Christmas is exactly one week away which makes tonight the perfect evening to check off your Christmas shopping list and bask in the glory that is the holiday season.
Head to Chestnut Hill for its final Stag and Doe shopping night which allows folks to escape the chaos of mall shopping and support the small businesses of Chestnut Hill. Browse gifts for family and friends while enjoying refreshments, carols and much more.
The Kimmel Center brims with holiday cheer as it presents the Holiday Pops! Christmas Spectacular, listen to favorite Christmas carols performed by The Philly Pops and a number of other local choirs.
For those looking to greet the midweek with some discounted drinks, look no further than Varga Bar as it hosts its annual calendar release party, an evening of pinup fashion and Ketel One cocktails flowing all night long.
Our picks for this evening, below.
• Holiday Pops! Christmas Spectacular: Tap your toes to holiday favorites at The Philly Pops’ annual Holiday Pops! Christmas Spectacular tonight at 8 p.m. at The Kimmel Center. This year’s show features vocalist Angela Brown, 150-person Pops Festival Chorus, The Philadelphia Boys Choir, The African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas Gospel Choir and the Philadelphia Boys Choir. Keep in mind, tonight is the second to last performance, so be sure to catch the well-loved holiday tradition before the season ends.
When: Wednesday, December 18, 8 p.m.
Where: Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, Broad and Spruce streets
• Stag and Doe Shopping Night in Chestnut Hill: Tonight is your final chance to get your holiday shopping done at Chestnut Hill’s Stag and Doe Shopping Night. Shop ’til you drop this evening in Chestnut Hill, skip the mall and support small businesses along Germantown Avenue tonight until 9 p.m. Carolers, seasonal refreshments and helpful gift ideas from shop owners complete the recurring event. Plus, tonight, score a 25-percent discount on all ornaments from 5 to 9 p.m.
When: Wednesday, December 18, until 9 p.m.
Where: Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill
Cost: Pay as you go
• 2014 Varga Girl Calendar Release Party: Tonight at 9 p.m., head to Varga Bar for the unveiling of its annual pinup calendar for 2014. Sip $5 Ketel One cocktails all night and mix and mingle with the 12 calendar girls themselves. Calendars will be on sale for $15 at the event, and a portion of the proceeds from each sale goes to the Liberty USO.
When: Wednesday, December 18, 9 p.m.
Where: Varga Bar, 941 Spruce Street
Cost: Free, pay as you go food and drink
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at The Philadelphia Museum of Art: Stroll the galleries house in the main building of The Philadelphia Museum of Art at whatever price you’d like to pay at the PMA’s weekly pay-what-you-wish Wednesday event. The main galleries stays open until 8:45 p.m. and offers guests themed tours, yoga, art discussions and even some holiday card making this evening.
When: Wednesday, December 18
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Waterfront Winterfest at The Blue Cross RiverRink: Warm up with a s’more and craft beer by the fire after an evening of ice skating at the newest addition to the Blue Cross RiverRink, Waterfront Winterfest. The pop-up holiday village, which is located adjacent to the RiverRink, features holiday shopping, a Christmas light show, seasonal fare and drinks.
When: Wednesday, December 18, until 1 a.m.
Where: Penn’s Landing, 101 South Columbus Boulevard
Cost: Pay as you go
• Macy’s Christmas Light Show: Holiday shop to a background of brilliant lights and festive music at Macy’s Christmas Light Show, a well-loved (and free!) tradition in the Philadelphia region. Running daily through December 31, the show goes off every two hours, on the hour, beginning at 10 a.m. Tonight, stop by at 4, 6 or 8 p.m. to catch the holiday show, which is narrated by Julie Andrews and features the sounds of the famous Wanamaker Organ.
When: Wednesday, December 18, 4, 6, 8 p.m.
Where: Macy’s Center City, 1300 Market Street
• QOTA at Adobe Cafe: Join the community’s Queers on the Avenue December get together at Adobe Cafe. Sip discounted holiday-themed cocktails and indulge in complimentary wings and nachos. Spread holiday cheer and bring a gift card to donate for local families in need.
When: Wednesday, December 18, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Adobe Cafe, 1919 E. Passyunk Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go
• Free Foreign Cinema Night at L’Etage: Catch a free screening of Last Tango in Paris at L’Etage’s recurring free foreign cinema night. Starring Marlon Brando and Maria Schneider, the ’70s film tells an emotional story, in an X-rated way. Don’t bring the kids to this one. L’Etage will be offering its full menu to pair with the film.
When: Wednesday, December 18, 7:30 p.m.
Where: L’Etage, 624 S. 6th Street
Cost: Movie, free; Food and drinks, pay as you go
• Five-Course Beer Dinner at Serrano: Indulge in a five-course dinner complete with five pairings of rustic brews at Serrano and Eulogy Tavern’s beer dinner. Look forward to plates like Long Island blue point oysters, lamb, chicken liver pate and a cheese plate to finish. Dinner is $60 per person plus tax and gratuity.
When: Wednesday, December 18, 6:30 p.m.
Where: Serrano, 20 S. 2nd Street
Cost: $60 plus tax and gratuity