The curtain is closing on the wonderful Wednesday nights of summer. After a successful season of discounted drinks, museum admission, seafood dinners and much more, it’s time to say goodbye.
It’s the final evening of Center City Sips, Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at the National Museum of American Jewish History, summer vacation Wednesday at Twenty Manning Grill and the last twin lobster dinner at Oyster House.
Bid farewell to the well-loved events with one last Wednesday evening of summertime specials, and if you have been meaning to cross one of these events off of your summer bucket list now is the time to do so.
It’s last call for many of these events until they relaunch (fingers crossed!) next summer.
Our top picks for this evening, below.
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at the National Museum of American Jewish History: All summer long, the National Museum of American Jewish History has welcomed guests at whatever price they’d like to pay on Wednesday evenings, and tonight marks the last evening of the warm weather promotion. For the last event, embark on a tour at 6:30 p.m. featuring the correspondence between President George Washington and the Jewish community in Newport, Rhode Island. To keep up the merriment and the theme of an inexpensive evening, the museum’s Pomegranates Cafe will serve complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres for guests.
When: Wednesday, August 28, 5-8 p.m.
Where: National Museum of American Jewish History, 101 S. Independence Mall E.
• The Final Center City Sips: After a summer full of $5 cocktails, $4 wine, $3 beer and half-priced appetizers, the popular Center City Sips promotion winds to a close with one last neighborhood happy hour. Tonight, from 5 to 7 p.m., get out there and cheers to summer at any one of more than 80 participating bars and restaurants. The full list of participating bars and restaurants and their specials is available here.
When: Wednesday, August 28, 5-7 p.m.
Where: Participating bars and restaurants
Cost: $5 cocktails, $4 wine, $3 beer and half-priced appetizers
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art: Wednesday night is always an eventful night at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Its Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday event brings a variety of art-centric events to the forefront. From 6 to 7 p.m., practice yoga on the Great Stair Hall Balcony (bring your own mat) and at 6:30 p.m., take a guided tour of some of the museum’s most renowned pieces. Also check out themed tours, gallery talks and even a behind the scenes look at the costumes and textiles of the collection. The full listing of the night’s events is available here. Explore the museum at whatever price you choose from 5 to 8:45 p.m.
When: Wednesday, August 28, 5-8:45 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Twin Lobster Dinners at Oyster House: With summer winding down, satisfying your seafood fix should be the top of your end of summer bucket list. Fulfill your seafood fix tonight at Oyster House as it presents guests with a twin lobster dinner. The dinner is the perfect light dinner for two, or a very filling meal for one. The well-loved event launches provides guests with two steamed lobsters weighing in at one-pound each and corn on the cob for $26. The meal deal runs from 5 to 10 p.m. and is the last twin lobster dinner of the season. Head out to the seafood eatery tonight!
When: Wednesday, August 28, 5-10 p.m.
Where: Oyster House, 1516 Sansom Street
• Unknown Japan At PhilaMOCA: Catch a free screening of Samurai Pirate as part of PhilaMOCA’s free Unknown Japan film series. The series spotlights rare Japanese films that are largely unavailable in America. Tonight’s film, Samurai Pirate, is a family-friendly feature film about a wrongly-accused shipping merchant who escapes his punishment and becomes a pirate. Throughout his journey he is faced with a series of adventures with characters including a wizard, witch and an evil chancellor. The free film begins at 7:30 p.m. In addition to the free films, guests also receive free popcorn.
When: Wednesday, August 28, 7:30 p.m.
Where: PhilaMOCA, 531 N. 12th Street
• Summer Vacation Wednesday at Twenty Manning Grill: How does a Jamaican vacation sound right now? Transport your taste buds to the tropical island tonight at Twenty Manning Grill’s last summer vacation Wednesday of the season. Indulge in Jamaican delicacies like jerk chicken with coconut rice, Jamaican beef patties and plenty of Red Stripe to go around. Enjoy a $25 tasting menu or “friendly hour” specials.
When: Wednesday, August 28, 5-7 p.m.
Where: Twenty Manning Grill, 261 S. 20th Street
Cost: $25 tasting menu or “friendly hour” pricing