The streets of Chinatown welcome more than live entertainment, 60 food trucks and local eateries for the Chinatown Night Market, the final Night Market of the year. (Photo by G. Widman for GPTMC)
The bustling streets of Chinatown close to vehicular traffic this evening in the name of the final Night Market of the season. More than 60 food trucks and restaurants serve up their finest eats along 10th street from 7 to 11 p.m. If you haven’t made it out to a Night Market (and even if you have), the Chinatown Night Market is one you don’t want to miss.
Plus, the Indian summer continues with more gorgeous weather this evening. Two days in a row of 80 degree days in October? That’s more reason than ever to spend some time outside.
Another street side block party takes over a section of Philadelphia this evening. Pizzeria Stella celebrates its 4th birthday with a blowout party along 2nd Street between South and Pine streets. Think beer, housemade gelato, imaginative paninis, live Italian music, outdoor games and more.
In addition to alfresco block parties, a fall tradition returns to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts as it presents its first PAFA After Dark event of the season (enter after-hours tours of the galleries, art-making stations, live entertainment and a speciality cocktail) and a few charity events pop up around the city… drink to a good cause!
Our top pick for tonight, below.
• Night Market Chinatown: Tonight, an all-time favorite event returns to Philadelphia as Night Market hits Chinatown from 7 to 11 p.m. with more than 60 of the city’s finest food trucks and restaurants in attendance. Sample gourmet mac and cheese, brick-oven pizza, tacos al pastor, fancy hot dogs, inventive popsicles and much more along 10th Street from Vine to Arch streets. There will also be plenty of beer, wine and cocktails. At 7 p.m., the spirit of Chinatown comes alive with a traditional Chinese lion dance through the streets and more live entertainment abounds throughout the evening. Note: this night market starts at 7 p.m., an hour after this year’s previous night markets.
When: Thursday, October 3, 7-11 p.m.
Where: 10th and Race streets
Cost: Pay as you go
• Pizzeria Stella’s 4th Birthday and Biergarten: Celebrate four years of Pizzeria Stella at its block party birthday bash located in front of the restaurant and extending to the Shambles on 2nd Street between South and Pine streets. Along the street, indulge in housemade seasonal gelato, paninis, giant mozzarella sticks, root beer, Peroni brews and more. All food and drinks will be offered at $5 a piece. Take note, this is a cash only block party. ALso look forward to live music from a four-piece band playing classical Italian music, pony rides, games and more.
When: Thursday, October 3, 4-9 p.m.
Where: The Shambles, 400 block of S. 2nd Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• PAFA After Dark: Spend a night at the museum as the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts kicks off its fall PAFA After Dark series of after-hours events. Explore the museums collection while a slew of live entertainment and art activities abound in the galleries. Tonight’s theme, Masters of the Universe, builds upon the Jennifer Bartlett: History Of The Universe exhibition that is currently on view. Sip a signature cocktail while Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens’ muralist, Isaiah Zagar visits and shares his artistic techniques’, Martha Graham Cracker puts on a fabulous cabaret show and more.
When: Thursday, October 3, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 118 N. Broad Street
Cost: $10 in advance, $15 at the door (free to PAFA members)
• No Kid Hungry and First Book Happy Hour at Square 1682: Sip for a good cause tonight at Square 1682. Enjoy two speciality cocktails along with the bar’s regular offerings all in the name of combating child hunger and distributing books to children in need. No Kid Hungry and First Book are teaming up to present this evening happy hour. Guests are also invited to participate in a raffle to snag spots at the organization’s upcoming signature events. Cheers to a good cause!
When: Thursday, October 3, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Where: Square 1682, 121 S. 17th Street
Cost: Pay as you go
More picks for tonight, below.
• Garces Foundation’s Think Local Give Local: Gala 2013: This evening, Marc Vetri, Michael Solomonov, Kevin Sbraga and dozens more of the area’s most highly acclaimed chefs and restaurateurs will gather at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts to serve an amazingly drool-worthy spread in support of Chef Jose Garces, his wife Dr. Beatriz Mirabal Garces and their nonprofit The Garces Foundation at its second annual gala fundraiser. This year’s event celebrates the theme of “Think Local/Give Local” which aims to provide access to quality, affordable healthcare and education for the city’s thriving immigrant communities. Guest will find local dishes and drinks made by some of the city’s finest chefs. Bonus: Tickets are $175 with the ticket code “Luna.”
When: Thursday, October 3, 7-10 p.m.
Where: Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, 300 S. Broad Street
Cost: $200 ($175 with discount code) general admission
• PHS Pop-Up Garden: It’s seriously beautiful out tonight and there’s no better time to enjoy the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society’s pop-up garden located across from the Kimmel Center at a University of the Arts-owned lot. The pop-up beer garden and restaurant provides guests with an array of tasty treats. Enjoy spiked root beer, sangria and local craft beer and bites from Garces Group. Plus, the pop-up beer garden is set to close next Friday, October 11. Check it out before it’s too late!
When: Thursday, October 3, 5-10 p.m.
Where: 313 S. Broad Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Philip Tinari on the Beijing Art Scene at the Philadelphia Art Alliance: The Philadelphia Art Alliance hosts Philip Tinari, the director of the Ullens Center for Contemporary Art in Beijing, tonight for an evening discussion about the art scene in Beijing. Tinari is not only the museum director, but a curator and author, too. He has lived in Beijing for most of the past decade and has learned about the art scene first hand. The lecture is given as part of the Art Alliance’s current exhibition, The Way of Chopsticks.
When: Thursday, October 3, 7-8 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia Art Alliance, 251 S. 18th Street
Cost: $10 General Admission, $5 students and members
• Happy Hour Blow Dry at AMS Luxury Salon: Get your hair done just in time for the weekend at AMS Luxury Salon’s happy hour blow dry, a $25 professional blow dry on Thursday evenings. From 4 to 7 p.m. stop by to get your hair done and to enjoy complimentary cocktails during the process. Sounds good to us!
When: Thursday, October 3, 4-7 p.m.
Where: AMS Luxury Salon, 262 S. 16th Street