Philadelphia, it’s time to gear up for the holiday weekend.
Though Labor Day relaxation time may not kick in until tomorrow, there are plenty of events happening tonight to prep you for an action-packed holiday.
Screenings Under the Stars, the popular outdoor movie series at Penn’s Landing, lights up its outdoor movie screen for its final free screening of the summer. On the other side of town, the Schuylkill Banks also welcomes a free outdoor movie screening this evening.
With the epic Made in America festival rocking the Benjamin Franklin Parkway this long weekend, Urban Saloon ushers in some early Made in America fun with an outdoor festival featuring beer discounts, games and the Budweiser Clydesdale horses — yup, horses.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• Screenings Under the Stars Presents The Lorax: Screenings Under the Stars, the quintessential summer series on the waterfront, ends with a free screening of The Lorax, a retelling of Dr. Seuss’ classic children’s book tonight. The family-friendly film begins at 8:30 p.m. at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. Guests are encouraged to bring picnics and blankets for prime movie comfort.
When: Thursday, August 29, 8:30 p.m.
Where: Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, Columbus Boulevard between Market and Walnut streets
• Schuylkill Banks Movie Nights Presents 10 Things I Hate About You: Due to some rainy evenings this summer, the folks at the Schuylkill Banks are extending their popular summer movie screenings. Tonight, catch a free screening of 10 Things I Hate About You along the Schuylkill River at 7:45 p.m. Before the ’90s feel-good screening, enjoy complimentary snacks and soda, and try your hand at a free raffle from Philadelphia Runner.
When: Thursday, August 29, 7:45-9:45 p.m.
Where: Walnut Street Bridge at the Schuylkill Banks
• The Clydesdales at Coming at Urban Saloon: Fairmount’s Urban Saloon hosts a pre-Made in America festival this evening complete with beer specials, a PAWS adoption tent and the Clydesdale horses themselves. From 6 to 9 p.m., sip on discounted Shock Top, Bud Light and Budweiser while the Eagles preseason game is broadcasted on an outdoor television. Enjoy free cotton candy from the good people at Alex’s Lemonade Stand and challenge your friends to a game of corn toss.
When: Thursday, August 29, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Urban Saloon, 2120 Fairmount Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go
• Yakitori Boy’s Luau Happy Hour: After a successful event last month, Yakitori Boy brings back its open bar happy hour. For $30 at the door sing, drink and eat to your heart’s content from 6 to 8 p.m. That’s unlimited karaoke, open bar beverages and complimentary bites. This month’s luau theme transports guests to Hawaii through decorations and also encourages attendees to dress in their finest Hawaiian attire (think leis and Hawaiian shirts). Don’t stroll in late, this event has been known to sell out.
When: Thursday, August 29, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Yakitori Boy, 211 N. 11 Street
Cost: $25 in advance, $30 at the door
• City Tap House Presents Stand by Me: Craft beer and movies are the name of the game at City Tap House this evening. As part of its movie and brewery pair-up, the University City haunt presents a free screening of Stand By Me with Dogfish Head Brewery. Popcorn and other snacks will be available as well. Food and drinks are pay as you go, but the screening is completely free.
When: Thursday, August 29, 8 p.m.
Where: City Tap House, 3925 Walnut Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Pairings on the Parkway: Wine, cheese and music take over Sister Cities Park this evening as part of its Pairings on the Parkway event. Relax with a bottle of your favorite wine (BYOB!) and enjoy perfect pairings suggested by the trained professionals at Milk and Honey Market. In addition to wine and small bites, enjoy a live performance from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the park.
When: Thursday, August 29, 5-8 p.m.
Where: Sister Cities Park, 18th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Cost: Pay as you go
• The Dell Music Center’s Essence of Entertainment Summer Concerts: Start grooving into the long weekend a little early a the Dell Music Center’s final Essence of Entertainment Summer Concert. Tonight, catch live performances from Funkfest featuring Cameo, Dazz Band, Confunkshun, Bar-Kays, Bloodstone and New Birth beginning at 7 p.m. Tickets are $25 to $60 and are available online.
When: Thursday, August 29, 7 p.m.
Where: The Dell Music Center, Ridge Avenue and Huntingdon Street