January 8, 2014
Tonight Picks: Fireside Dining Across The City, Opening Reception For Art In City Hall’s Eco+Fashion Exhibition, Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday At The Art Museum And More
The light at the end of the polar vortex tunnel may be visible (40 degrees on Friday and 50 degrees on Saturday!), but this evening, the raw weather is still going strong.
Don’t let the cold weather scare you away, stay warm next to a toasty fireplace at numerous bars and restaurants in the region. From South Philly to Rittenhouse to University City, there is fireside dining available all around Philadelphia.
Tonight is also the opening reception for the Art in City Hall program’s new exhibition, Eco+Fashion. Through wearable art, the exhibition promotes eco-consciousness and shines light on sustainability issues we face everyday. Keep an eye out for dresses made of plastic shopping bags, old sweaters and much more.
Warm up inside of The Philadelphia Museum of Art’s weekly pay-what-you-wish Wednesday event. Stroll the galleries housed inside of the main building, stretch out in Great Stair Hall at a free yoga class, make a themed craft and much more.
Our top picks for tonight below.
• Fireside Dining at Bars and Restaurants in the Region: Saying it’s cold out there is a major understatement. Tonight, cozy up with friends and indulge in a tasty meal, or happy hour drinks, next to a roaring fireplace. From British pub fare at The Dandelion to fridge upon fridge of craft beer at Hawthornes, there are tons of spots to warm up throughout Philadelphia. Click here for our guide to fireside dining in Philadelphia.
When: Wednesday, January 8
Where: Participating locations
Cost: Pay as you go
• Art in City Hall Presents Eco+Fashion’s Opening Reception: Tonight, celebrate the debut of Eco+Fashion, a new exhibition presented by the Art in City Hall program at its opening reception from 5 to 7 p.m. The exhibition promotes eco-consciousness and brings awareness to sustainability issues via wearable art. It also welcomes a corresponding installation by local (and sustainable!) retailer, United By Blue. Look forward to dresses made from everything from pineapple fiber to bicycle parts.
When: Wednesday, January 8, 5-7 p.m.
Where: Art Gallery in City Hall, Broad and Market Streets
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at The Philadelphia Museum of Art: Explore the main building of the Philadelphia Museum of Art after-hours at a major discount at the museum’s weekly pay-what-you-wish Wednesday. A number of special events take the spotlight this evening including yoga, a neon craft and themed tours. Also munch on snacks and sip drinks from Stephen Starr Events. The galleries in the main building remain open until 8:45 p.m. this evening.
When: Wednesday, January 8, 5-8:45 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Cost: Pay what you wish
• Great Voyages: Travels, Triumphs, and Tragedies Lecture Series at the Penn Museum: The Penn Museum’s voyage-themed lecture series returns tonight at 6 p.m. with a discussion about Gilgamesh, a figure from ancient Mesopotamia. Hear about Gilgamesh’s most impressive feats and what they mean in modern society and what they meant in ancient Mesopotamian society. Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for museum members, free for students and $10 at the door.
When: Wednesday, January 8, 6-7:30 p.m.
Where: Penn Museum, 3260 South Street
Cost: $5 for general public, $2 Penn Museum members, $10 at the door, free for students
• Sittin’ In at The Kimmel Center: The Kimmel Center’s free evening of hip shaking music returns with the January installment of its Sittin’ In event. Hosted by Dice Raw, a former member of The Roots, the performance showcases his acclaimed rap songs and explores his views on the tragedy of mass incarceration. Doors open at 8 p.m. where folks will be greeted by a DJ, the show is slated to begin at 9 p.m.
When: Wednesday, January 8, 8 p.m.
Where: The Kimmel Center, Broad and Spruce Streets
• Blue Cross RiverRink: For those brave enough to face the polar vortex, head to the Blue Cross RiverRink to show off your finest ice skating moves. Bundle up (seriously, bundle) and head to Penn’s Landing to take in the wintry views of the Delaware River and to skate on the ice with fellow Philadelphians. Skating runs until 8:30 p.m. tonight. Afterward, warm up with dinner and a drink at one of the many nearby bars and restaurants, including the Continental Old City, Han Dynasty and Triumph Brewing Company.
When: Wednesday, January 8, until 8:30 p.m.
Where: Blue Cross RiverRink, Columbus Boulevard at Market Street
Cost: Admission, $3; Skate Rental, $10; Free Admission for Independence Blue Cross members
• My Ruined Life Season 3 Party at Underground Arts: Celebrate the season premiere of My Ruined Life, an online television series filmed in Philadelphia and starring talent from the City of Brotherly Love, at a concert and party at Underground Arts. Tonight, enjoy live music, Philadelphia Brewing Company drink specials and a peek at season 3. Admission is completely free, just pay for drinks on a pay as you go basis.
When: Wednesday, January 8, 7-11 p.m.
Where: Underground Arts, 1200 Callowhill Street
Cost: Pay as you go