October 9, 2013
Tonight Picks: Kick-Off Party For DesignPhiladelphia, Free Music At The Kimmel Center, Shacktoberfest At Shake Shack And More
It’s another bustling fall evening (and tonight, it actually feels like fall) in Philadelphia, and the brisk air has us craving autumn amusements.
Luckily, an array of establishments in the city host Wednesday evening events to add some October spice to your week.
Tonight, the multi-day DesignPhiladelphia festival begins with a cocktail party, benefit and after party in Fishtown. Check out interactive art exhibitions, live entertainment and design installations while toasting to the important role design has played in Philadelphia.
We’re also smack dab in the middle of Shake Shack’s Oktoberfest, spoil yourself with a mid-week German-inspired treat.
For those looking for some evening culture, look no further than pay-what-you-wish Wednesday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and an intellectual conversation with sociologist and urban ethnographer, Dr. Elijah Anderson, at the Cliveden.
Our top pick for tonight, below.
• Pop-Up Place Cocktail Party + Benefit and After Party for DesignPhiladelphia: DesignPhiladelphia, the annual city-wide celebration honoring the historic role of design in the Philadelphia region returns this week with more than 100 events in tow. Help kick off the multi-day festival tonight at a Pop-Up Place Cocktail Party + Benefit, a full evening from 6 to 9 p.m. of art exhibitions, food, drinks, music and more at bahdeebahdu. Following the Pop-Up Place, an after party takes over American Street Studio, a mere few blocks from the cocktail party and benefit. Tickets for Pop-Up Place and the after party are available online and at the door.
When: Wednesday, October 9, 6 p.m.-midnight
Where: bahdeebahdu, 1522 N. American Street; American Street Studio, 2200 N. American Street
Cost: Pop-Up Place, $75 in advance, $85 at the door; After Party, $20 in advance, $30 at the door
• Sittin’ In at the Kimmel Center: Tonight at the Kimmel Center, its monthly jam session, Sittin’ In, takes the spotlight for an evening of free music. Listen to tracks from musician Donn T’s (Questlove’s sister) upcoming album and hits from her previous albums, too. Also groove to sets from local producer Lil’ Dave. Tonight’s jam session will be hosted by Stacey “Flygirrl” Wilson and is set to begin at 8 p.m. Dance to the upbeat tunes while enjoying drink specials from Garces Catering. The free concert takes place in the Kimmel’s Commonwealth Plaza.
When: Wednesday, October 9, 8 p.m.
Where: The Kimmel Center, Broad and Spruce streets
• Shacktoberfest at Shake Shack: We have your dinner plans. Shake Shack presents its annual Shacktoberfest, more than a week of bratwurst, bratwurst topped burgers, German-inspired frozen treats and steins of Oktoberfest beer. Menu items include a burger topped with a griddled cheddar bratwurst, an Apfelstrudel (or apple strudel) milkshake, and take-home steins full of Brooklyn Brewery’s Oktoberfest or ShackMeister Ale.
When: Wednesday, October 9, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
Where: Shake Shack, 2000 Sansom Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art: Explore the main building of the Philadelphia Museum of Art after-hours at a major discount at the PMA’s weekly pay-what-you-wish Wednesday. A number of special events take the spotlight this evening. Learn about the stories and meanings behind the museum’s medieval collection on the Hidden History tour, participate in a yoga class in on Great Stair Hall’s balcony, attend a contemporary art lecture and more. The galleries in the main building remain open until 8:45 p.m. this evening.
When: Wednesday, October 9, 5-8:45 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Cliveden Conversations featuring Dr. Elijah Anderson: Cliveden in Germantown hosts an evening conversation with sociologist and urban ethnographer Dr. Elijah Anderson about the provocative title of his new book and the image of ghettos in the mind of Americans. Admission to the event is free, but small donations are encouraged.
When: Wednesday, October 9, 7 p.m.
Where: Cliveden, 6401 Germantown Avenue
• Earth Bread and Brewery’s 5th Anniversary: Earth Bread Brewery, an eco-friendly home brewery and flatbread pizzeria in Mt. Airy, celebrates five years tonight with a beer-fueled party. Enjoy one-of-a-kind beer tappings and complimentary dessert for all guests. Play earth-themed quizzo beginning at 9 p.m. and even indulge in fresh eats from Weaver’s Way Co-op as it also celebrates its birthday today. Bonus: The first 50 guests will receive a free commemorative mason jar mug.
When: Wednesday, October 9
Where: Earth Bread and Brewery, 7136 Germantown Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go