April 18, 2013
Tonight Picks: Opening Night For The Beer Garden At The Porch At 30th Street Station, The Kick-Off Party For The Philadelphia Science Festival, BalletX At The Wilma Theater And More
Plenty of great events are on tap tonight in Philadelphia, including the Beer Garden at The Porch at 30th Street station, the first day of the Philadelphia Science Festival and the first performance of Ballet X’s Spring Series 2013.
The weather may not be bright and sunny like last week, but temperatures are sure pleasant, and tonight’s offerings include both indoor and outdoor options.
• Philadelphia Science Festival Kick-Off Party: Science Carnival After Dark: Graduate Hospital’s NextFab Studio plays host to the kick-off party for the Philadelphia Science Festival tonight! The epic spring festival is finally here and tonight’s event brings together a number of great and science-filled events and preview some of the fun events set to occur during the festival. Get the first taste of Yards Brewing Company’s official Science Festival beer, Pythagorean Beerum which will be available at all beer-friendly science festival events. Check out demonstrations from NextFab studio’s awesome laser cutters and 3-D printers tonight, too.
When: Thursday, April 18, 6:30-9 p.m.
Where: NextFab Studio, 2025 Washington Avenue
Cost: $15, save $2 with code “Uwishunu”
• Beer Garden at the Porch at 30th Street Station: Tonight marks the first night of the Porch at 30th Street Station’s beer garden. Bridgewater Pub heads outside to serve up four featured beers and pub fare to attendees. Tonight’s featured beers are Konig Ludwig Hefeweizen, Hofbrau Doppelbock, Great Divide Titan IPA and Warsteiner Dunkel Lager. Live jazz, folk and blues music also fills the warm, outdoor air.
When: Thursday, April 18, 3-8 p.m.
Where: The Porch at 30th Street Station, 2955 Market Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• The Raven Society Spring Swap ‘n’ Sip Bookswap: Bookworms and avid readers, there’s a cool event just for you at Brauhaus Schmitz tonight. The Free Library of Philadelphia’s group of young friends (The Raven Society) hosts a night of books and beer tonight at 6 p.m. Guests are encouraged to bring a book and participate in a book swap while enjoying food and drink specials. All leftover books will be donated, so feel free to clean out your bookcase and bring more than one. Entry is free for Raven Society members and $10 for nonmembers.
When: Thursday, April 18, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Brauhaus Schmitz, 718 South Street
Cost: $10 for members, free for nonmembers
• BalletX at the Wilma Theater: The Wilma Theater hosts one of the city’s most versatile and talented ballet troupes tonight. BalletX brings their talent to the stage for their spring 2013 showcase. This season brings together innovative choreography and world-premiere performances. Tickets are available online.
When: Thursday, April 18, 8 p.m.
Where: The Wilma Theater, 265 S. Broad Street
• Caribbean Cuisine Week: Enjoy a taste of the islands at a number of restaurants across the city participating in Caribbean Cuisine Week. The dining event raises money for athletes from Trinidad, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Jamaica, the Bahamas and Grenada to attend this month’s Olympic-level track race, the Penn Relays. Tonight is your last chance to enjoy a tropical bite for the good cause at restaurants like Mixto, Sabrina’s and Tashan. Click here or the full list of participating restaurants..
When: Thursday, April 18
Where: Participating restaurants
• FutureFest at the Adrienne Theater: Tonight is the world premiere of the Luna Theater Company’s play festival, FutureFest presented in part with PIFA. The festival debuts five one-act plays that all center around life in the future and how our own visions of the future impact our lives. The show runs until April 27, and tonight’s performance is the show’s preview so tickets are a steal. Grab yours for just $10. Admission for future performances is $25.
When: Thursday, April 18, 7 p.m.
Where: The Adrienne Theater, 2030 Sansom Street
• Hiraki: Tsunami Loss & Hope: PIFA, Settlement Music School, The Friends of the Japanese House and Garden and KyoDaiko Taiko Drummers present a touching performance to honor the victims of the 2011 tsunami in Japan. Tonight’s event is at the Shofuso Japanese House and Garden and begins with a tour of the locale from 5 to 6:45 p.m. followed by the performance at 7 p.m.
When: Thursday, April 18, 5 p.m.
Where: Shofuso Japanese House and Garden, 100 Horticulture Drive
Cost: $20 general admission, $15 for seniors and students