Tonight, Midtown Village and other bars and restaurants in the area, raise their glasses to the worldwide wine holiday, Beaujolais Nouveau Day, with live music, food specials, complimentary wine and much more. (Photo by E. Mencher for Visit Philadelphia)
Happy almost weekend, Philadelphia! The city is abuzz with Thursday night events (and lots of wine) to help start your weekend a little early.
Today marks the annual wine celebration, Beaujolais Nouveau Day, a holiday toasting to a light, fruity wine from the Beaujolais region in France that is released for sale after being fermented for only a short time. Philadelphia celebrates the wine with complimentary samples, discounted glasses, food specials, live music and more all around town. Head to Midtown Village for tons of parties all along 13th Street or visit bars and restaurants everywhere from Queen Village to Rittenhouse Square for more festivities.
Tonight, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire premieres at The Franklin Institute’s Tuttleman Imax Theater a full day before it is released nationwide — and it is set to be shown twice at 8 and 11 p.m. Catch one of the year’s biggest blockbusters in a state-of-the-art movie theater before the crowds.
Sample food (and vote for your favorites) from more then 25 Fairmount-area chefs at Food Fight (formerly known as the Fairmount Fling), an annual fundraiser for the Fairmount Community Development Corporation. Also indulge in beer, wine and partake in a raffle, all for a good cause.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• Beaujolais Nouveau Day in Midtown Village: Tonight, the streets of Philadelphia transform into a Parisian rue for the annual Beaujolais Nouveau Day, a worldwide wine celebration of a French wine made in the Beaujolais region that is released for sale after being fermented for just six to eight weeks. Midtown Village takes part in the soiree with store discounts, complimentary Beaujolais wine, food specials and more all along 13th Street. Participating bars and restaurants include Barbuzzo, El Vez, Sampan, Opa, Zavino, Jamonera and Paper on Pine.
When: Thursday, November 21, 5-7 p.m.
Where: 13th Street, Midtown Village
Cost: Pay as you go
• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire at The Franklin Institute: Catch the premiere of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire a full day before it is released nationwide at The Franklin Institute’s pre-screening of the feature film. At 8 and 11 p.m., the hotly-anticipated film fills the Tuttleman Imax Theater. Seats are sure to fill up quickly (it is one of the most anticipated films of the year!) — tickets are available online.
When: Thursday, November 21, 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.
Where: The Franklin Institute, 222 N. 20th Street
Cost: $15 for non-members, $12 for members
• Food Fight — A Benefit for the Fairmount CDC: Benefit the Fairmount Community Development Corporation and the Fairmount neighborhood at its biggest annual fundraiser, Food Fight (formerly known as the Fairmont Fling), an evening of lots of food and drinks created by more than 25 Fairmount-area chefs. Sample bites from some of the area’s most loved restaurants and vote for your favorites in a number of categories. Also enjoy live music and a raffle. Tickets are $55 per person and include unlimited food samples, beer and wine all for a good cause. Tickets are available online.
When: Thursday, November 21, 6-10 p.m.
Where: Girard College, 2101 S. College Avenue
• Beaujolais Nouveau Day Around Philadelphia: In addition to Midtown Village, a number of additional bars and restaurants celebrate Beaujolais Nouveau Day with special dinners, wine discounts and more. Stop by Tria, Bistro la Minette, McCrossen’s Tavern and more spots for fun promotions. Click here to check out more wine-fueled happenings around town.
When: Thursday, November 21
Where: Various locations
• Elixr Coffee Cocktail Throwdown: Tonight at Rittenhouse Square’s Elixr Coffee, local bartenders and baristas duke it out to create the best coffee-centric drink and most impressive latte art, respectively. Beginning at 6:30 p.m., watch the bartenders and baristas compete while sipping coffee, cocktails and beer from Yards Brewing Company. Admission to the event is completely free, so get out there and cheer on the competitors.
When: Thursday, November 21, 6:30 p.m
Where: Elixr Coffee, 207 S. Sydenham Street
• QOTA Among The Trees on East Passyunk Avenue: Join the community’s Queers on the Avenue (QOTA) holiday party at Urban Jungle in East Passyunk. Sip free cocktails, beer, wine and enjoy festive fare (and Thanksgiving pies) at the soiree. Also partake in a raffle for restaurant gift certificates to help maintain East Passyunk Avenue’s fountain. Be sure to bundle up, Urban Jungle will be selling Christmas trees so its main doors will be open at all times. Cheers!
When: Thursday, November 21, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Urban Jungle, 1526-30 E. Passyunk Avenue
• Running on Water and Other Secrets of Animal Locomotion at The Wagner Free Institute of Science: Head to The Wagner Free Institute of Science for a presentation by Dr. Tonia Hsieh of Temple University as she discusses the amazing things animals can do — climbing up walls, walking on water — and tries to translate it to robot movement. Admission is free, but a donation of $10 for adults is suggested.
When: Thursday, November 21, 6-7:30 p.m.
Where: The Wagner Free Institute of Science, 1700 W. Montgomery Avenue
Cost: Free, Suggested donation of $10 for adults