December 11, 2013
[This holiday season, let Uwishunu be your merry guide. From brilliant lights and must-see attractions to festive events and jolly good times, check out our daily updates on holiday happenings in Philadelphia right here.]
The holiday season is full of gift wrapping, cocktail parties, cookie swaps, tree cutting and nights of home decorating. Save some energy with a relaxed Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner prepared for you by some of the city’s finest chefs.
Whether you’re looking to dine out on Tuesday, December 24 or Wednesday, December 25, consult our Yuletide dinner list for your holiday needs — we’ve broken it down into meals on Christmas Eve and meals on Christmas Day.
From Seven Fish feasts to festive prix fixe meals, well-loved Philadelphia restaurants are the place to be before or on the big holiday.
Read on for our picks for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinners, below.
• 10 Arts at The Ritz-Carlton: Center City, 10 Avenue of the Arts, 215-523-8273. Sample bites from 10 Arts’ regular menu or indulge in a three-course tasting menu from 5:30 to 10 p.m. for $45 with an optional wine pairing for $24.
• Amada: Old City, 217-219 Chestnut Street, 215-625-2450. Iron Chef Jose Garces’ Spanish tapas restaurant, Amada invites guests in for a cozy meal on Christmas Eve. The eatery will be open for both lunch and dinner when it will be serving up its à la carte menu and chef’s tasting menu. Take note, the restaurant will close a little early, at 9 p.m., on Christmas Eve.
• The Moshulu: Old City, 401 S. Columbus Boulevard, 215-923-2500. Climb aboard the Moshulu from 4 to 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve for sweeping waterfront views and favorites from the classic à la carte menu. Fill up on bites like clams, steak, oysters, butternut squash soup, artisan cheese and a selection of sushi.
• Positano Coast: Old City, 212 Walnut Street 2nd Floor, 215-238-0499. Get a taste of the Mediterranean during a Seven Fishes dinner at Positano Coast. The feast is $45 per person with an optional wine pairing available for an additional $35. The full menu is available here.
• Chart House: Old City, 555 S. Columbus Boulevard, 215-625-8383. On both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Chart House offers diners waterfront views in addition to its signature seafood menu. Fill up on bites like stuffed flounder, shrimp scampi, lobster and crab cakes. Chilly? Warm up with some lobster bisque.
• Garces Trading Company: Washington Square West, 1111 Locust Street, 215-574-1099. Transport to Europe this Christmas Eve as Garces Trading Company dishes out the finest in European cuisine on Christmas Eve. Indulge in the à la carte, featuring items like housemade mozzarella, gourmet pizzas and steak frites, or choose to sample items from the tasting menu. Be sure to fill up early, Garces Trading Company will be closing at 9 p.m. for the holiday.
• Fork: Old City, 306 Market Street, 215-625-9425. Fork will be dishing up a traditional Feast of the Seven Fishes meal this Christmas Eve. For $65 per person, indulge in family-style appetizers, pasta, an entree and dessert. For those looking for Forks’ regular fare, it’s regular dinner menu will be available as well.
• Branzino Italian Ristorante: Rittenhouse, 261 S. 17th Street, 215-790-0103. In addition to its à la carte menu featuring items like braised lamb shank and a cheesy veal cutlet, Branzino Italian Ristorante serves up a Feast of the Seven Fishes meal on the night before Christmas.
• Twenty Manning Grill: Rittenhouse, 261 S. 20th Street, 215-731-0900. This Christmas Eve, Twenty Manning Grill offers its normal fare to diners with a last seating at 8:30 p.m. Take note, the bar’s last call will be a little earlier, at 10:30 p.m.
• Headhouse Crab and Oyster Co.: Queen Village, 119 South Street, 215-418-0600. The traditional Italian pre-Christmas meal, the Feast of the Seven Fishes, takes the stage at Headhouse Crab and Oyster Co. on Christmas Eve. From 2 to 8 p.m., indulge in a solid lineup of fruits of the sea for $28 per person, talk about a deal. Menu items include crab-stuffed lobster, garlic mussels and a bowl of fried fish goodness.
• High Street on Market: Old City, 308 Market Street, 215-625-0988. Enjoy a Christmas Eve lunch at High Street on Market as it provides Old City dwellers with its regular lunch fare. In addition to lunch, guests are encouraged to place orders for bread, panettone and panforte for Christmas Eve pick-up.
• City Tavern: Old City, 138 S. 2nd Street, 215-413-1443. City Tavern treats guests to both a four-course prix-fixe menu and an à la carte selection on the night before Christmas. The prix-fixe menu rings in at $74.95 for adults and $34.95 for children 12 and under and is available from 4 to 9 p.m. The à la carte menu will be available from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for earlier diners.
• Bridget Foy’s: Queen Village, 200 South Street, 215-922-1813. Bridget Foy’s serves up Christmas cheer in a big way — with a take on the Fest of the Seven Fishes this Christmas Eve. Stop in for a fish-centric meal at one of South Street’s most popular, crowd-pleasing restaurants.
• Fogo de Chao: Center City, 1337 Chestnut Street, 215-636-9700. Carnivores, take note, Fogo de Chao serves up its classic Brazilian steakhouse fare for both lunch and dinner on Christmas Eve. Lunchers, enjoy a $34.50 buffet and evening diners, look forward to a meal ringing in at $51.50.
