The 2013 Philadelphia Flower Show, the largest indoor flower show in the nation, is entitled “Brilliant!” and is celebrating its 184th year with a theme inspired by the beauty and creativity of Great Britain.
Spanning two full weekends for the first time, from March 2-10 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, attendees will enjoy magnificent floral and garden exhibits and special programming, much of which will feature British experts and designers.
This year’s show will put a modern spin on traditional British icons, including the Royal palace gates that will welcome visitors and the show’s centerpiece, a sculptural, digitally enhanced rendition of Big Ben, featuring a light and sound show every half-hour.
Exhibits will explore Britain’s heritage and culture, including themes like Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, foggy London streetscapes, Royal events and much more. And, of course, a giant Union Jack will receive a distinctly “green” treatment at the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society exhibit.
Special Events and Activities
Accompanying the amazing exhibits at the 2013 Flower Show are theme nights and special events. More events to be announced, but check out a few highlights, below:
• Garden Teas: Have a “cuppa” in the garden with a British-inspired break during the Flower Show. Reserve your spot in advance for a refreshing break in an elegant space.
• Garden to Table Kitchen: Sponsored by Organic Gardening magazine, the Garden to Table Kitchen offers foodies a chance to see culinary demonstrations and discovered fresh ingredients from the garden.
• Theme Nights: The popular “LGBT Party” will be held on Sunday, March 3 at 4 p.m. Brides-to-be can enjoy “Wedding Wednesday” on March 6 and “Girls’ Night Out” is scheduled for Thursday, March 7. Be sure to bring the kids for “Family Day” on March 10.
• PHS Kids’ Zone: Children can take a break from the show and unwind in a special area sponsored by Einstein Healthcare Network.
• Designer’s Studio: Returning in 2013, the Designer’s Studio features daily competitions by professional and amateur flower arrangers will be critiqued on the spot by judges and audience members alike.
Sneak Peek Ticket Packages
For the first time, the Flower Show is inviting the public to purchase Pre-Show Sneak Peek tickets, granting behind-the-scenes access during construction during the week of February 15-28. Before the show officially opens, guests at the pre-show sneak peek will walk along the perimeter of the show floor and watch as the elaborate exhibits are constructed.
Click here for more info and to purchase tickets.
Philadelphia Flower Show Hotel Package
Be treated like royalty when you book your stay in advance with the Philadelphia Flower Show Hotel Package including overnight accommodations, two tickets to the Flower Show and various special offers.
Click here to browse available offers and book you stay.
We’ll have more on the Flower Show in the weeks to come but in the meantime, you can get a head start by purchasing advance tickets online.
Below, check out a teaser video and a rendering of the show’s centerpiece, a digitally enhanced rendition of Big Ben.
184th Philadelphia Flower Show
When: March 2-10, 2013
Where: Pennsylvania Convention Center, 12th and Arch Streets
Cost: Adults $27, Students $20, Children $15
More info: www.theflowershow.com
Big Ben rendering: