Raise a glass at Brauhaus Schmitz Oktoberfest celebrations from September 16 through 26. (Photo courtesy Brauhaus Schmitz)
Get ready to raise a stein at Brauhaus Schmitz as the bustling South Street beer hall celebrates Oktoberfest with a multi-week adventure.
From September 16 through 26, report to the German beer haven for daily doses of games, happy hours, live music and an epic outdoor block party on September 21 that shuts down South Street in front of Brauhaus and fills the street with steins of beer, live music, a pig roast and much more.
Plus, this year brings another round of Oktoberfest fun with a second festival slated for Sunday, September 22, at the Reading Terminal Market with Wurthaus Schmitz, Brauhaus’ awesome sausage and sandwich counter at the market.
Below, take a look at a handful of major happenings during Brauhaus’ Oktoberfest:
• Liter Lift Competition Qualifying Rounds: September 16-20, 8 p.m. nightly. South Street’s German beer hall hosts its own Masskrugstemmen, a competition of stein-holding skill. Each night at 8 p.m., 15 contenders will see who can hold a filled liter of beer with one outstretched arm for the longest time. The top two finishers from each night not only get sweet prize packages from various breweries, but also gain entry into the championship round, to be held on Saturday, September 21 at 2 p.m. Entry is free, but participants must reserve their spot here.
• Oktoberfest Flight Night: Monday, September 16 and Monday, September 23, available during dinner service. Preview 10 different German and American Oktoberfest-style beers in two tasting flights, all paired with rare, interesting DiBruno Brother’s cheeses.
• Chef’s Industry Night: Tuesday, September 17, 8 p.m. Chef Jeremy Nolan’s restaurant industry band Big In Munich rocks the Brauer Bund room.
• Oktoberfest at Reading Terminal Market with Wursthaus Schmitz: Sunday, September 22, noon-6 p.m. In its first year, Wursthaus Schmitz gets in on the Oktoberfest action with an afternoon-long celebration in the center court at Reading Terminal Market. Continue the celebrations with live music, German food and more beer.
• Oktoberfest Street Festival: Saturday, September 21, noon-8 p.m. The real headliner of the week-long celebration is the Oktoberfest Block Party on Saturday, September 21. Rain or shine, the block party runs from noon to 8 p.m., shutting down the 700 block of South Street with all manner of merriment, including oompah music, a pig roast and plenty of brilliant German brews.
Sound like a festival you’d like to attend? You’re in luck. We’re giving away two VIP tickets to Brauhaus’ Oktoberfest Street Fair!
Valued at $100 each, two VIP tickets will be awarded to one lucky winner, and include exclusive bar service in the Brauer Bund, full wait staff and bar staff with five private bathrooms, complimentary appetizers, six tickets good for beer from the VIP list or for food items, a commemorative beer stein and T-shirt and more.
Enter here through Wednesday, September 18, and click here for the official rules.
Brauhaus Schmitz Oktoberfest
When: September 16-26; Block party, September 21, noon-8 p.m.
Where: 718 South Street
Cost: Pay as you go
More info: www.brauhausschmitz.com
*The contest period has ended.*