• Bistro St Tropez: Center City, 2400 Market Street, 215-569-9269. Overlook the Schuylkill River this Christmas Eve as Bistro St Tropez dishes up a tasting menu full of French-centric fare. Diners can choose from a three-course dinner for $38 or a five-course meal for $48. Menu items include a cheese plate, slow-braised lamb shank, salmon and chocolate mousse cake. An optional wine pairing is available for $18 for three-course guests and $30 for five-course diners.
• Stephen Starr Restaurants: With the exception of Fette Sau, Frankford Hall and Ranstead Room, Stephen Starr’s restaurants open their doors to Christmas Eve — from toasty Mexican fare at El Vez to gourmet pizza at Pizzeria Stella. Click here for the full list of Stephen Starr restaurants.
Read on for even more Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinners.
• Blackfish: Montgomery County, 119 Fayette Street, 610-397-0888. Conshohocken’s Blackfish, a BYOB spot specializing in seasonal seafood, serves up a fun take on a Christmas Eve meal. Stop by for a dinner inspired by the well-loved holiday movie, A Christmas Story. For $55 per person, indulge in dishes inspired by the film like an Ovaltine-inspired dessert. The complete menu is available here.
• Mica: Chestnut Hill, 8609 Germantown Avenue, 267-335-3912. Chestnut Hill’s well-loved restaurant, Mica, plates a Seven Fishes dinner on Christmas Eve. Celebrate the Italian tradition with menu items like scallops, longfin tuna and lobster tail. The complete menu is available here. The meal is $65 per person plus tax, gratuity and beverages.
• Paramour at The Wayne Hotel: Delaware County, 139 E. Lancaster Avenue, 610-977-0600. Christmas at Paramour at The Wayne Hotel means a prix-fixe dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. For $65 per person, and an additional $30 for an optional wine pairing, sup menu items like chestnut soup, sweet potato gnocchi, braised short ribs and chocolate ginger cake. Yum. The complete menu is available here.
• R2L: Center City, 50 S. 16th Street 17th Floor, 215-564-5337. Dine high above street level at R2L’s decadent family-style Christmas Day supper from 3 to 8 p.m. Take in sweeping views of the city while enjoying menu items like shrimp and tuna ceviche, French onion soup, fish stew and prime rib. Dinner rings in at $65 per person plus beverages, tax and gratuity. Click here for the full menu.
• Level 33 at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel: Center City, 1200 Market Street, 215-231-7300. The Loews Hotel’s pop-up sky-high restaurant, Level 33, invites Christmas Day diners in for a three-course prix fixe menu. Enjoy rich fare high above the crowds at the modern American eatery.
• Fountain Restaurant at the Four Seasons Hotel: Center City, 1 Logan Square, 215-963-2769. Indulge in appetizers and desserts buffet-style and entree items à la carte at the Fountain Restaurant’s Christmas Day dinner. Dinner rings in at $120 for adults and $60 for children, both excluding tax and gratuity. The first seating is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and the second seating is from 3:30 to 7 p.m.
• The Lounge at the Four Seasons Hotel: Center City, 1 Logan Square, 215-963-2769. From 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., The Lounge at The Four Seasons Hotel sets up a lofty selection of festive bites including turkey, ham, oyster shooters and soups for an all-day buffet. Top supper off with a slew of sweet treats from the dessert bar. Adults, pay $105 per person, children can enjoy the feast for $52.50 plus tax and gratuity.
• Chez Colette at the Sofitel Hotel: Rittenhouse, 120 S. 17th Street, 215-569-8300. Indulge in a luxe buffet at Chez Colette’s Christmas Day dinner. For $65 per person for adults and $22 per child under the age of 12, nosh on classic buffet items like salmon, pasta, mashed potatoes, an assortment of cheese, shrimp cocktail, salads, prime rib and much more. The buffet runs from 12:30 to 6 p.m. and the complete buffet menu is available here.
• Parc: Rittenhouse, 227 S. 18th Street, 215-545-2262. Parc, Stephen Starr’s brasserie decked its halls with Christmas greens and bows and invites Philadelphians to spend the holiday inside of the Rittenhouse Square haunt. Take your taste buds on a trip to France with traditional plates like duck confit, steak frites and escargots.
• Square 1682: Rittenhouse, 121 S. 17th Street, 215-563-5008. Square 1682 at the Hotel Palomar whips up a slew of à la carte comfort foods perfect for the holiday evening. Indulge in decadent bites like duck breast, roasted acorn squash, bacon-wrapped dates, pumpkin bread pudding and seasonal sorbet. The full Christmas Day dinner menu is available here.
• Chart House: Old City, 555 S. Columbus Boulevard, 215-625-8383. On both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Chart House offers diners waterfront views in addition to its signature seafood menu. Fill up on bites like stuffed flounder, shrimp scampi, lobster and crab cakes.
• Paramour at The Wayne Hotel: Delaware County, 139 E. Lancaster Avenue, 610-977-0600. Christmas at Paramour at The Wayne Hotel means a prix-fixe dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. For $65 per person, and an additional $30 for an optional wine pairing, sample menu items like chestnut soup, sweet potato gnocchi, braised short ribs and chocolate ginger cake. The complete menu is available here.
• Citron and Rose: Montgomery County, 370 Montgomery Avenue, 610-664-4919. Montgomery County’s premier kosher restaurant, Citron and Rose, dishes out a fine selection of menu items (think cod falafel, fried chicken and waffles and fried trout sandwich) on Christmas Day from noon to 8 p.m. The full menu is available right here.