September 12, 2013
Tonight Picks: Baltimore Avenue Dollar Stroll, Free Movie Screening At Paine’s Park, 5th Anniversary Celebration At Distrito And More
After a summer full of festivals, bar events, exhibits and shows, it’s no wonder our wallets are feeling a little lighter.
Well this evening, you’re in luck, the Baltimore Avenue Dollar Stroll returns to West Philly and is chock-full of deals ringing in at just a dollar a piece. That’s right, four quarters can get you anything from a mini-scoop of ice cream to a craft beer.
Also, Distrito celebrates its fifth birthday tonight with a live DJ and happy hour pricing all night long. So, go ahead and get that second margarita.
Tonight, you can have the best of both worlds — discounted spending and a variety of events that are just begging you to hang out.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• Baltimore Avenue Dollar Stroll: University City District’s highly anticipated Baltimore Avenue Dollar Stroll returns tonight for its only event this year. Make your way to the Cedar Park neighborhood of the city for deals ringing in at just $1. Little Baby’s Ice Cream, Dock Street Brewery, Aksum, Milk and Honey Market are only four of more than a dozen restaurants offering up deals. Select food trucks will also be serving up $1 items. Heading out for the evening of discounted food, drinks and fun? Check out our guide to the Baltimore Avenue Dollar Stroll.
When: Thursday, September 12, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
Where: 43rd to 50th Streets on Baltimore Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go
• Schuylkill Banks Movie Night: After a rain cancellation earlier in the summer, Paine’s Park, the Parkway’s newest skatepark, hosts a free screening of Rocky presented by the Schuylkill Banks. The one-night-only movie screening is appropriately located just a hop, skip and jump away from the famous Rocky steps at the Art Museum.
When: Thursday, September 12, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Paine’s Park, Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Cinco de Distrito: From 4 p.m. to close, Distrito kicks this Thursday evening up a notch with discounted food and drinks in celebration of its 5th birthday. Enjoy happy hour pricing from 4 p.m. to close — that’s $5 El Jimador margaritas, $5 draught beers, $3 Teacate and Modelo Especial cans and eats for less than $10. Tunes from a DJ beginning at 8 p.m. and a raffle at 9 p.m. round out the festivities.
When: Thursday, September 12, 4 p.m.
Where: Distrito, 3945 Chestnut Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• On the Concept of the Face Regarding the Son of God at Suzanne Roberts Theatre: As part of the 2013 Fringe Festival, the Suzanne Roberts Theatre hosts a thought-provoking show featuring contemporary artist Romeo Castellucci and his group Socìetas Raffaello Sanzio. The show, which is presented in part with the Broad Street Ministry, centers on religion and tests of fate. Tickets are available online. Tonight also welcomes the Fringe Festival fundraiser, Feastival, a sold-out foodie event on the Delaware River Waterfront.
When: Thursday, September 12, 7-8 p.m.
Where: Suzanne Roberts Theatre, 480 S. Broad Street
Cost: $39 for general admission, $20 for students and people in a wheelchair
• International House Philadelphia’s Benefit Art Auction and Season Kick-Off Featuring Zola Jesus: Beginning at 7 p.m. tonight, International House Philadelphia presents its first ever arts benefit, an evening full of live music, a fine art auction (featuring art from a variety of talented artists), complimentary drinks and bites. The event centers around a live performance by Zola Jesus, a renowned Goth-rock singer and songwriter and a performance by J.G. Thirlwell, an Australian singer, composer and producer.
When: Thursday, September 12, 7 p.m.
Where: International House Philadelphia, 3701 Chestnut Street
Cost: $30 for non-members, $25 for members
• Flyers Fan Fest at Xfinity Live: Until 7 p.m. this evening, Xfinity Live turns into a haven for Flyers fans at its Flyers Fan Fest, a three-day event celebrating the upcoming season and the team’s current training camp happening at the Wells Fargo Center. The free, outdoor event brings together hockey-themed games, a street hockey rink, Flyers merchandise available for purchase, a Flyers alumni autograph station and much more.
When: Thursday, September 12, until 7 p.m.
Where: Xfinity Live, 1100 Pattison Avenue
• Night Skies in the Observatory at the Franklin Institute: Explore the Milky Way and various parts of our galaxy through an up-close astrological tour featuring five telescopes at the Franklin Institute. From 7 to 10 p.m., feast your eyes on a variety of space’s most awe-inspiring sights, and listen to a presentation at 8:15 from Shawn Rush, a member of the Rittenhouse Astronomical Society.
When: Thursday, September 12, 7-10 p.m.
Where: The Franklin Institute, 222 N. 20th Street
Cost: $5 per person, free for members
• 2013 Fringe Festival: Check out our top picks for Fringe Festival happenings this week. Also be sure to visit the Festival Bar at Underground Arts, an evening hub that opens at 7 p.m. each night of the festival and features late-night cabaret and plenty of beverages.
When: Thursday, September 12
Where: Various locations