There’s no snow in the forecast, Philadelphia! Despite a bit of precipitation, the city is alive with a ton of varied events all night long.
This evening, the Academy of Music welcomes the sounds of the award-winning musical, Porgy and Bess to its stage for a multi-day show of love and loss. Tap your toes to well-known songs like Summertime and It Ain’t Necessarily So.
Head to East Passyunk Avenue for an evening of mixing and mingling as the Bottle Shop hosts the recurring QOTA — Queers of the Avenue — happy hour featuring discounted beer, cocktails and complimentary snacks.
Plus, it’s pay-what-you-wish Wednesday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Explore the galleries housed in the main building, take part in yoga in Great Stair Hall, embark on themed tours and more for whatever price you’d like to pay.
Our top picks for tonight, below.
• The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess at The Academy of Music: Hear the sweet songs of the Gershwin brothers tonight as The Academy of Music hosts Porgy and Bess, an iconic American folk opera. The award-winning musical tells the story of Porgy, a crippled beggar whose life is forever changed when he falls for Bess, a woman who wants to break free from the clutches of a violent ex-lover and a troublesome suitor. The love story features classic songs like Summertime, It Ain’t Necessarily So and Roll them Bones. Tickets start at an affordable $20.
When: Wednesday, February 19, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Academy of Music, 240 S. Broad Street
• QOTA at The Bottle Shop: This evening, QOTA – Queers of the Avenue – returns to East Passyunk for a night of snacks, beer, cocktails and mingling. Head to The Bottle Shop from 6 to 9 p.m. to take part in the recurring event while sipping drinks with fellow Philadelphians.
When: Wednesday, February 19, 6-9 p.m.
Where: The Bottle Shop, 1837 E. Passyunk Avenue
Cost: Pay as you go
• Pay-What-You-Wish Wednesday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art: Stroll the galleries in the main building of the Philadelphia Museum of Art at whatever price you’d like to pay at the museum’s weekly pay-what-you-wish Wednesday event. Enjoy the regular Wednesday night offerings — art tours, free yoga, special talks — in addition to a visit from Hive76, a community of makers for a night of robot-on-robot battles.
When: Wednesday, February 19, 5-8:45 p.m.
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
• Welcome To Campus at Drexel University: It’s night one of the Welcome To Campus show at Drexel University, an immerse theatrical tour of the campus. Watch actors perform real-life stories from current college students about first dates, heartbreak, major changes and more. Along the tour, find yourself in front of some of Drexel’s most impressive buildings, crammed in the commuter lounge, squeezed in a freshman dorm and more. The immerse tour is slated for 7 p.m. and tickets are available online.
When: Wednesday, February 19, 7 p.m.
Where: Leaves from URBN Center Annex’s Black Box Theater, 3401 Filbert Street
• Academy Award-nominated Films at The Ritz Theaters: Leading up to the Academy Awards on Sunday, March 2, all Ritz Theater locations — Ritz East, Ritz Five and Ritz at The Bourse — screen Academy Award-nominated films. Screenings include Her, 12 Years a Slave and Inside Llewyn Davis. Plus the Ritz at The Bourse presents The Oscar Nominated Short Films 2014. Click here for movies, locations and showtimes. Movie night, anyone?
When: Wednesday, February 19
Where: Participating locations
• #WhyILovePhilly, Education Edition at ImpactHub Philadelphia: Celebrate Philadelphia’s education system at #WhyILovePhilly, Education Edition, an evening fete hosted by PhillyCORE Leaders and Flying Kite. Hear from members of the community who positively impacted education in 2013 and share insights for 2014 with Flying Kite, an online education-based magazne. Tickets are $15 for general admission and are available online.
When: Wednesday, February 19, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Impact Hub Philadelphia, 1227 N. 4th Street
Cost: $15 for general admission
• Phoster Philly Presents: Meet Phoster Philly: Tonight, mix and mingle with the founders and enthusiasts of Phoster Philly, a brand-new group that aims to educate the community via music, art and comedy. Tonight, visit the M Room in Fishtown for tons of live music, a chance to learn about the organization, drinks and more. For an entry fee of $3 per person, guests will be welcomed with a complimentary drink.
When: Wednesday, February 19, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Where: M Room, 15 W. Girard Avenue
Cost: $3 entry fee
• Le Cine at L’Etage: Once a month, L’Etage hosts a French film for free. Indulge in items from the lounge’s full food and drinks menus while enjoying a screening of Contempt, a romantic tragedy starring Brigitte Bardot. The film is slated to begin at 7:30 p.m.
When: Wednesday, February 19, 7:30 p.m.
Where: L’Etage, 624 S. 6th Street
Cost: Film, free; Food and drinks, pay as you go