It's almost the weekend Philadelphia, and the wide array of events set in neighborhoods all around is the perfect opportunity to start your weekend one night early. (Photo courtesy of The Mann Center)
It’s an evening full of free outdoor film screenings, live performances and more, and we’ve hand selected the top events going on in Philadelphia tonight.
The Hidden City Festival’s days are numbered, so take full advantage of the final days by visiting tonight’s A Sweater for Shivtei Yeshuron event to view a building-size hand-knit sweater. Sounds pretty impressive to us.
As thunderstorms remain a possibility for this evening, too, plenty of indoor offerings are also on the menu for tonight.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• The Hidden City Festival Presents a Sweater for Shivtei Yeshuron: The month-long Hidden City Festival is winding to a close in a few short days, so tonight is one of your last opportunities to visit at least one of the nine often unseen sights. Tonight, attend the unveiling of A Sweater for Shivtei Yeshuron, a collaboration event between festival participants. During the duration of the festival, attendees created knit textiles for a building-size knit sweater for Shivtei Yeshuron, a synagogue in South Philly. This event is for festival pass holders only. Festival passes are available online.
When: Thursday, June 27, 7-9 p.m.
Where: Shivtei Yeshuron Ezras Israel, 2015 S. 4th Street
Cost: Free with festival pass
• Philly on the Rocks Cocktail Competition: Toast to summer at Philadelphia magazine’s Philly on the Rocks cocktail competition at SugarHouse Casino. Enjoy libations created by bartenders from about 13 liquor brands (Bacardi, SKYY, Absolut and more), appetizers and live music at the evening affair. Guests, and a panel of judges (including Uwishunu!) will then be invited to choose their favorite cocktail out of the more than 20 beverages. The two winners will earn spots on the SugarHouse menu for a month. Tickets are $25 per person. In addition to drink and food offerings, tickets also include the chance to win an array of prizes.
When: Thursday, June 27, 6-8 p.m.
Where: SugarHouse Casino, 1001 N. Delaware Avenue
• Pixar in Concert at the Mann Center: Listen to the music from some of Pixar’s biggest hits tonight at Pixar in Concert at the Mann Center. Performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, the fun-for-all event is set for this evening, rain or shine. Tonight’s performance encompasses clips from Pixar’s 13 feature films and an assortment of music from each as well. The musical score will feature favorites from Toy Story, The Incredibles, Brave, Cars, Finding Nemo and more. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the performance begins at 8 p.m.
When: Thursday, June 27, 8 p.m.
Where: The Mann Center for the Performing Arts, 5201 Parkside Avenue
Cost: Reserved Terrace, $25-$59.50; Lawn, $15
• Peace on the Streets Festival: The Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing hosts acclaimed musicians and community leaders at its Peace on the Streets Festival, a festival intended to promote a peaceful summer in fun ways. The festival’s concert, the Peace on the Streets Jam, is headlined by Ace Hood, a rapper hailing from Florida who has partnered with some of the biggest names in hip-hop like Chris Brown and Lil Wayne.Community leaders include Pastor D, a man who spent 12 and a half years in prison, six of which were on death row and Brother Resean Bey, a representative from the Institute for the Development of African American Youth. Attendees will be instructed on steps they can take to end violence and how to promote peace in their neighborhoods.
When: Thursday, June 27, 3-8 p.m.
Where: Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, Columbus Boulevard between Chestnut and Walnut Streets
• The Schuylkill Center Presents Nature Uncorked!: Sit along the Schuylkill River tonight as Chari Towne, the author of A River Again, discusses the huge improvements of the Schuylkill River, and the efforts that it took to change its title of the nation’s dirtiest river to a water oasis that it is becoming today. Tonight, also enjoy a wine and cheese pairing at the Nature Uncorked! event. Tonight’s event is presented by the Schuylkill Center, but is located at 3 River Road in Roxborough.
When: Thursday, June 27, 7:30 p.m.
Where: 3 River Road, Roxborough
Cost: $15 for members, $20 for non-members
• Mega-Bad Movie Night at the Academy of Natural Sciences: Everyone loves a bad movie now and again, and the good people at the Academy of Natural Sciences hear your cry. Tonight, the museum hosts its recurring Mega-Bad Movie Night, and this month, features Night of the Lepus, a sci-fi horror film based on the book The Year of the Angry Rabbit. The movie tells the story of bunches of mutant killer rabbits (!) taking over a small town; get ready to cover your eyes, this one’s bound to be a doozy. Experts will be on-site to discuss the possibility of this sci-fi diaster happening in real life. Attendees are also invited to explore the Academy’s collection and enjoy libations from the cash bar and snacks.
When: Thursday, June 27, 6:30 p.m.
Where: Academy of Natural Sciences, 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• City Tap House Summer Movie Series: Catch a screening of The Goonies tonight at City Tap House’s weekly patio film series. Indulge in a plethora of Allagash Brewing Company brews and movie snacks while watching the classic flick under the stars. Every Thursday evening this summer, City Tap House hosts classic films on its patio and a craft brewery pair up. Admission is free, but drinks and snacks are pay as you go.
When: Thursday, June 27, 8 p.m.
Where: City Tap House, 3925 Walnut Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• French Films Under the Stars at Bistrot La Minette: Transport yourself across the Atlantic Ocean all the way to France at Bistrot La Minette’s French Films Under the Stars event. Enjoy French films, French fare and French wine this evening in the restaurant’s courtyard. Tonight, watch a screening of The Intouchables.
When: Thursday, June 27, 8:30 p.m.
Where: Bistrot La Minette, 623 S. 6th Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Schuylkill Banks Movie Nights at the Walnut Street Bridge: Enjoy a free screening of one of Wes Anderson’s latest films, Moonrise Kingdom at the Schuylkill Banks by the Walnut Street bridge tonight at a free outdoor screening. Moonrise Kingdom is the ethereal, summer film surrounding young love at a summer camp. Before the film, take part in a free raffle from Philadelphia Runner. Also enjoy free pre-movie snacks and drinks. The film is slated to begin at dusk, which is expected to be 8:15 p.m.
When: Thursday, June 27, 8:15 p.m.
Where: Schuylkill Banks by the Walnut Street Bridge