Take note, folks. This week is the final week of The Oval, Philadelphia’s pop-up park on the Parkway.
This summer, the awesome public space on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway has welcomed crowds to take advantage of daily eaducational programming, tons of free live entertainment, a daily lineup of food trucks and a weekly beer garden.
This Sunday, August 18, marks the final day of The Oval’s programming, so if you haven’t yet been out to Eakins Oval, it’s time.
This week, The Oval takes on a Carribean and Latin vibe, with the screening of Marley, Zumba and salsa dancing and live Latin music.
Read on for our top picks of not-to-miss happenings at The Oval this week.
• Marley Outdoor Film Screening: Tuesday, August 13, 8:30-11:30 p.m. To help get the Carribean and Latin-themed week started, Pyro Art Solutions and Philadelphia Parks & Recreation present a screening of Marley, a documentary about the life of pioneering reggae artist and political activist Bob Marley. Stay tuned to Facebook for weather updates.
• Johnny Cruz Latin Jazz Ensemble: Wednesday, August 14, 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Come out this week to catch the Manny Trio and a performance from the Kensington CAPA All Stars warm up for an evening of stellar Latin jazz. The Johnny Cruz Latin Jazz Ensemble hails from the neighborhood surrounding Raíces Culturales, a vibrant Latin American cultural arts organization, and brings its dynamic sound and multi-instrumental group to make The Oval groove.
• Beer Garden: Thursday, August 15, 5-9 p.m. It’s the very last beer garden of The Oval’s summer season, so come out to the Parkway to jam out to tunes by DJ DeeJay and Nasty Sinatra, play games like corn toss and bocce, plus take frisbee golf education classes. Sip a craft brew from Great Lakes Brewery or Sixpoint Brewery, or grab a good ol’ Yuengling, Coors Light or Blue Moon. This Thursday, Mama’s Meatballs food truck will feed folks until 9 p.m. Plus, take a break from the games and take part in a Zumba or salsa class, which alternate throughout the evening from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
• Rocky IV Outdoor Film Screening: Friday, August 16, 8:30-10 p.m. Come out for the last Friday night flick of the season as the alfresco film series of summer wrap up. Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and the Fairmount Park Conservancy team up to show the classic film Rocky IV — yup, the one with Dolph Lundgren and Paulie’s Robot — on the big outdoor screen. Movies begin around sunset, generally around 8:30 p.m.
• The Trocadero presents Final Vinyl: Saturday, August 17, 6-8 p.m. Saturday night, the Troc curates free live music for The Oval. Warm up with a DJ starting at 4 p.m., then stay tuned for the live band, Final Vinyl, on this last night of free rock ‘n’ roll.
• Oval Palooza: Sunday, August 18, 1-4:30 p.m. On the very last day of The Oval’s summer programming, come out with the family and join the brainy folks from The Franklin Institute for a liquid nitrogen demonstration, followed by a visit from live animals from The Philadelphia Zoo and family-friendly, educational music. Don’t miss this final chance to catch summer fun at The Oval before it’s done.
When: Through August 18, Tuesday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
Where: Eakins Oval, 2601 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
More info: www.phila.gov