Fine spirits will flow tonight on this almost-Friday evening in Philadelphia.
Percy Street Barbecue serves up the rare Pappy Van Winkle bourbon at a major discount for its A “Pappy” New Year party. With pours starting at just $7 a pour (for bourbon that can cost more like $30), the selection is expected to sell out fast, so be sure to make your way to the bar beginning tonight at 5 p.m.
Tonight, The Trestle Inn ushers in its first Spirit of Thursday event of the winter, which means complimentary bourbon and whiskey tastings from a special guest distiller and more.
On the food side of things, Cafe Lift hosts a fried chicken pop-up with the coming-soon restaurant, Kensington Quarters. Indulge in hot birds and quintessential fried chicken sides, all paired with your own BYOB selection.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• A “Pappy” New Year at Percy Street: Tonight, sip like there’s no tomorrow at Percy Street Barbecue as it presents an awesome deal on Pappy Van Winkle, a sought-after bourbon made in limited supply just once a year. Beginning tonight is Percy Street’s Pappy New Year, a major discount on the bourbon and a real treat for bourbon aficionados. Generally, consumers expect to pay anywhere from $30 to more than $60 for a pour of 1.5 to 2 ounces, but tonight at Percy Street, pours start at just $7. Pappy New Year will continue until the supply runs out, so go and get ’em.
When: Thursday, January 9, 5 p.m.
Where: Percy Street Barbecue, 900 South Street
Cost: Pay as you go; $7-$52
• Spirit of Thursday at The Trestle Inn: Beginning tonight, every other Thursday night at The Trestle Inn means complimentary (that’s right, free!) tastings of bourbons, whiskeys and other distillations. This evening, stop by from 6 to 8 p.m. to sample Scotch whiskey from Cutty Sark Prohibition at the well-loved Callowhill dive bar.
When: Thursday, January 9, 6-8 p.m.
Where: The Trestle Inn, 339 N. 11th Street
Cost: Free tastings; Pay as you go cocktails
• Kensington Quarters Pop-Up at Cafe Lift: In anticipation of their upcoming Kensington Quarters restaurant, the folks of the Pasquarello Restaurant Group — Prohibition Taproom, Bufad Pizza and Cafe Lift — present a night of fried chicken goodness tonight, January 9 at Cafe Lift. Starting at 6 p.m., bring a bottle of your favorite wine, or six-pack of beer and an empty stomach. Diners can look forward to fried chicken paired with traditional sides like biscuits, cole slaw and macaroni salad. Dinner ranges from $15 to $25 per person, depending on the chicken you fancy.
When: Thursday, January 9, 6-11 p.m.
Where: Cafe Lift, 428 N. 13th Street
• Opening Reception For Canicular: Demetrius Oliver at The Print Center: The Print Center’s new marquee exhibition, Canicular: Demetrius Oliver opens tonight with a gallery talk and opening reception from 6 to 8:30 p.m. The new exhibition projects a video installation of a live-feed of Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky, from a high-power telescope on top of The Franklin Institute onto an observatory-like structure inside of the galleries.
When: Thursday, January 9, 6-8:30 p.m.
Where: The Print Center, 1614 Latimer Street
• Night Skies in The Observatory at The Franklin Institute: The Franklin Institute’s recurring Night Skies in The Observatory event returns for its January installment. From 6 to 9 p.m., explore the night sky and learn what astronomical wonders to look forward to in 2014. Admission is $5 for non-members and free for members.
When: Thursday, January 9, 6-9 p.m.
Where: The Franklin Institute, 222 N. 20th Street
Cost: $5 per person, Free for members
• Thursday Night Supper at Cedar Point Bar and Kitchen: Every Thursday night at Cedar Point Bar and Kitchen, one item takes over the menu in food and drink form. Tonight, look forward to eats and drinks made with jalapeños for some spice for your Thursday night.
When: Thursday, January 9
Where: Cedar Point Bar and Kitchen, 2370 E. Norris Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Movie Night at Jet Wine Bar: Head to Jet Wine Bar for a free film, popcorn and a discounted cocktail this evening. Tonight’s screening is Melancholia, an apocalyptic drama from 2011. Sip a Cordial Orange cocktail, specially made for the evening’s screening, for just $5 a pop. The movie is slated to begin at 9 p.m.
When: Thursday, January 9, 9 p.m.
Where: Jet Wine Bar, 1525 South Street
Cost: Movie, Free; Drinks, Pay as you go
• Martha Graham Cracker Cabaret at L’Etage: Watch Philadelphia’s renowned drag diva, Martha Graham Cracker, take the stage at L’Etage this evening for the monthly cabaret show. For $15, take in the comedic drag cabaret accompanied by live music. The show is slated to begin at 8 p.m.
When: Thursday, January 9, 8 p.m.
Where: L’Etage, 624 S. 6th Street
• Nitro Circus Live at Wells Fargo Center: Tonight, 40 of the world’s most daring extreme sports athletes take over the Wells Fargo Center for Nitro Circus Live. Headed by Travis Pastrana, a leader in the world of extreme sports, expect an evening of scary tricks performed on motocross bikes, BMX bikes and skateboards. The show is slated to start at 7:30 p.m.
When: Thursday, January 9, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Wells Fargo Center, 3601 S. Broad Street