Looking to start the weekend a little early? You’re in luck. There are a ton of events on tap for this Thursday evening, including opportunities to sip free or discounted drinks, a fifth birthday fiesta and a mash-up between three well-loved local restaurants.
Pizza Brain and Little Baby’s Ice Cream team up once again to present their Third Thursdee event, a food collaboration between the two neighboring restaurants and one lucky guest restaurant. Tonight, the popular Cheu Noodle Bar brings an Asian spin to the restaurants’ pizza and ice cream — along with free sake and whiskey.
Old City’s Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction shop hosts a party for its newly updated and expanded Warby Parker eyeglass section. Look forward to Art in the Age cocktails and a slew of vintage-inspired eyewear to boot.
Cantina Dos Segundos, Northern Liberties’ popular Mexican bar and restaurant, celebrates its fifth birthday with discounted margaritas, shots, beer, snacks and five on-site DJs. The festivities run until 2 a.m., so you have plenty of time to join in the fun.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• Third Thursdee at Pizza Brain: Join Pizza Brain and Little Baby’s Ice Cream for the February Third Thursdee event, a night of friendly food collaboration between the neighboring eateries and one local guest restaurant. Tonight, the team welcomes Cheu Noodle Bar for an Asian fusion take on pizza and ice cream along with free sake, whiskey drinks and homemade juice.
When: Thursday, February 20, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Pizza Brain, 2313 Frankford Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go
• Warby Parker Expansion Party at Art in the Age: Check out the new and improved Warby Parker eyeglass section at Art in the Age at an evening fete at the Old City boutique. Tonight from 7 to 9 p.m., sip cocktails made with Art in the Age spirits and try on the vintage-inspired eyewear that inhabit the shelves
When: Thursday, February 20, 7-9 p.m.
Where: Art in the Age, 116 N. 3rd Street
• Cantina Dos Segundos’ 5th Birthday: This evening, Cantina Dos Segundos in Northern Liberties throws a fifth birthday fiesta all night long. Until the bar closes at 2 a.m., enjoy $5 El Jimador margaritas, $5 shots and $5 Mexican snacks. And, beginning at 10 p.m., move to music from a number of on-site DJs. Raise a margarita (with salt or sugar, it’s your call) to five years of Northern Liberties’ well-loved Mexican spot.
When: Thursday, February 20, until 2 a.m.
Where: Cantina dos Segundos, 931 N. 2nd Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Rasta Thomas’ Bad Boys of Dance: Tonight, the dynamic dance troupe Rasta Thomas’ Bad Boys of Dance takes the stage at the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts. The group, which has been seen on Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance, is set to perform a high-spirited 80-minute show for its Philadelphia audience. Look forward to impressive routines to songs by Kanye West, Michael Jackson, Coldplay, The Beatles, Robin Thicke, Usher, Queen, Justin Timberlake and more. Tickets start at $20 for tonight’s 7:30 p.m. show.
When: Thursday, February 20, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts, 3680 Walnut Street
• Beer Olympics at The Cambridge: The Cambridge continues its Beer Olympics with a kick the keg match up between Germany’s Bitburger Pils and Russia’s Baltika Ale. Support your favorite country (and beer!) by sipping draughts to help empty the keg. Plus, both competing brews will be available for just $4 a pop.
When: Thursday, February 20
Where: The Cambridge, 1508 South Street
Cost: $4 per competing beer
• Spirit of Thursday at The Trestle Inn: Sip free samples of Rebellion Bourbon at The Trestle Inn’s recurring Spirit of Thursday event. From 6 to 8 p.m., taste the Kentucky straight bourbon in the Callowhill dive bar. After sampling the bourbon, enjoy $8 Rebellion Bourbon old fashions, too.
When: Thursday, February 20, 6-8 p.m.
Where: The Trestle Inn, 339 N. 11th Street
• Mega-Bad Movie Night at The Academy of Natural Sciences: The Academy of Natural Sciences hosts a screening of Jurassic Park III as part of its Mega-Bad Movie Night. For $18, catch the flick, enjoy complimentary snacks, hands-on activities, tour the museum and indulge in a cash wine and beer bar. The film is slated to begin at 8 p.m., but guests are welcome to explore the museum and mingle with other guests beginning at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are available online.
When: Thursday, February 20, 6:30 p.m.
Where: The Academy of Natural Sciences, 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Other Desert Cities at the Walnut Street Theatre: Spend your Thursday evening at the theater as Other Desert Cities continues its runs at the Walnut Street Theatre. The award-winning play, which was written by the creator of TV’s Brothers & Sisters, tells the story of the ups and downs of a dysfunctional family Christmas in Palm Springs.
When: Thursday, February 20, 8 p.m.
Where: Walnut Street Theatre, 825 Walnut Street