December 11, 2013
Tonight Picks: Spirits And Suds Bar Crawl In East Passyunk, Holiday Shopping In Chestnut Hill And At The Christmas Village, A Holiday-Themed Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday At The PMA And More
Tonight, holiday spirit runs on high across the Philadelphia region.
From a Santa-centric bar crawl to holiday shopping in Chestnut Hill, along Rittenhouse Row and at the Christmas Village, it’s time to get out there and celebrate the season.
If dressing up for the holidays is your style, look no further than the Spirits and Suds with Santa bar crawl through 14 bars in East Passyunk. Participants receive a Santa or Elf hat along with deep drink discounts making for the perfect hump-day treat. The Cambridge invites winter revelers to don an ugly Christmas sweater for a tap takeover with Allagash brewery and an ugly sweater holiday party. Take note, the ugliest sweater takes home a prize.
Chestnut Hill welcomes the return of its seasons Stag and Doe shopping nights, a chance to support local businesses along Germantown Avenue while enjoying festive carols, treats and more seasonal fun and the Christmas Village continues to entertain the masses with holiday shopping from more than 60 vendors.
Plus, tonight’s the night to catch a holiday flick, make Yuletide cards and explore the galleries in the main building at the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s pay-what-you-wish Wednesday, running until 8:45 p.m.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• Spirits and Suds Bar Crawl with Santa: Sip seasonal craft beer and festive cocktails at 14 avenue bars and restaurants at East Passyunk Avenue’s Spirits and Suds with Santa bar crawl, an evening of debauchery and discounted after-work drinks from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 per person and include access to discounts galore — sip $3 seasonal craft beer, $4 holiday-themed cocktails, indulge in $5 bites (at select locations), receive a festive Santa or Elf hat and claim a Santa’s sipping stamp card for the chance to win prizes at the end of the night.
When: Wednesday, December 11, 5:30-9:30 p.m.
Where: East Passyunk Avenue
Cost: $5 ticket gets you $3 seasonal craft beers, $4 cocktails and $5 discounted snacks
• Stag and Doe Shopping Night in Chestnut Hill: Shop ’til you drop this evening in Chestnut Hill as it presents its second Stag and Doe shopping night of the season. Skip the mall and support small businesses along Germantown Avenue tonight until 9 p.m. Carolers, seasonal refreshments and helpful gift ideas from shop owners complete the recurring event. Plus, tonight, score a 25-percent discount on all ornaments from 5 to 9 p.m.
When: Wednesday, December 11, until 9 p.m.
Where: Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill
Cost: Pay as you go
• Christmas Village: Get some holiday shopping done at the Christmas Village at Love Park, an outdoor holiday market with more than 60 vendors selling items like holiday ornaments, jewelry, crafts and toys. Stop in for a bite or drink at the heated restaurant which offers shoppers eats including bratwurst with sauerkraut, strudels and pretzels and drinks including mulled wine and hot chocolate.
When: Wednesday, December 11, until 7 p.m.
Where: Love Park, 1500 Arch Street
Cost: Free admission; pay as you go for shopping and refreshments
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at The Philadelphia Museum of Art: The holidays take the stage at this week’s pay-what-you-wish Wednesday at The Philadelphia Museum of Art. Tune in to a screening of Love Actually and make holiday cards while enjoying the regular offerings — yoga, themed tours of the galleries — of the weekly event.
When: Wednesday, December 11, 5-8:45 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Cost: Pay what you wish
• Sittin’ In at The Kimmel Center: Groove to the tunes of Jeff Bradshaw, a renowned trombone player at The Kimmel Center’s free Sittin’ In concert series, tonight at 8 p.m. Bradshaw has shared the stage with folks like Jill Scott, Jay Z, Elvis Castello and The Roots and now, brings his talents to the SEI Innovation Studio at the Kimmel Center. Top off the evening of live music with cocktails from Garces Catering.
When: Wednesday, December 11, 8 p.m.
Where: The Kimmel Center, 300 S. Broad Street
• Waterfront Winterfest at The Blue Cross RiverRink: Waterfront Winterfest at The Blue Cross RiverRink is a wintertime hub of energy. Stop by tonight, as it remains open until 1 a.m., for ice skating, a holiday light show, a craft beer garden, fire pits (with s’mores!) and more.
When: Wednesday, December 11, open until 1 a.m.
Where: Penn’s Landing, 101 South Columbus Boulevard
Cost: Pay as you go
• Allagash Tap Takeover and Ugly Sweater Christmas Party at The Cambridge: Don an ugly Christmas sweater and get ready to sip Allagash brews at The Cambridge tonight as it presents a part holiday party and part beer fete from 4:30 p.m. to close. Plus, the ugliest sweater wins an Allagash gift basket.
When: Wednesay, December 11, 4:30 p.m.
Where: The Cambridge, 1508 South Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Donors Are Heroes Shopping Event: Support shops in Rittenhouse while benefiting a good cause, Donors Are Heroes, an organization that aims to grow awareness and support of organ and tissue donations and transplants. The Shop ’Til You Drop event kicks off at Knit Wit with a champagne toast at 6 p.m. After Knit Wit, visit participating stores to take part in the charity. Participating shops include South Moon Under, Charlie’s Jeans, Beans Beauty Supply and Rittenhouse Sports Specialties. End the evening with bites and drinks at Ocean Prime. A portion of the evening’s proceeds will benefit Donors Are Heroes.
When: Wednesday, December 11, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Participating stores throughout Rittenhouse
Cost: Pay as you go