[Evenings in Philadelphia are always action-packed, and we want to help you cherry-pick from all the events and activities going on. On certain days that promise particularly bustling evenings, we round up our selections for the most can’t-miss pursuits with which to fill your schedule. See you out there!]
• Assistance at the Wilma Theater: Tonight marks the second night of the Philadelphia premiere of Assistance at the Wilma Theater. The comedic play is about a nasty boss and assistants who desperately want to accelerate at the company. Don’t miss this guaranteed hit. It is currently being developed by NBC into a TV sitcom starring the one and only Will Ferrell. Tickets are available online.
When: Thursday, January 3, 7:30 p.m.
Where: The Wilma Theater, 265 S. Broad Street
Cost: $39 adults, $34 senior citizens, $19.50 students and people ages 20-29
• Longwood Gardens Christmas: Check out the impressive Christmas lights and decorations at Longwood Gardens before they disappear until next holiday season. This is one of the last nights to enjoy the half a million lights delicately strung all around the grounds. Grab your friends and family and get one last dose of holiday spirit until next December.
When: Thursday, January 3, last entrance is at 7:30 p.m.
Where: Longwood Gardens, 1001 Longwood Road, Kennett Square
Cost: Tickets range from $8-$18
• Les Misérables at the Academy of Music: If you’ve seen it in theaters, you’ve got to see it in person. Tonight is Les Misérables’ second performance at the Academy of Music. Check out the esteemed musical (and recent movie box office hit) at 7:30 p.m. The traveling show boasts new staging and scenery inspired by paintings by Victor Hugo.
When: Thursday, January 3, 7:30 p.m.
Where: The Academy of Music, 1420 Locust Street
More Tonight Picks, below.
• Blue Cross RiverRink: The RiverRink at Penn’s Landing is open until 9 p.m. tonight, the perfect activity for wintry nights. Grab your friends or family and skate around the ice rink while taking in sweeping views of the Delaware River.
When: Thursday, January 3, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Blue Cross RiverRink, 201 S. Columbus Boulevard
Cost: Admission $9, Skate Rental $4
• First Thursdays at Johnny Brenda’s: Head over to Johnny Brenda’s tonight for their First Thursdays event. Enjoy some great sips while listening to Sound on Sound with Chris Wilson and special guest Dan Yemin. Prepare your ears for a night of classic rock and punk rock tunes. There’s also the awesome beer selection, of course.
When: Thursday, January 3, 8 p.m.-midnight
Where: Johnny Brenda’s, 1201 N. Frankford Avenue
• Laura Cheadle at Milkboy: Join Laura Cheadle, Andrew Whitman, Ang and The Damn Band and Folly Fields tonight at Milkboy Philly. The performance will be full to the brim with musical talent. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show begins at 9 p.m. With Milkboy’s specialty cocktails and a large dose of music, you don’t want to miss tonight’s performance.
When: Thursday, January 3, doors 8 p.m., show 9 p.m.
Where: Milkboy Philadelphia, 1100 Chestnut Street
• The HYPE! Presents “Guess the World Didn’t End” At World Cafe Live: Celebrate the Mayans’ mistake (the world didn’t end!) tonight at World Cafe Live. Downstairs at the venue, some of Philly’s favorite musicians like 9th Life, Keepers, Aaron Hehl and more will have you dancing the night away and celebrating the fact that the world is still intact.
When: Thursday, January 3, doors 6 p.m., show 7 p.m.
Where: World Cafe Live, 3025 Walnut Street
• The Music Man at the Walnut Street Theatre: The performances of The Music Man at the Walnut Street Theatre are quickly coming to an end. The musical is a tale of love and lies and is an all-time American favorite. Catchy tunes such as Till There Was You and Goodnight My Someone hail from this classic musical, so prepare for some toe-tapping.
When: Thursday, January 3, 8 p.m.
Where: The Walnut Street Theatre, 825 Walnut Street