Save the date, people.
The 2012 Philadelphia International Flower Show, arriving at the Pennsylvania Convention Center March 4-11, is going to be epic.
This year’s theme is the “Islands of Aloha” and the Convention Center is going to be completely transformed into a Hawaiian paradise.
Even more exciting is the news that Flower Show will feature some brand new special effects this year, welcoming visitors with a multi-dimensional sensory experience as they enter the exhibition hall, including a breathtaking virtual wave wall (below) and Pele’s Garden (above) featuring a real 25-ft waterfall.
Guests will enter the 2012 Flower Show beneath dynamic projections of crashing waves and one of the largest and most exciting displays of white orchids and anthiriums ever assembled. Towering palms, bamboo, green walls, and a tropical plant canopy will immerse visitors in the Hawaiian rainforest. A 25-foot-high waterfall will splash down into Pele’s Garden, an island of exotic flowers and plants where performers will conjure volcanic flames and the Fire Goddess.
The marquee annual event of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS), and the world’s largest indoor flower show, the Philadelphia International Flower Show is without a doubt one of Philadelphia’s most iconic annual attractions.
This year, more than 10 acres of showcase gardens will highlight the flowers, plants, stories, art and culture of Hawaii’s six Big Islands.
In addition to the new special effects, this year’s Flower Show has a lot of other great features as well as some brand new elements.
• Redesigned show floor plan to improve access and ease flow through the exhibits.
• A new mobile app to provide info on exhibitors, free maps, schedules, special offers and parking advice.
• A new “Man Cave” sponsored by SugarHouse Casino with big-screen TVs, comfortable seating, sports activities and bar.
• Family Lounge with children’s activities, family crafts and the introduction of “The Lorax” movie.
• Free lectures and demos on topics such as green roofs and walls, organic gardening, vegetables, edible landscapes, native plants, tree and lawn care.
• Theme Nights: Monday’s LGBT Night, Wedding Wednesday and Girls Night Out.
• Hawaii Village: crafts and merchandise that pay tribute to the people of Hawaii.
• New guest chefs and a Hawaii-themed VIP restaurant at the center of the exhibition hall, and special Hawaii cocktails at the beverage stations.
• Expanded shopping at the 180 shops at the Show Marketplace, Flower Show Shop and Meadowbrook Farm Store. A new Green aisle in the Marketplace will feature sustainable products for home and garden.
Stay tuned; we’ll have a lot more on the Flower Show and the special activities and goings on in the weeks to come right here on Uwishunu.
In the meantime, you can get a head start by purchasing advance tickets online.
Check out one more sneak peek photo, below.
2012 Philadelphia International Flower Show
Where: Pennsylvania Convention Center, 12th and Arch Streets
When: March 4-11
Cost: Adults $27, Students $20, Children $15
More info: www.theflowershow.com
And a teaser video as well.