse Casino once again presents two free fireworks shows on the Delaware River Waterfront.
The display utilizes more than 4,000 devices representing more than four tons of net explosives, approximately five miles of wire and cable that takes a crew of 10 people to set up. So you know it’s going to be impressive.
Still unsure how to celebrate tonight? We can help you nail down your New Year’s Eve plans with options galore:
Have a great holiday weekend; we’ll be back on Wednesday morning.
In our absence, check out our top picks for celebrating New Year’s Day in Philadelphia.
Here’s to a healthy and happy 2013!
More helpful New Year’s Eve and Day info, below.
Museums and attractions open or closed on December 31 and January 1
• African American Museum of Philadelphia — closed both days
• Academy of Natural Sciences — open regular hours, closed New Year’s Day
• Adventure Aquarium — open 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m./regular hours New Year’s Day
• Barnes Foundation — open 10 a.m.–6 p.m., closed New Year’s Day
• Battleship NJ — open 9:30 a.m.–3 p.m., closed New Year’s Day
• Betsy Ross House — Betsy’s 261 Birthday bash 11 a.m.–4 p.m., closed New Year’s DAY
• Eastern State Penitentiary — Open regular hours, closed New Year’s Day
• Franklin Institute — Open regular hours, closed New Year’s Day
• Franklin Square — 6 p.m. countdown at Franklin Square
• Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell — open regular hours, 11 a.m.–4 p.m. on New Year’s Day. No tickets for the Hall needed until March 1
• Independence Visitor Center — open 8:30 a.m.–7 p.m. and 8:30 a.m.–6 p.m. New Year’s Day (regular hours)
• Mutter Museum — open regular hours and closed New Year’s Day
• National Constitution Center — closing at 3 p.m. and will reopen January 2
• PAFA — closed both days
• Penn Museum — closed both days
• Philadelphia Museum of Art — open both December 31 and New Year’s Day
• Philadelphia Zoo — closed both days
• Please Touch Museum — open 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (Ball Drops at noon and 1 p.m.) New Year’s Day 11 a.m.–4 p.m.
• Rodin Museum — open both days
• U.S. Mint — closed both Days