Activities abound in neighborhoods all over the city this evening, including the seasonal night market which rears its head tonight for its first event of the season. (Photo by R. Kennedy for GPTMC)
As the weather clears today, it’s time to get pumped for a fantastic lineup of events this evening.
The Night Market Philadelphia makes its season debut tonight in the Fairmount neighborhood with more than 50 food vendors dishing fare in the shadow of Eastern State Penitentiary. But that’s not all that is happening in the city tonight.
From gala affairs to a beer gardens to a ballet performance, take advantage of the fine evening ahead in Philly. (And get ready to keep it going, because the awesome events continue into the weekend … so stay tuned for our Weekend Picks coming tomorrow.)
Celebrate the weekend a little early. Read on for our top picks for this evening:
• Philadelphia Night Market: Fairmount: The first installment of this year’s hugely-popular Food Trust Night Market is tonight in the lovely neighborhood of Fairmount. More than 55 food trucks, restaurants and other vendors will be on-site with all of the food and drinks that you can imagine. Enjoy libations from Yards Brewing Company, cocktails from Alla Spina, hard cider from Frecon Farms and much more. Bonus: Team Uwishunu and Visit Philly will have a booth at Fairmount and Corinthian Avenues at tonight’s event printing mini Instagram photos for attendees. Use the hashtags #NightMkt #Fairmount in your Instagram photo for a free mini print.
When: Thursday, May 16, 6-10 p.m.
Where: Fairmount Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go
• Eastern State Penitentiary at the Night Market: In celebration of tonight’s Night Market, Eastern State Penitentiary is opening its prison gates for extended hours and offering guests discounted admission. Enjoy live music and a complimentary beer or soda in addition to late-night tours of the Penitentiary.
When: Thursday, May 16, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
Where: Fairmount Avenue between 19th and 22nd streets
• The Beer Garden at the Porch at 30th Street Station: Enjoy a variety of brews and live music at the beer garden at The Porch at 30th Street Station which makes its return to the outdoor space today from 3 to 8 p.m. This month’s featured beers are Hofbrau Maibock, Brooklyn Brown, Konig Ludwig Weisse and Yards IPA. From 3 to 5 p.m., listen to live jazz from The Red Hot Ramblers, and beginning at 6 p.m. on Thursday, take in the sounds of the Perseverance Jazz Band, a group hailing from West Philly that specializes in New Orleans-style tunes from jazz to ragtime.
When: Thursday, May 16, 3-8 p.m.
Where: 2955 Market Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Dance Theatre of Harlem at the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts: For the first time in eight years, the iconic Dance Theatre of Harlem comes to Philadelphia as part of the Dance Celebration’s 30th anniversary season. Watch the troupe perform a variety of performances ranging from modern to classic ballet. Tickets are available online or at the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts box office. The performances run all weekend long.
When: Thursday, May 16, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts, 3680 Walnut Street
• An Evening in Franklin Square: Celebrate the historic Franklin Square tonight at its fifth annual Evening in Franklin Square gala affair. Historic Philadelphia, Inc. presents a night of elegant outdoor fun beginning at 5:30 p.m. Mix and mingle while enjoying cocktails, a silent auction, dancing, dinner and much more all in blooming Franklin Square.
When: Thursday, May 16, 5:30 p.m.
Where: Franklin Square, 6th and Race Streets
Cost: $200 per person
• Phillies Phestival: Rub elbows with some of the Phillies’ finest tonight at the annual Phillies Phestival. The event raises money for ALS research. Families are invited to take part in baseball games and to pay the Phanatic Phun Zone a visit. The event also boasts autograph signings, more kid-friendly games and an auction. Add to your Phillies collection with a number of items from the silent auction including autographed mits, hats, jerseys and bats.
When: Thursday, May 16, 4:30 p.m.
Where: Citizens Bank Park, 1 Citizens Bank Way
• Sassafras Bar’s Five Year Anniversary Party: Sassafras, an Old City standby, is celebrating its fifth birthday tonight with a party and concert at 5 p.m. Admission and the concert is free. Bunches of food and drinks will be available for $5 a piece. Indulge in craft beer, martinis, mojitos, buffalo wings, loaded fries, hummus and pita and much more. At 6 p.m. enjoy the tunes of Kenn Kweder, a local musician who performs at venues all over Philadelphia.
When: Thursday, May 16, 5 p.m.
Where: Sassafras Bar, 48 S. 2nd Street
• Tangle Movement Arts Presents Invert!: Watch Tangle Movement Arts put on a high-flying show of dance, acrobatics, live music and more starting tonight during its aerial dance performance, Invert!. The feminist history-themed show features seven talented women who dance and dangle from the Rotunda at UPenn’s 40-foot ceilings.
When: Thursday, May 16, 8:30 p.m.
Where: The Rotunda, 4014 Walnut Street
Cost: General admission, $15; Students, $10
• The Fashionaires Vintage Pop-Up Shop: Shop designer vintage fashions at Hotel Palomar this evening at The Fashionaires vintage pop-up shop. Find scores from Oscar de la Renta, Christian Louboutin, Chanel, Christian Dior, Valentino and more at the one-day-only shop on on the second floor of Hotel Palomar Philadelphia in Tyng. Bring a new or nearly-new professional attire item, handbag, or accessory for women of all sizes to be donated to Dress for Success and receive a special gift bag.
When: Thursday, May 16, until 7 p.m.
Where: Hotel Palomar Philadelphia, 117 S. 17th Street
Cost:Pay as you go