Tonight, the food, music and drinks of Hawaii fill Morgan’s Pier for an all-you-can-eat summer luau. (Photo by M. Edlow for Visit Philadelphia)
So many summer night in Philadelphia brim with hot happenings. And tonight is definitely one of those nights.
First up: your beloved Taney Dragons. Last night’s game broke ESPN ratings records. Everyone in Philadelphia watched. And while Taney lost, they’re still alive. They have a do or die game tonight at 7:30 p.m. against Chicago. We’re fully expecting another great game, and we have our recommended places to watch below.
Also tonight, there are a bunch of movie screenings across the city, including a sing-along to every child’s favorite movie this year – Frozen at Penn’s Landing. Also along the waterfront, there’s a free Pattern is Movement concert at Spruce Street Harbor Park and a summer luau at Morgan’s Pier with all-you-can-eat Hawaiian fare and tropical cocktails.
And don’t forget about the sold-out Dîner en Blanc, which will be popping up somewhere presumably beautiful later tonight. Dîner en Noir and Dîner en Sweatpants also join the fun for their first pop-up dining fete.
Dîner en Sweatpants still has availability offering options to people looking to join in on the pop-up dinner fun.
Read on for our complete picks for evening happenings tonight. And be sure to follow us on Twitter and Instagram for the latest updates as they happen.
• Taney Dragons in the Little League World Series: Local Little Leaguers, the Taney Dragons, have a do-or-die game tonight in the Little League World Series at 7:30. Last night’s game broke ESPN ratings records; you can expect everyone to be watching tonight’s game as well. Mayor Nutter will host a pep rally and watch party in the Mayor’s Reception Room at City Hall and Commerce Square will broadcast the action on its Media Wall. And bars across the city will be showing the game, including Alla Spina, Bottle Bar East, Jose Pistola’s and New Wave Cafe.
When: Thursday, August 21, 7:30 p.m
Where: Participating Locations
• Frozen Screening and Sing-along at Penn’s Landing: Sing your heart out to the music from Frozen as Penn’s Landing hosts a free screening and sing-along tonight at 8 p.m. Make the most of the summer evening and stop by Franklin Fountain for a scoop of ice cream before the show.
When: Thursday, August 21, 8 p.m.
Where: Penn’s Landing, 101 Columbus Boulevard
• Free Concert at Spruce Street Harbor Park: Pattern is Movement & Moon Bounce: Tonight, Spruce Street Harbor Park hosts its last free concert. Presented in conjunction with Weathervane Music tonight’s show features Philly-local bands Pattern is Movement with Moon Bounce. The concert is set to begin at 7:30 p.m.
When: Thursday, August 21, 7:30-10 p.m.
Where: Spruce Street Harbor Park, Columbus Boulevard at Spruce Street
• Free Screening of Pitch Perfect at the Schuylkill Banks: Sing along to Pitch Perfect as the Schuylkill Banks continues its free movie series this evening. Set to begin at 7:45 p.m. at the Schuylkill Banks at the Walnut Street Bridge, the musical comedy tells the story of a college acapella group. Get to the Schuylkill Banks a little early for free snacks, drinks and to take part in a free raffle.
When: Thursday, August 21, 7:45 p.m.
Where: Schuylkill Banks by the Walnut Street Bridge
• Summer Luau Under the Stars at Morgan’s Pier: Hawaii arrives at Morgan’s Pier as the waterfront beer garden hosts a summer luau complete with an all-you-can-eat cookout, umbrella drinks and of course some hula dancing. Admission is $20 per person and includes all-you-can-eat luau fare like whole-roasted pig with vanilla-rum barbecue sauce, grilled chicken satays with spicy peanut sambal, tuna poke and more. Special drinks, available for an additional cost, include a Hala Kahiki Shandy made with pineapple beer and lemonade, a tequila-spiked Puebla Colada and more.
When: Thursday, August 21, 6-10 p.m.
Where: Morgan’s Pier, 221 N. Columbus Boulevard
Cost: $20 (plus tax and gratuity)
• Summer on the Square at Chestnut Square: Make your way to Chestnut Square, located between 32nd and 33rd streets on Chestnut Street, for Summer on the Square, an outdoor dining and music series. Tonight, local singer/songwriter Anam Owili-Eger entertains guests while area restaurant like coZara, Zavino, Shake Shack and Vegetate serve up alfresco eats.
When: Thursday, August 21, 5-7 p.m.
Where: Chestnut Square, between 32nd and 33rd streets on Chestnut Street
Cost: Pay as you go
Tonight, Spruce Street Harbor Park hosts its last free concert of the summer season. (Photo by Matt Stanley courtesy DRWC)
• Essence of Entertainment Concert Series at The Dell Music Center: Tonight, two Grammy-winning jazz legends take the stage at the Fairmount Park venue: Al Jarreau and David Sanborn, for the Essence of Entertainment summer concert series. Tickets start at just $25 for the talent-driven show.
When: Thursday, August 21, 8 p.m.
Where: The Dell Music Center, 2400 Strawberry Mansion Drive
• Movie Night at Franklin Square: Tonight, Franklin Square screens two back-to-back movies inside of its pavilion. From 6 to 9 p.m., head to the historic park to watch The Last Man on Earth and The Wasp Woman. Admission is $20 and include soda, beer, wine and snacks during the films.
When: Thursday, August 21, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Franklin Square, 6th and Race Streets
• Thursday Night Concert Series at Morris Arboretum: Tonight, the beautiful Morris Arboretum hosts the last night of its weekly family-friendly concert series. Tonight, groove to music provided by Joanie Leeds & the Nightlights and Rock to the Future. Tickets vary in price for members and non-members and are subject to availability at the gate.
When: Thursday, August 21, 6:30-7:30 p.m
Where: Morris Arboretum, 100 E. Northwestern Avenue
Cost: In advance, non-member, $16 adults, $8 for children; In advance, member, $8 adult, $4 children; At gate (if available) non-member, $18 adult, $10 children; At gate, members $10 adult, $5 children
• Third Thursdee at Pizza Brain: Tonight, Pizza Brain and Little Baby’s Ice Cream team up to present the first ever vegan Third Thursdee with the help of Blackbird Pizzeria. Guests are invited to enjoy vegan pizza (complete with smoked tofu and facon — fake bacon), ice cream and complimentary beer from Victory Brewing Company. The vegan event runs from 6 to 8 p.m.
When: Thursday, August 21, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Pizza Brain, 2313 Frankford Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go
• Dîner en Blanc, Dîner en Noir and Dîner en Sweatpants: Tonight marks the annual Dîner en Blanc event, which is now sold out, but also joining the pop-up dining fun is Diner en Noir at an undisclosed location and Dîner en Sweatpants in Clark Park. Registration is still available for Dîner en Sweatpants (and Dîner en Sweatpants is free!).
When: Thursday, August 21
Where: Various Locations
• Ales for ALS at McCrossen’s Tavern: Drink a few brews for a good cause as McCrossen’s Tavern hosts a fundraiser for ALS tonight at 7 p.m. The bar is teaming up with Weyerbacher Brewing Company for the night of beer-fueled good times. Plus, Weyerbacher brewed a limited-edition beer for this event — Ales for ALS Imperial IPA — of which all of the proceeds benefit ALS research.
When: Thursday, August 21, 7 p.m.
Where: McCrossen’s Tavern, 529 N. 20th Street
Cost: Pay as you go