January 9, 2013
It’s been a whirlwind two years, and certainly bittersweet to be hanging up my hat as Editor of Uwishunu.com later today.
I’m honored to be joining the esteemed company of alumni Uwishunu editors Eric Smith and Brennen Lukas.
I could wax on about the best moments I’ve had running this fantastic website, but I thought it would be more fun to take a quick look back at some of my favorite posts on uwishunu.com as Editor.
And to all the loyal readers who’ve made let me turn “YouWishYouKnew” into “IWishYouKnew” for the past two years, thank you. And stay in touch! Find me on Twitter @AllisonStadd. There’s good stuff in store.
In the words of Fun., “Carry on.”
Love you, Philadelphia!
• Uwishunu Asks: “What New Year’s Resolution Would You Make For Philadelphia This Year?”: It was a (weeks-long) blast pulling together inspiring and thought-provoking quotes from some of our city’s most important and interesting peeps, from Stephen Starr to Pizza Brain’s Brian Dwyer.
• Heads Up: Uwishunu Teams Up With Google To Be A Local Content Partner For Google’s New “Field Trip” App: SUCH an honor to work directly with Google in making Uwishunu the Field Trip app’s very first exclusively Philadelphia partner.
• Introducing The Brand New Uwishunu Events Calendar, Your All-In-One Resource For Planning Your Days, Nights And Weekends In Philadelphia: Launching the Uwishunu Events Calendar is something I’m very excited and proud to have done before leaving. It’s an invaluable resource for Philadelphia, one that I’m definitely planning on using to plan my own nights and weekends moving forward!
• Harry Potter’s Guide To Philadelphia: A Special Hogwartsian Itinerary In Honor Of Chestnut Hill’s 2012 Harry Potter Weekend, October 26-28: Most fun post, hands down. I wanted to tap into the Harry Potter Weekend madness going down in Chestnut Hill by planning a Hogwartsian guide to the city, complete with awesome interactive images. A must-read for Potterheads like me!
• Roundup: Top Picks For Philadelphia-Made Candy And Chocolate, Just In Time For Halloween: Little-known fact: Mike and Ikes and Hot Tamales are manufactured right here in the Philadelphia region by Bethlehem, PA’s Just Born.
• Uwishunu’s Top Picks For The Best Brunch In Philadelphia, Fall 2012: I’m a brunch fanatic like everyone else, so pulling together this guide to the best brunch was awesome.
• Our Guide To Coffee-Drinking In Philadelphia: Local Roasters, Sustainable Sips, Award-Winning Espresso And More: I cannot function without coffee. I pretty much need a caffeinated IV drip in my arm at all times. So writing a guide to coffee in Philadelphia was as much for my own benefit as the other Philly coffee lovers out there.
• A Beginner’s Guide To The Philadelphia Live Arts Festival And Philly Fringe, Returning September 7-22 With Almost 700 Theater, Dance, Music, Comedy And Spoken Word Performances: I wanted to inspire people who a) think they hate theater, b) are overwhelmed by the hundreds of shows on the Fringe schedule and/or c) think they’ve been there/done that, to actually participate in the Fringe Festival this past fall. I hope I did that.
• Scenes From Uwishunu’s Moonlit Movie Screening In Rittenhouse Square This Past Saturday, August 11: Producing Uwishunu’s first big-ticket (well, it was actually free — but you know what I mean) event since the site’s launch was a massive undertaking, but hugely rewarding. It was so incredibly awesome to see 600 hundred Philadelphians hunkered down in Rittenhouse Square, beneath umbrellas, enjoying Midnight in Paris alongside Team Uwishunu. I hope there’s an encore next summer — I’ll be there!
• Uwishunu’s Alfresco Dining Guide 2012: Where To Dine Outdoors On The Rooftop, Sidewalk, Or Courtyard At Restaurants Around Philadelphia: A sortable guide by neighborhood to outdoor dining in Philadelphia. Clutch.
• Philadelphia Named One Of The Hottest American Cities Of The Future By Business Insider: Philly gets loads of accolades all year long, related to beer, nightlife, dining, art, culture and more. This one stood out to me, because it speaks to the future of this fair city. And I believe every word of it.
• Uwishunu’s Brand New Guide To Picnicking In Philadelphia: Best Picnic Spots, Where To Pick Up Picnic-Appropriate Food And Drink, And Picnic-Friendly Festivals And Events: Philly’s gorgeous in the spring and summer, and picnicking in the park is a great way to experience it. This was one of the guides that was time-consuming but a pleasure to put together.
• Philly 101 Video #93: Nick Gregory, General Manager Of The Hotel Monaco Philadelphia: Getting a first look inside the Hotel Monaco was awesome! Although, I should have thought twice about wearing heels to traipse up the four-story banister-less staircase.
• The Brand New Shake Shack Philadelphia Opens Today At 11 A.M. At 20th & Sansom; Take A Sneak Peek Inside: Shake Shack: Crack Shack.
• Philly 101 Video #79: Mayor Michael Nutter, Mayor Of The City Of Philadelphia: Spending some Q.T. with Mayor Nutter was definitely one of the highlights of the past two years.
• Weekend Picks On Steroids: Rittenhouse Row Spring Fest, Italian Market Fest, SPTR Wheat Beer Fest, Trenton Avenue Arts Fest, Barnes Foundation Opens, Sixers Playoffs And So Much More: Weekend Picks is Uwishunu’s bread and butter. This one will go down in history. Click to see why.
• Sneak Peek: New Restaurant “Vernick Food & Drink” Opens On Walnut Street In Rittenhouse Tonight, May 1: Vernick is easily one of the city’s most exciting restaurants right now. Meeting the Vernicks and witnessing the restaurant’s final stages of development was a treat.
• Today, March 27, Is World Theater Day: A Look At Philadelphia’s Robust Theater Scene: I believe in theater in Philadelphia, and that more butts should be in more seats. This post was a fun chance to demonstrate the city’s impressive theatrical assets.
• Roundup: Our Top Picks For Creative Comfort Food In Philadelphia, Perfect For Winter Dining: Mac and cheese, soup, meatloaf and pot pie all with a twist. My kind of roundup.
• Uwishunu’s Holiday Gift Guide: Our Top Picks For Where To Buy Locally Made Goods, Highlights From Each Place, And Upcoming Neighborhood Gift-Shopping Events: The 2011 holiday gift guide is one I’m proud of. I still refer back to it for gift ideas!
• Sneak Peek: Chip Roman And Lacroix’s Jason Cichonski Partner On Ela, A Creative American Bar And Restaurant In Queen Village, Debuting Tonight: Like with Vernick, getting a sneak peek at Ela pre-opening was awesome. Still one of my favorite places for dinner.
• Sneak Peek: Federal Donuts, The Donut And Fried Chicken Specialty Shop, Opens Today In South Philadelphia: Ditto. (But lunch, not dinner.)
• Frankford Hall Gets Ready For Cooler Temps With A New Chef, A Delicious New Burger Menu, A Roaring Outdoor Fire Pit, Happy Hour, Ping Pong, Jenga And Lots Of Amazing Beers: Taking a second look at Frankford Hall after its first six months was informative — and delicious. Click for food porn.
• Exclusive Q&A With Haley Joel Osment Of The Sixth Sense, Back In Town Starring In Philadelphia Theatre Company’s Red, On Stage Through November 13: This was a pinch-me moment. I still have the tape recorder stopped on this interview.
That’s all she — literally — wrote!