Pay-what-you-wish Wednesday returns to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and did you know it includes a free yoga class from 6 to 7 p.m. (Photo courtesy Philadelphia Museum of Art)
Before tomorrow’s predicted snowstorm hits, get out there and enjoy an almost snow-free city at tons of spots all around town.
Tonight, the Institute of Contemporary Art celebrates 50-years with a public party featuring a first look at the 50-year exhibition and music provided by Questlove and DJ PHSH. Count us in.
It’s also pay-what-you-wish Wednesday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art which means themed tours, crafts, drinks, yoga and much more inside of the PMA’s main building.
For those looking for some booze before the big storm, Oyster House presents its “Shuck Buddies” happy hour, a one-night-only oyster and beer fest. Indulge in $3 featured Yards Brewing Company draughts, $1 oysters and clams, $3 oyster shooters, $3 Kenzingers and a $5 Oyster House speciality cocktail. Cheers to that.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at The Philadelphia Museum of Art: Stroll the galleries of the main building at the Philadelphia Museum of Art at a discounted price at the PMA’s weekly pay-what-you-wish Wednesday event. Every Wednesday evening, a variety of programming takes the stage — themed tours, crafts, yoga, art films and more. Explore the museum, and take part in the activities, at whatever price you choose from 5 to 8:45 p.m.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 5-8:45 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Opening Reception for ICA@50: Pleasing Artists and Publics Since 1963: Celebrate 50 years of the Institute of Contemporary Art with a formidable fete to open its marquee exhibition, ICA@50: Pleasing Artists And Publics Since 1963. Tonight, the party starts at 6:30 p.m. with a first look at the exhibition. Then, join none other than The Roots’ Questlove and DJ PHSH from 8 to 10 p.m. for some high-energy tunes. Best of all? The party is completely free.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 6:30-10 p.m.
Where: University of Pennsylvania, 118 S. 36th Street
• “Shuck Buddies” Happy Hour at Oyster House: Sip discounted Yards brews and indulge in affordable clams and oysters at Oyster House’s “Shuck Buddies” happy hour. Oyster House and Yards Brewing Company have teamed up to present four featured $3 draughts, $1 oysters and clams, $3 oyster shooters, $3 Kenzingers and a $5 Oyster House speciality cocktail. Happy hour runs from 5 to 7 p.m., but we recommend getting there right on time if you want to snag a seat.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 5-7 p.m.
Where: Oyster House, 1516 Sansom Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Bromance Collaboration Dinner at Ela: Tonight, chefs Jason Cichonski of Ela and Scott Schroeder of South Philadelphia Tap Room and American Sardine Bar pair off to present a bromance collaboration dinner at Ela. The four-course menu consists of items that express the styles of both chefs. Think warm poached oyster and foie gras, gnocchi with aged cheddar and black garlic-glazed pork cheeks with celery roots. Dinner costs $50 per person and an optional $20 drink pairing is available as well.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 5:30 p.m.-close
Where: Ela, 627 S. 3rd Street
Cost: $50 per person, drink pairing $20
• Opening Night of BalletX Winter Series 2014: It’s night one of BalletX’s Winter Series 2014. Watch the contemporary ballet troupe debut two world premieres, a company premiere and a company return tonight at 8 p.m. Winter Series 2014 showcases the group’s athleticism and talent through a variety of performances, many of which channel various types of dance including influences from classical, modern, contemporary and hip hop.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 8 p.m.
Where: The Wilma Theater, 265 S. Broad Street
Cost: General Admission, $35-$40; Seniors, $30-$33; Students, $22-$25
• Nerd Nite Presents When the Stars Align — The Convergence of Art & Science at Frankford Hall: The Print Center makes for Frankford Hall’s recurring Nerd Nite for a discussion about its current exhibition, Demetrius Oliver: Canicular. Learn about the relationship between art and science from the folks at The Print Center and Derrick Pitts, the Chief Astronomer and Planetarium Director for the Franklin Institute. Admission is $5 per person, food and drinks are available on a pay as you go basis. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show is slated for 7:30 p.m.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 7 p.m.
Where: Frankford Hall, 1210 Frankford Avenue
More picks, below.
• Network to End Hunger: This evening, YB Connected presents Network to End Hunger, a benefit for Philabundance at the Union League in Philadelphia. Mix and mingle with likeminded professionals and enjoy live entertainment, drink specials, small plates and more from 6 to 9 p.m. Tickets are available online until 5 p.m. Dress in your Sunday’s finest — guys are encouraged to wear a jacket and tie and business casual is encouraged for women.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 6 p.m.
Where: Union League of Philadelphia, 140 S. Broad Street
• Philadelphia Auto Show: The Philadelphia Auto Show invites the masses to check out some of the coolest cars in the business until 10 p.m. Look forward to the newest models from Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln, Ford, KIA and much more. High-end luxury vehicles are also slated to make an appearance. Ever dreamed of posing inside of an Aston Martin or Maserati? Now’s your chance. Click here for our guide to the action.
When: Wednesday, February 12, until 10 p.m.
Where: Pennsylvania Convention Center, 1101 Arch Street
Cost: Adults, $12; Active military, $9; Seniors, $6 (Weekdays Only); Children ages 7-12, $6; Free for children under 6
• Style Social in Manayunk: Tonight, check out the fashion of local and international designers at the Style Social in Manayunk. Located at The Transfer Station, a cool co-working space on Main Street, watch the Macy’s Center City 2013 Fashion Incubator designers in residence debut their collections alongside emerging international designers from countries like Hungary and Italy. Admission is completely free, just click here to register for the fashion-forward soirée.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 6:30 p.m.
Where: The Transfer Station, 4120 Main Street
• Whiskey Wednesday at The Mildred: Every Wednesday night, The Mildred dishes out whiskey flights and appropriate food pairings in the bar and dining room. The recurring event is only in its second week, so head out and support the new pairing.
When: Wednesday, February 12
Where: The Mildred, 824 S. 8th Street
Cost: Pay as you go
• Devil’s Alley and Smokin Betty’s 7th annual Puppy Love Valentine’s Party: Smokin’ Betty’s and Devil’s Alley team up once again this Valentine’s Day to host the seventh year of a Puppy Love Valentines Party tonight at the 23rd Street Armory. Bring your dog to a celebration of furry friends complete with cocktails, treats, a silent auction, dancing, a puppy photo booth, pet adoption and a doggy fashion show. Event proceeds benefit the SPCA. Tickets are $40 for general admission, $150 for VIP, and are available online.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 6-10 p.m.
Where: 23rd Street Armory, 22 S 23rd St
Cost: $40 for general admission, $150 for VIP
• Ars Nova Workshop Presents Ethnic Heritage Ensemble at The Rotunda: Tonight, Ars Nova Workshop presents the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble in a free concert at The Rotunda at UPenn. Celebrate the group’s new album and 40th anniversary tonight at 8 p.m.
When: Wednesday, February 12, 8 p.m.
Where: The Rotunda, 4014 Walnut Street