Get in the spirit at holiday tea parties at numerous restaurants in the Philadelphia region. (Photo courtesy The Rittenhouse Hotel)
Care for a spot of tea?
While many places across the city provide Phildelphians with afternoon tea all year round, a few spots dust off their china and present their most flavorful teas especially for the holiday season.
Sip tea and enjoy finger sandwiches among Christmas trees and holiday decor at a number of hotels, restaurants and attractions in the area.
From an Alice in Wonderland-themed tea for children to a daily holiday tea with sweeping city views, there is something for everyone.
Read on for a number of holiday teas that are sure to get you in the spirit.
• Four Seasons Hotel: Every Saturday from November 30 through December 28, the Lounge at the Four Seasons Hotel transforms into Alice’s Wonderland for its annual Alice in Wonderland-themed holiday tea. Sip tea or hot chocolate and nosh on items like scones, sandwiches and sweet treats. Following the tea, watch students from The Rock School for Dance Education perform scenes from The Nutcracker. Guests are encouraged to bring an unwrapped toy to the tea to dedicate to the Salvation Army. The tea is $72 per person including tax and gratuity. There are two seatings per Saturday, at 1 and 4 p.m. Reservations are required, call 215-963-2750 or email email@example.com to hold your place at the table.
When: Saturdays, November 30, December 7, 14, 21, 28; 1 p.m. or 4 p.m.
Where: Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, 1 Logan Square
Cost: $72 per person
• Traditional Afternoon Teas at the Historic Strawberry Mansion: Discover the splendor that is the historic Strawberry Mansion at its annual traditional afternoon teas on December 5 and 6. For $40 per person, indulge in a fine selection of tea and finger sandwiches like smoked salmon and horseradish cream cheese and goat cheese and shallot toast and take part in a silent auction. Call 215-228-8364 to purchase a ticket to either one of the afternoon teas.
When: December 5 and 6, 11 a.m.
Where: Strawberry Mansion, 2450 Strawberry Mansion Drive
Cost: $40 per person
• Teddy Bear Tea at The Rittenhouse Hotel: The Rittenhouse Hotel’s youngest guests (and their parents) are invited to the Mary Cassatt Tea Room for a brand-new holiday tradition, the Teddy Bear Tea. Beginning at 11:30 a.m. every day from November 29 through December 31, children are invited to sip tea, enjoy child-friendly bites, listen to stories at the designated story time at 12:30 p.m. and end the event with a Rittenhouse Hotel teddy bear to take home. Reservations are recommended, call 215-790-2533 to secure your spot.
When: November 29-December 31, 11:30 a.m.
Where: The Rittenhouse Hotel, 210 W. Rittenhouse Square
Cost: $60 for adults, $30 for children
• XIX at the Hyatt at The Bellevue: 19 stories above street level, XIX or Nineteen restaurant at the Hyatt at the Bellevue welcomes holiday guests for afternoon tea every day of the week from December 7 to 29. From 2 to 4 p.m., sample scones, desserts, tea sandwiches and a bundle of loose leaf teas at its annual event. The tea is $36 per person and reservations are suggested. Call 215-790-1919 to make your reservation.
When: December 7-29, 2-4 p.m.
Where: XIX at the Hyatt at the Bellevue, 200 S. Broad Street, 19th floor
Cost: $36 per person
• Children’s Saturday Afternoon Tea at The Radnor Hotel: The Radnor Hotel in St. David’s hosts a special Children’s Saturday Afternoon Tea during the holiday season. On Saturdays December 14 and 21, head out to the countryside hotel for storytelling, a piano sing-a-long, crafts, a visit from the Toy Soldier and a child-friendly afternoon tea menu.
When: Saturdays, December 14 and 21, 1-3 p.m.
Where: The Radnor Hotel, 591 E. Lancaster Avenue, St. Davids
Cost: $59.95 for one child and one adult