The 85th Annual Academy Awards hit this Sunday, February 24, and this year’s Oscars promise to be especially exciting for all of the Philadelphians eager to cheer on our favorite hometown film.
The film Silver Linings Playbook, starring Philadelphia native Bradley Cooper, has been a smash hit. It’s earned almost $100 million at the box office and is nominated for a whopping eight(!) Academy Awards.
Silver Linings is up for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay and it’s also the first film in 31 years to be nominated in all four acting categories – Best Actor, Bradley Cooper; Best Actress, Jennifer Lawrence; Best Supporting Actor, Robert De Niro; and Best Supporting Actress, Jacki Weaver.
Philadelphia, of course, is another star in the movie. Much of the movie is set and was filmed in Philadelphia and the nearby suburbs. And Silver Linings also celebrates and embraces the underdog spirit that Philadelphia knows and loves so dearly.
So it’s no secret what movie we’re going to be rooting for come Sunday evening.
As for where to watch the awards, we’ve got a few great choices for you. So grab a few friends and get ready for the red carpet.
Check out our top picks for Oscar Viewing Parties below:
• Red Carpet Party at 10 Arts at the Ritz-Carlton: The very glamorous and fun Red Carpet Party at 10 Arts at the Ritz Carlton is back by popular demand for its second year and, honestly, this party sounds pretty awesome — a night full of fashion, food, cocktails and of course, the Oscars.
Starting at 6 p.m., enjoy complimentary cocktails made with the brand new Casamigos Tequila, the new spirit that George Clooney is behind. Guests will also enjoy select complimentary snacks from 10 Arts Chef Nathan Volz as well as treats from Whipped Bakeshop. Be sure to dress to impress; there will be prizes given to the best-dressed lady, the best-dressed gentleman and the best-dressed couple. No need to fret if your outfit doesn’t win, all attendees will score a complimentary swag bag full of goodies. Best part: this event is FREE to attend, however you must RSVP to get on the list. To RSVP, email Samantha@vlahospr.com or call 267-687-0223.
• Ambler Theater: Every year, the Ambler Theater goes all out for their Oscar Party and this year you can celebrate the Oscars while simultaneously celebrating the theater’s 10th birthday. The Academy Awards will be played on all three HD screens. Tickets include food, drinks, a raffle, live music and more. General admission tickets are $40 and the Red Carpet Pass is $60. The Red Carpet Pass includes early entry at 6 p.m., preferred seating, and backstage champagne and dessert. General admission tickets include 6:45 p.m. entry, food and drinks.
• Bryn Mawr Film Institute: Head out to the Bryn Mawr Film Institute for their Best Exotic Oscar Party. Guests will get to enjoy a live HD broadcast of the Academy Awards in addition to shopping a bazaar-style festival sale hosted by Ten Thousand Villages, eat a dinner comprised of food from London to India and listen to live music. Tickets are on sale until Friday, February 22 at noon. Tickets are $60 for BMFI members and $70 for nonmembers.
• Llanerch Diner: Here’s a totally awesome one… not everyone can say they watched the Oscar’s from a location featured in an Oscar-nominated film. Well, the folks at Llanerch Diner are hosting an Oscar party in their diner which was a filming location in Silver Linings Playbook. One of Pat (Bradley Cooper) and Tiffany’s (Jennifer Lawrence) first “dates” is filmed at the diner. (And the diner has been feeling the love from an influx of new customers ever since.) Llanerch Diner will be broadcasting the Oscars and will serve guests a glass of complimentary champagne each time Silver Linings Playbook takes home a win. (It’s nominated in eight categories.)
• Noir Restaurant and Bar: East Passyunk’s Noir Restaurant and Bar is serving up speciality Oscar-themed menu items in honor of the big night. Sip on a red carpet martini, a $5 libation made with Grey Goose cherry noir, Sprite, Grenadine, topped off with a red sugar rim and a vodka infused cherry. Pair your beverage with veal Oscar bites, crab meat encased in thinly pounded veal and deep fried. Yum! Guests will also have the chance to win big. Before the Oscars air, guests are invited to submit their picks for best actor, best actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress and best picture. The guest with the correct picks will win a gift certificate to Noir.
• Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse: Cheer on your favorite Oscar nominee at Davio’s with their Oscar-themed cocktails. The libations are named for three Oscar nominees; The Daniel Day Lewis, The De Niro and The Hugh Jackman. Each speciality cocktail is made with a different set of tasty ingredients. Watch your Oscar nominee on the big screen while sipping on a beverage named after them.
• SoWe Bar: The Graduate Hospital spot is providing Oscar night attendees with some great specials. SoWe Bar is keeping you pleased with $5 appetizers, $7 Oskar Blues G’knight cans and for those who arrive in a tux or dress, your first round will be on the folks at SoWe. Plus, anyone who correctly guesses the winners of the big six categories will receive a $50 gift certificate to SoWe!
Know of any other Oscar viewing parties? Be sure to let us know.