Put on your thinking cap, grab your magnifying glass, and do your best Sherlock Homes impression on a Watson Adventures scavenger hunt this summer.
A perfect way to explore Philadelphia — one of just eight cities across the country in which the tours are available — these hunts will challenge your powers of deduction as you and your team work to solve clues and uncover mysteries.
Played on teams of up to six people, no knowledge of any hunt location is required to participate but advance reservations are required for all hunts.
Aspiring detectives can view the entire calendar online, but here is a rundown of the summer’s upcoming schedule:
• Murder at the Philadelphia Museum: Saturday, June 15, 2 p.m. and Saturday, August 10, 2 p.m. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Set inside the Philadelphia Museum of Art, this challenging hunt involves murdered curator, a trail of clues, and secrets hidden in priceless works of art.
• Secrets of Old Philly: Thursday, July 4, 2 p.m. Starting at Walnut Street Between 4th and 5th streets. Celebrate Independence Day on the streets where our country was born. You may think you know all there is to know about the city’s history, but this adults-only hunt will stump even the most avid history buffs.
• Wizard School: Saturday, July 6, 2 p.m. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Inspired by the whimsical world of Harry Potter, this family-friendly hunt follows the footsteps of young wizards on a field trip to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Discover Hagrid-like giants, centaurs, unicorns and cloaked figures that could put a scare into any Dementor.
• Haunted Philadelphia: Saturday, July 20, 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, August 24, 7 p.m. Starting at Washington Square, 600 Walnut Street. In a city as rich in history as Philly, there’s bound to be some deceased souls that aren’t exactly resting in peace. Spooky spirits, secret cemeteries and eerie apparitions are lurking around every turn in this adults-only, after-dark hunt. Don’t forget a flashlight.
• Munch Around the Market: Saturday, July 27, noon. Reading Terminal Market, starting at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, 12th and Arch streets. Eat your way to victory in this delicious hunt, which takes place in and around Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown and other nearby spots. Be sure to bring your appetite and your thinking cap, as this adventure includes tricky questions, photo ops and food-sampling challenges.
Watson Adventures Scavenger Hunts
When: Selected dates all summer long
Where: Various spots around the city
Cost: Ranges from $22 to $39.50, depending on the hunt
More info: www.watsonadventures.com